Yet Another Failure to Install Fax Service in XP SP2

April 21, 2005 4:20:40 PM

I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
problems. Here are the details:

System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.

The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
local area code and default dialing rules.

Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then expanded
them and renamed them to their *.dll counterpart (I checked the file
properties on the expanded files; they're fine). It doesn't matter
where I point the install program, it is unable to copy the source
files to their destination. I have no choice but to cancel the
install program at that point.

I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
system event.

I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
running the install program appear to be successful (i.e., no problems
were logged).

Hopefully this information will help resolve the problem. I would
appreciate any advice or assistance.

Thanks,

- Steve Hull (MCSE)
April 21, 2005 4:20:41 PM

I replied to your other post but forgot to add. If you have a Dell laptop
and CDs for the installed apps and utilities including a madem. Check for
the modem utility it probably has Dells Phone Tools on it which also has
a Fax application you can install. It is a lot better than XPs Fax.

"Steve Hull" wrote:

> I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
> installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
> problems. Here are the details:
>
> System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
> immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
> my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
> of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
> Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.
>
> The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
> were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
> the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
> local area code and default dialing rules.
>
> Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
> Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
> Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
> problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
> files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
> locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
> Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then expanded
> them and renamed them to their *.dll counterpart (I checked the file
> properties on the expanded files; they're fine). It doesn't matter
> where I point the install program, it is unable to copy the source
> files to their destination. I have no choice but to cancel the
> install program at that point.
>
> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
> system event.
>
> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
> running the install program appear to be successful (i.e., no problems
> were logged).
>
> Hopefully this information will help resolve the problem. I would
> appreciate any advice or assistance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Steve Hull (MCSE)

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:45:34 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:00:04 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I replied to your other post but forgot to add.

I used a USENET cancel to cancel the 1st message about 4 minutes after
I sent it (wanted to make minor corrections). I guess there was a
tiny little window where people could have grabbed the 1st post before
the cancel hit your Usenet Server.

>If you have a Dell laptop and CDs for the installed apps and utilities including a madem. Check for
>the modem utility it probably has Dells Phone Tools on it which also has
>a Fax application you can install. It is a lot better than XPs Fax.

My Dell CDs are for XP Home. And, they're pre-SP2. So I'm not too
optimistic about this approach. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

- Steve

>"Steve Hull" wrote:
>
>> I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
>> installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
>> problems. Here are the details:
>>
>> System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
>> immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
>> my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
>> of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
>> Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.
>>
>> The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
>> were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
>> the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
>> local area code and default dialing rules.
>>
>> Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
>> Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
>> Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
>> problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
>> files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
>> locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
>> Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
>> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then expanded
>> them and renamed them to their *.dll counterpart (I checked the file
>> properties on the expanded files; they're fine). It doesn't matter
>> where I point the install program, it is unable to copy the source
>> files to their destination. I have no choice but to cancel the
>> install program at that point.
>>
>> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
>> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
>> system event.
>>
>> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
>> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
>> running the install program appear to be successful (i.e., no problems
>> were logged).
>>
>> Hopefully this information will help resolve the problem. I would
>> appreciate any advice or assistance.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Steve Hull (MCSE)

April 21, 2005 9:12:01 PM

I installed the XP fax program prior to installing SP2. SP2 has had no
impact on my problems:

1. XP only sends fax coversheets, not scanned docs. After I scan docs that
I want to fax, the scanner automatically opens the Windows Fax Console.
There seems to be no option to get the scanned doc to fax along with the
coversheet. Am I overlooking something?

2. I get the famous "The fax document cannot be displayed because your
operationg system does not have a default viewer for fax documents (.tif
files)" error when trying to open received faxes from the fax console. None
of the suggested solutions work.

Thanks for helping.

"Steve Hull" wrote:

> [...]
> >> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then expanded
> >> them and renamed them to their *.dll counterpart (I checked the file
> >> properties on the expanded files; they're fine). It doesn't matter
> >> where I point the install program, it is unable to copy the source
> >> files to their destination. I have no choice but to cancel the
> >> install program at that point.
> >>
> >> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
> >> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
> >> system event.
> >>
> >> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
> >> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
> >> running the install program appear to be successful (i.e., no problems
> >> were logged).
> >>
> >> Hopefully this information will help resolve the problem. I would

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:12:04 AM

What suggested solutions did you try?
What is your file association for TIF files?
Your question is most likely within the purview of your scanner software
support.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]