System cannot 'find' Print Spooler Service

April 23, 2005 12:36:01 AM

I'm not sure how it happened, but my printing abilities stopped suddenly. I
tried uninstalling and reinstalling my HP psc750 software and drivers but the
installation keeps failing to complete. Further research shows me that the
Print Spooler is stopped in the Computer Management/Service console. When I
attempt to start the print spooler service, the following error message pops
up:

"Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 2: The
system cannot find the file specified."

Services shows the spoolsv.exe file at: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

My Norton AntiVirus reports that the file is clean, however I keep getting
the message that the file cannot be found

While I'd like to know just where my Print Spooler file has gone, I REALLY
would like to know how to find/repair/reinstall the missing file(s) so I am
able to print again.

Data: Using XP Home w/SP1 and SP2 installed.

Any/all help will most Joyfully be accepted (and would get my wife off my
back as she REALLY needs to print some important documents!!)

Tim
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:47:03 AM

If you do a File Search (including Hidden Files and Folders) is that the
ONLY place you find the spoolsv.exe file?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Choirpower" <Choirpower@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure how it happened, but my printing abilities stopped suddenly.
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling my HP psc750 software and drivers but
> the
> installation keeps failing to complete. Further research shows me that
> the
> Print Spooler is stopped in the Computer Management/Service console. When
> attempt to start the print spooler service, the following error message
> pops
> up:
>
> "Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 2:
> The
> system cannot find the file specified."
>
> Services shows the spoolsv.exe file at: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
>
> My Norton AntiVirus reports that the file is clean, however I keep getting
> the message that the file cannot be found
>
> While I'd like to know just where my Print Spooler file has gone, I REALLY
> would like to know how to find/repair/reinstall the missing file(s) so I
> am
> able to print again.
>
> Data: Using XP Home w/SP1 and SP2 installed.
>
> Any/all help will most Joyfully be accepted (and would get my wife off my
> back as she REALLY needs to print some important documents!!)
>
> Tim

October 28, 2010 9:22:24 PM

this has just worked for me, if you have this problem, give this a try:

on the windows cd, copy SPOOLSV.EXE to C:\WINDOWS\system32. make sure the extension is exe (you might have to left click the file and add the last e), double click it.

right click my computer, click manage, on the left click services and applications, click services. on the right side, look for print spooler, double left click on it, select start, close the system services window.

this should fix that problem.
Related resources
December 3, 2010 5:13:35 PM

gmonly, you are THE MAN. I was searching for an answer to that same problem Tim was having, which is the error message, "Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. Wish I had found your post before I stayed up all night trying to find a fix for it! Many thanks. Drew

gmonly said:
this has just worked for me, if you have this problem, give this a try:

on the windows cd, copy SPOOLSV.EXE to C:\WINDOWS\system32. make sure the extension is exe (you might have to left click the file and add the last e), double click it.

right click my computer, click manage, on the left click services and applications, click services. on the right side, look for print spooler, double left click on it, select start, close the system services window.

this should fix that problem.

January 9, 2011 7:36:34 PM

this does not work for me - still get the message "cannot find the file specified" -
Please help !

gmonly said:
this has just worked for me, if you have this problem, give this a try:

on the windows cd, copy SPOOLSV.EXE to C:\WINDOWS\system32. make sure the extension is exe (you might have to left click the file and add the last e), double click it.

right click my computer, click manage, on the left click services and applications, click services. on the right side, look for print spooler, double left click on it, select start, close the system services window.

this should fix that problem.

August 18, 2012 3:58:42 AM

gmonly said:
this has just worked for me, if you have this problem, give this a try:

on the windows cd, copy SPOOLSV.EXE to C:\WINDOWS\system32. make sure the extension is exe (you might have to left click the file and add the last e), double click it.

right click my computer, click manage, on the left click services and applications, click services. on the right side, look for print spooler, double left click on it, select start, close the system services window.

this should fix that problem.

I have the same problem on my Acer computer but your solution to copy the file from the windows cd is not possible since when I bought it (best Buy) there were no CD's provided. Any other solution?
August 18, 2012 4:59:01 PM

try at start>run >services.msc

try to stop the service , restart, then go back and start it again and put it on automatic.
Also check dependencies of the service to be started and maybe automatic.

As for the replace, try borrowing a win cd, if not, U might have some old backups of it somewhere on your own pc.
I checked and have two backups in C:\Windows, in two of the many hidden folders.

Just give it a search in your c:\ for the *spoolsv.exe, but make sure U check the More Advanced Options of the search.
(check The Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders and Search subfolders)

:hello:

August 19, 2012 5:26:56 PM

Restoring SPOOLSV.EXE worked for me. The virus scanner had removed it after it became infected.
I found another copy in the the folder with the latest service pack SP3:
C:\windows\$hf_mig$\db2347290\sp3QFE\SPOOLSV.EXE

Once restored, starting the spooler was easy, and all the printer queue's reappeared under the PRINTERS AND FAXES list.
!