Dial up with cell phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 1, 2005 2:38:43 AM

My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and wants
to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or AOL.
Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days? Do they make phones
specifically for this function and how easy is it done? I told her I would
look into this for her and since some people here are very into what's going
on these days, I figured that would mean the best information.
Anyway...don't hate. :)

More about : dial cell phone

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:38:44 AM

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and wants
> to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or AOL.
> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days?

Yes, but it's not cheap.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:55:53 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:41:12 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and wants
>> to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or AOL.
>> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days?
>
>Yes, but it's not cheap.

Did I see some chatter in here a couple of weeks ago about VZW
starting to charge for using QNC/#777?
April 1, 2005 2:55:54 AM

>>Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>>> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and
>>> wants
>>> to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or AOL.
>>> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days?
>>
>>Yes, but it's not cheap.

What do you consider cheap. I have a Verizon America's Choice $34.95 300
minute plan and can access the internet using my minutes or go on between 9
PM and 6 AM week days as well as week-ends without using any minutes. I
don't believe the 300 minute plan is still available but the new America's
Choice plan is 450 minutes for $39.95. So for $39.95 plus applicable taxes
you can get both voice and data capability. Watch when you use it for data
and you will have almost unlimited time on the internet.

Don
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:55:55 AM

RVerDon wrote:

>>>Yes, but it's not cheap.
>

> What do you consider cheap. I have a Verizon America's Choice $34.95 300
> minute plan and can access the internet using my minutes

Yes, but as I said, the Minutes of Use and other cheaper plans are not meant to
be used with a laptop.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:03:20 AM

Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up? Looks like all
she would need is a capable phone and an office kit. Unlimited access to
dialup with cellular starts at $79.99. Nothing anywhere on Verizon's website
is clear at all about it...hence it makes it easy for them to change the
rules I guess anytime. I guess I'll need to spend hours online trying to
decipher and decrypt all their information and piece it together to explain
to some one.

news:D 2ifps$ekp$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and
>> wants to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internor AOL.
>> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days?
>
> Yes, but it's not cheap.
>

> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:03:21 AM

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up?

Well, here's the problem with that: Verizon's service that allows for that, and
Sprint's $15 flat-rate service too for that matter, disallow usage of a phone
hooked up as a modem. You can only use web browsing/applications on your phone.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:03:21 AM

It's discussed here all the time. It's a feature on your plan called
National Access that allows you to use your minutes for modem usage. Look
for those words on your bill under the features section. So assuming you
have National Access and free nights/weekends it's free during those times
and uses your minutes during the weekday. I use it quite often when I
travel. There's 14.4kb speed called QNC and 1x which has speeds up to
something like 144kb but averages 50-80kb/sec.

You can get the Mobile Office kit for your phone from VZW or do what a lot
of us do and get a cable off eBay along with the USB drivers. I think you
can probably just use your OS's dialer, but VZW's is available online at
various places. At least I downloaded it from somewhere--not
verizonwireless.com. You then need the directions for what to put in the
dialer which can also be found online or ask here when you get that far.

I can't tell you anything about the new EV-DO other than it's supposedly
much faster (500kb/sec??) and I don't think it works under National Access.
It's really new and there's just recently several EV-DO phones that have
been released as well as PC-Cards.

Hope this helps and ask if you need more info.

Steve

On 3/31/05 9:03 PM, in article 114pi09ria0ke1c@corp.supernews.com, "Xman(AKA
Mike)" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote:

> Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up? Looks like all
> she would need is a capable phone and an office kit. Unlimited access to
> dialup with cellular starts at $79.99. Nothing anywhere on Verizon's website
> is clear at all about it...hence it makes it easy for them to change the
> rules I guess anytime. I guess I'll need to spend hours online trying to
> decipher and decrypt all their information and piece it together to explain
> to some one.
>
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> news:D 2ifps$ekp$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
>> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>>> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and
>>> wants to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internor AOL.
>>> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days?
>>
>> Yes, but it's not cheap.
>>

>> --
>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>>
>> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:03:22 AM

news:D 2ilub$f8s$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up?
>
> Well, here's the problem with that: Verizon's service that allows for
> that, and Sprint's $15 flat-rate service too for that matter, disallow
> usage of a phone hooked up as a modem. You can only use web
> browsing/applications on your phone.
>Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Not true. I use my Verizon phone as a modem all the time. During peak
times it uses my minutes but off peak usage is unlimited and free.

Don
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:03:23 AM

RVerDon wrote:

> Not true. I use my Verizon phone as a modem all the time. During peak
> times it uses my minutes but off peak usage is unlimited and free.

I'm looking at the VZW site, but it doesn't say much about the plans that
include data and only use airtime. I distinctly remember the policy being
similar to what Sprint has with their $15 unlimited PCS Vision data package.

But I'll have to look for the supporting evidence tomorrow...

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:34:11 AM

Yea, that would be a good solution for her to get a National plan and just
use her minutes at night or weekends for her Internet usage. A connectivity
kit will have to be purchased if she goes this route, but what will she be
connecting to? What ISP service? Does Verizon have their own proprietary
dialup numbers or some thing or will she need to subscribe to some thing
else? I mean, she just can't call AOL from her cell phone and connect, can
she?

"Steve Johnson" <sjohnson29@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's discussed here all the time. It's a feature on your plan called
> National Access that allows you to use your minutes for modem usage. Look
> for those words on your bill under the features section. So assuming you
> have National Access and free nights/weekends it's free during those times
> and uses your minutes during the weekday. I use it quite often when I
> travel. There's 14.4kb speed called QNC and 1x which has speeds up to
> something like 144kb but averages 50-80kb/sec.
>
> You can get the Mobile Office kit for your phone from VZW or do what a lot
> of us do and get a cable off eBay along with the USB drivers. I think you
> can probably just use your OS's dialer, but VZW's is available online at
> various places. At least I downloaded it from somewhere--not
> verizonwireless.com. You then need the directions for what to put in the
> dialer which can also be found online or ask here when you get that far.
>
> I can't tell you anything about the new EV-DO other than it's supposedly
> much faster (500kb/sec??) and I don't think it works under National
> Access.
> It's really new and there's just recently several EV-DO phones that have
> been released as well as PC-Cards.
>
> Hope this helps and ask if you need more info.
>
> Steve
>

> On 3/31/05 9:03 PM, in article 114pi09ria0ke1c@corp.supernews.com,
> "Xman(AKA
> Mike)" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up? Looks like
>> all
>> she would need is a capable phone and an office kit. Unlimited access to
>> dialup with cellular starts at $79.99. Nothing anywhere on Verizon's
>> website
>> is clear at all about it...hence it makes it easy for them to change the
>> rules I guess anytime. I guess I'll need to spend hours online trying to
>> decipher and decrypt all their information and piece it together to
>> explain
>> to some one.
>>
>> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> news:D 2ifps$ekp$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
>>>
>>> Yes, but it's not cheap.
>>>

>>> --
>>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
>>> (4638)
>>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>>>
>>> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:34:12 AM

"Xman(AKA Mike)" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote in message
> Yea, that would be a good solution for her to get a National plan and just
> use her minutes at night or weekends for her Internet usage. A
> connectivity kit will have to be purchased if she goes this route, but
> what will she be connecting to? What ISP service? Does Verizon have their
> own proprietary dialup numbers or some thing or will she need to subscribe
> to some thing else? I mean, she just can't call AOL from her cell phone
> and connect, can she?

Sure she can. I subscribe to Comcast at home and get my e-mail using
Outlook Express while traveling with my laptop. You can do the same with
AOL. Another alternative is to quit AOL and use Verizon as your ISP and get
your e-mail through Yahoo or some other free e-mail service.

Don
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:34:12 AM

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> Yea, that would be a good solution for her to get a National plan and
> just use her minutes at night or weekends for her Internet usage. A
> connectivity kit will have to be purchased if she goes this route,
> but what will she be connecting to? What ISP service? Does Verizon
> have their own proprietary dialup numbers or some thing or will she
> need to subscribe to some thing else? I mean, she just can't call AOL
> from her cell phone and connect, can she?

You can call AOL direct with QNC (low speed), or for high speed, log on to
www.aol.com after you connect.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:43:28 AM

check at:
in the file section, see:
Verizon Internet Connectivity Tutorial
(3/30/05)

Lots of good advice and instruction over there. Lots of users currently
using their Verizon phones for internet access.

Pepperoni

> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and
wants
> to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or AOL.
> Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days? Do they make phones
> specifically for this function and how easy is it done? I told her I would
> look into this for her and since some people here are very into what's
going
> on these days, I figured that would mean the best information.
> Anyway...don't hate. :)

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:52:40 AM

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>Did I see some chatter in here a couple of weeks ago about VZW
>starting to charge for using QNC/#777?

I made some test calls using #777. They showed up on my bill as regular minutes.
My plan does not have nights and weekends free, so I don't know if that works...
April 1, 2005 10:46:03 AM

I would suggest getting NationalAccess or BroadBand wireless Internet access
from Verizon - if it is to be used on a laptop.

As someone said - its not cheap. Unlimited around 80 green men a month.
Probably get faster speed than using a cell phone as the modem. Check it out
at these URLs:

For the plan:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

For the laptop cards:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

(Scroll down to the cards, there are three or four).

This is only one way to go - there are quite a few others, as others might
advise you. I'd say do some research.

HTH

Shiva

"Xman(AKA Mike)" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote in message
> My ex-girlfriend is looking for an alternative to a dial-up phone and
> wants to use a cell phone with her laptop to dial-up to the Internet or
> AOL. Whatever. Is this a feasible idea these days? Do they make phones
> specifically for this function and how easy is it done? I told her I would
> look into this for her and since some people here are very into what's
> going on these days, I figured that would mean the best information.
> Anyway...don't hate. :)

April 1, 2005 12:51:14 PM

RVerDon wrote:

> Sure she can. I subscribe to Comcast at home and get my e-mail using
> Outlook Express while traveling with my laptop. You can do the same with
> AOL. Another alternative is to quit AOL and use Verizon as your ISP and get
> your e-mail through Yahoo or some other free e-mail service.
>
> Don

Danger, danger don't do that because aol "protects" you when using the
Internet... Do you want to have spaghetti sauce and jello all over your
ham sandwich?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:02:13 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

>> What do you consider cheap. I have a Verizon America's
>> Choice $34.95 300 minute plan and can access the
>> internet using my minutes
>
> Yes, but as I said, the Minutes of Use and other cheaper
> plans are not meant to be used with a laptop.

Depends on usage. If you are using any significant amount
of time during peak hours an unlimited data plan will be
cheaper.

-Quick
April 1, 2005 2:12:57 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:49:58 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>> What do you consider cheap. I have a Verizon America's Choice $34.95 300
>> minute plan and can access the internet using my minutes
>
>Yes, but as I said, the Minutes of Use and other cheaper plans are not meant to
>be used with a laptop.

Verizon does not have their act together. Their web pages say things
actual contracts do not. My actual AC2 contract allows data usage
(Explicitly states it includes National Enhanced Service). This as been
confirmed in writing (email) as including data. I am billed airtime only.

My account has also been noted that I only use air time, I called back a
few days later and another rep found the notation.

I have used data a number of times, incurred no data charges, just minutes
used.

It is extremely clear that "Verizon's intent" is unknown, since actual
contacts have different wording than published on the web and different
representatives give different answers.

The only clear statement (clear is not always correct :-( was from A
Verizon data technical representative. Verizon blocks some devices from
being put on an AC2 plan such as PC Card modems and PDA's. Their computers
simply won't allow such devices to be activated on an AC2 plan.

Verizon does reserve the right to change things at any time. However, any
change in terms releases one from early termination fees.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 1, 2005 2:16:29 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:25:59 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> Can't you just use the minutes on your plan when dialing up?
>
>Well, here's the problem with that: Verizon's service that allows for that, and
>Sprint's $15 flat-rate service too for that matter, disallow usage of a phone
>hooked up as a modem. You can only use web browsing/applications on your phone.

My actual AC2 contract dose not disallow such usage and explicitly
includes National Enhanced Services.

Verizon's web pages don't match actual contracts. I've already posted I
confirmed data usage for air time with their Data group.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 1, 2005 3:25:12 PM

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>
>> Did I see some chatter in here a couple of weeks ago about VZW
>> starting to charge for using QNC/#777?
>

> I made some test calls using #777. They showed up on my bill as
> regular minutes. My plan does not have nights and weekends free, so I
> don't know if that works...

Yeah, there was the typical "sky is falling stuff". Funny how millions of
people are using it free, but some of the whackos in here have to dump on it
and say you will be charged, when not a single person has been yet.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:57:53 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
>> The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>>
>>> Did I see some chatter in here a couple of weeks ago
>>> about VZW starting to charge for using QNC/#777?
>>

>> I made some test calls using #777. They showed up on my
>> bill as regular minutes. My plan does not have nights
>> and weekends free, so I don't know if that works...
>

> Yeah, there was the typical "sky is falling stuff". Funny
> how millions of people are using it free, but some of the
> whackos in here have to dump on it and say you will be
> charged, when not a single person has been yet.

Some people prefer to go by what is stated in a contract.
It's always good to know both what is "by the book" and
what is "in practice" (at the moment) and then make your
decision.

I just refi'd. I noted a clause in a rider that stated the
lender *could* require me to get earthquake insurance
(*very* expensive here). I asked the broker about it and
was told "oh, it's a boiler plate rider, they don't require
anybody to get it"...

-Quick
April 1, 2005 8:38:04 PM

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> #777? All I get is "your call cannot be completed as dialed" when I call
> that string.

Unless you are a modem ya gotta let your computer call that number.
The tower knows the difference..

Jim
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:18:13 PM

Every response has another contradicting it. And every contradicting
response has another response that says some thing different anyway. It's
all a confusing mess. It's evident that the "real" information isn't
anywhere to be found, and certainly not on Verizon's website. Since
everything is so vague and unclear, I'm recommending to her to stay away
from using Verizon for Internet access, since she'll be paying too much as
it seems. Convenient to have for sure, but I would have liked to seen some
definitive information from the company itself. Thanks for all the responses
and all the other ones that were contradicting them! :)

news:D 2irda$haj$3@ratbert.glorb.com...
> RVerDon wrote:
>
>> Not true. I use my Verizon phone as a modem all the time. During peak
>> times it uses my minutes but off peak usage is unlimited and free.
>
> I'm looking at the VZW site, but it doesn't say much about the plans that
> include data and only use airtime. I distinctly remember the policy being
> similar to what Sprint has with their $15 unlimited PCS Vision data
> package.
>
> But I'll have to look for the supporting evidence tomorrow...
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:18:14 PM

Sure it is, and you absolutely will *NOT* see anything about it on the
website...

Why don't you go to a place that has REAL informations, and thousands of
people that use it all the time... Rather than listen to the people in here
that have NEVER used it, and have NO CLUE what they are babbling about.

Yahoo groups ... InternetByCellphone....

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> Every response has another contradicting it. And every contradicting
> response has another response that says some thing different anyway.
> It's all a confusing mess. It's evident that the "real" information
> isn't anywhere to be found, and certainly not on Verizon's website.
> Since everything is so vague and unclear, I'm recommending to her to
> stay away from using Verizon for Internet access, since she'll be
> paying too much as it seems. Convenient to have for sure, but I would
> have liked to seen some definitive information from the company
> itself. Thanks for all the responses and all the other ones that were
> contradicting them! :)
>
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> news:D 2irda$haj$3@ratbert.glorb.com...
>> RVerDon wrote:
>>
>>> Not true. I use my Verizon phone as a modem all the time. During
>>> peak times it uses my minutes but off peak usage is unlimited and
>>> free.
>>
>> I'm looking at the VZW site, but it doesn't say much about the plans
>> that include data and only use airtime. I distinctly remember the
>> policy being similar to what Sprint has with their $15 unlimited PCS
>> Vision data package.
>>
>> But I'll have to look for the supporting evidence tomorrow...
>>
>> --
>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
>> (4638) Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP:
>> 0xE3AE35ED "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:18:15 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> Sure it is, and you absolutely will *NOT* see anything
> about it on the website...
>
> Why don't you go to a place that has REAL informations,
> and thousands of people that use it all the time...
> Rather than listen to the people in here that have NEVER
> used it, and have NO CLUE what they are babbling about.

I had the impression that you do some sort of technical
consulting for a living? I would expect that to require some
basic logic skills. The fact that you (or even thousands) use
it and haven't been charged for it does not assert that you
(or anyone else) won't be charged for it tomorrow.

Yea right. Thousands of people can't be wrong.
Especially in some REAL usenet group with REAL informations.

Of course thousands upon thousands will tell you that
they don't pay taxes and that it's not legal for the
government to collect them...

How about just reading the contract and terms of use?
nahhh...

It may be the case that they are not charging (now)
for something that they could charge for. It may be the
case that they have no intent to charge for it in the
forseeable future. That doesn't negate a contract or
restrict them from enforcing it at any time.

Some people actually want to know that information.
Not everybody wants to take the position of "I'll
just start paying for it or quit using it when they start
charging for it".

Is that so hard to understand?

-Quick
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:31:32 AM

> Every response has another contradicting it. And every contradicting
> response has another response that says some thing different anyway. It's
> all a confusing mess. It's evident that the "real" information isn't
> anywhere to be found, and certainly not on Verizon's website. Since
> everything is so vague and unclear, I'm recommending to her to stay away
> from using Verizon for Internet access, since she'll be paying too much as
> it seems. Convenient to have for sure, but I would have liked to seen some
> definitive information from the company itself. Thanks for all the

It never ceases to amaze me to see some of the information posted as fact on
newsgroups by people who do not use a Verizon phone to access the internet,
have never used one and don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.
As I have posted previously, I have been using my Verizon phone to access
the internet for two years now. If I use it during peak hours it uses my
minutes. If I don't exceed my plan minutes there is no additional cost. If
I use it during off peak hours there is no charge whatsoever. When I signed
up for my original plan, America's Choice 300 minute plan for $34.95 plus
taxes, being able to use my phone as a modem was part of the deal. The
Verizon rep helped me get set it up to use the phone as a modem. They even
sell a mobile office kit which includes the software and cable needed to use
your phone as a modem.

You recommendation to stay away from using Verizon is based on a lot of
mis-information and wrong IMO. I don't think the $34.95 plan I have is
still available but there is a 450 minute plan for $39.95 available. If she
doesn't exceed the 450 minutes during peak hours then there is no
additional cost. She can stay online as long as she wants during nights and
week-ends for no additional cost. There are a lot of people using their
phone for internet access as I do and I seriously doubt Verizon is going to
eliminate this service. They would lose a lot of customers if they do.

Don
April 2, 2005 3:45:14 AM

"Xman\(AKA Mike\)" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote:
: Every response has another contradicting it. And every contradicting
: response has another response that says some thing different anyway. It's
: all a confusing mess. It's evident that the "real" information isn't
: anywhere to be found, and certainly not on Verizon's website. Since
: everything is so vague and unclear, I'm recommending to her to stay away
: from using Verizon for Internet access, since she'll be paying too much as
: it seems. Convenient to have for sure, but I would have liked to seen some
: definitive information from the company itself. Thanks for all the responses
: and all the other ones that were contradicting them! :)

Very simple answer: Verizon in theory could start charging people
with National Access for using the 3G network with a laptop...but for
now they aren't. Many of us will testify that we use our phones to
put our laptops on the internet with National Access and have never
been charged for it (beyond using voice minutes).

Your friend could simply try it as we all did and find out for herself
that she won't be charged. She could just try it for a few minutes as
a test if she's worried about it, then look at her next bill if she's
worry about some huge charge next month or something.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 2, 2005 2:59:34 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:31:32 -0800, "RVerDon" <anynews@comcast.net> wrote:

>You recommendation to stay away from using Verizon is based on a lot of
>mis-information and wrong IMO.

Of course, that mis-information is published on Verizon's web site. Kind
of hard to wonder why Verizon published it, knows it and doesn't change
it.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 2, 2005 2:59:35 PM

gerry wrote:
> [original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth]
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:31:32 -0800, "RVerDon" <anynews@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> You recommendation to stay away from using Verizon is based on a lot
>> of mis-information and wrong IMO.
>
> Of course, that mis-information is published on Verizon's web site.
> Kind of hard to wonder why Verizon published it, knows it and doesn't
> change it.
>
> gerry

DUDE! Wake up and learn to READ, or at least go to the website rather than
one in your imagination.... NONE.. repeat ***ABSOLUTELTY NONE** of what he
talked about is on the verizon website.... You may have some bad drugs and
hallucinating...
April 2, 2005 6:06:05 PM

Peter Pan wrote:

>>Of course, that mis-information is published on Verizon's web site.
>>Kind of hard to wonder why Verizon published it, knows it and doesn't
>>change it.
>>
>>gerry
>

> DUDE! Wake up and learn to READ, or at least go to the website rather than
> one in your imagination.... NONE.. repeat ***ABSOLUTELTY NONE** of what he
> talked about is on the verizon website.... You may have some bad drugs and
> hallucinating...

Just pick the Americas choice plan on vzw.com and this is found at the
end of "Additional Calling Plan Information":

Internet Access
Mobile Office Kits, PC Cards, PDAs or other wireless modem devices may
not be used for Internet access without a subscription to select
VZAccess plans.

Verizon Wireless Calling Plans, Rate and Coverage Areas, rates,
agreement provisions, business practices, procedures and policies are
subject to change as specified in the Customer Agreement.

ACB0205

I use a mobile office kit and I agree that the prohibitions are not
currently enforced but it isn't unreasonable to wonder if next months
bill will be a whopper because they have asserted the prohibitions.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:09:42 PM

OK then...

Fact:

I DO get charged per KB when I use the high speed data, period. I've
had to move to the slower QNC to get online using just my minutes.

So, I agree. It never ceases to amaze me to see some imformation here
posted as fact. Thing is, you don't sound clueless.

Just wrong.
April 3, 2005 5:26:12 AM

Chris Tarr <broadcastdoc@gmail.com> wrote:
: Fact:

: I DO get charged per KB when I use the high speed data, period. I've
: had to move to the slower QNC to get online using just my minutes.

What kind of plan do you have? I'm guessing it's not the America's
Choice plan, which is what the rest of us who do not get charged for
data (beyond eating up voice minutes) have. If you don't have
America's Choice, you probably will get charged for data.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 3, 2005 2:03:42 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:16:57 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>gerry wrote:
>> [original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth]
>> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:31:32 -0800, "RVerDon" <anynews@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> You recommendation to stay away from using Verizon is based on a lot
>>> of mis-information and wrong IMO.
>>
>> Of course, that mis-information is published on Verizon's web site.
>> Kind of hard to wonder why Verizon published it, knows it and doesn't
>> change it.
>>
>> gerry
>
>DUDE! Wake up and learn to READ, or at least go to the website rather than
>one in your imagination.... NONE.. repeat ***ABSOLUTELTY NONE** of what he
>talked about is on the verizon website.... You may have some bad drugs and
>hallucinating...

Clearly posted by someone who doesn't read.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 3, 2005 2:21:24 PM

On 2 Apr 2005 16:09:42 -0800, "Chris Tarr" <broadcastdoc@gmail.com> wrote:

>OK then...
>
>Fact:
>
>I DO get charged per KB when I use the high speed data, period. I've
>had to move to the slower QNC to get online using just my minutes.
>
>So, I agree. It never ceases to amaze me to see some imformation here
>posted as fact. Thing is, you don't sound clueless.
>
>Just wrong

Of course you don't say what plan you have so it doesn't supply a context.

Both my previous AC and current AC2 CONTRACTS include National Enhanced
Service Access. (1X data)

Others claim Q2N (low speed data as included, the Verizon's web page
verbiage explicitly exclude ANY data on AC and AC2.

So I can read a web page or read my contract. The only consistent message
I can get from Verizon is when I ask them to explain National Ensconced
Service Access on my contract. So far all have indicated that meant data
at with appropriate air time charges as well.

It all comes down to getting a definition of National Enhanced Service
Access, which is included on new AC2 contracts (and older ones) in my
market.

The confusion is widespread at Verizon and in this forum. Verizon's
contracts (in my market) are worded extremely different that their web
pages. Retail and 611 reps have very different answers!

As long as Verizon remains totally confused, it is reasonable to expect
individuals to be very confused.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 4, 2005 2:26:53 AM

> As long as Verizon remains totally confused, it is reasonable to expect
> individuals to be very confused.
>
> gerry

Well maybe you're confused but regardless of what Verizon says there are
thousands of us using our cell phones as modems and only paying the
America's Choice fee. I have been doing it for over two years now and plan
to continue to do so.

Don
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:08:48 AM

RVerDon wrote:
>> As long as Verizon remains totally confused, it is
>> reasonable to expect individuals to be very confused.
>>
>> gerry
>
> Well maybe you're confused but regardless of what Verizon
> says there are thousands of us using our cell phones as
> modems and only paying the America's Choice fee. I have
> been doing it for over two years now and plan to continue
> to do so.

I followed that until the "plan to continue to do so". Is that
true if they start charging you?

We all know there have been people doing it for free
for quite some time with different options, plans, etc.
It doesn't look like it's going to get cut off completely
tomorrow.

The point is that when people ask the answer is NOT
"Yes it's included". The answer is "Your contract and
terms of use do not include it. However VZW has not
charge for it in the past and may continue that
practice."

It really doesn't matter much for the casual user and
those that figure they will use it as long as it's free and
stop when it's not, but some actually care what the
official policy is and what they can count on longer
term.

-Quick
April 4, 2005 12:19:24 PM

> It really doesn't matter much for the casual user and
> those that figure they will use it as long as it's free and
> stop when it's not, but some actually care what the
> official policy is and what they can count on longer
> term.
>
> -Quick

The reality is that no one can count on a longer term. The contract itself
specifies that VZW can change the terms pretty much at their discretion.
Having said that, I'd say that data access via the standard AC and AC2
National Access plans are as solid as anything else that is available now.
Regardless of if it is "in your contract" or not. Hmm... "Contract"...
yeah, whatever!

-Frank
April 5, 2005 2:49:15 AM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:19:24 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>> It really doesn't matter much for the casual user and
>> those that figure they will use it as long as it's free and
>> stop when it's not, but some actually care what the
>> official policy is and what they can count on longer
>> term.
>>
>> -Quick
>
>The reality is that no one can count on a longer term. The contract itself
>specifies that VZW can change the terms pretty much at their discretion.
>Having said that, I'd say that data access via the standard AC and AC2
>National Access plans are as solid as anything else that is available now.
>Regardless of if it is "in your contract" or not. Hmm... "Contract"...
>yeah, whatever!

The only customer escape is if they change the terms one is not liable for
the early termination fee.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 7, 2005 8:24:59 AM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:06:05 -0500, in alt.cellular.verizon you wrote:

>Peter Pan wrote:
>
>>>Of course, that mis-information is published on Verizon's web site.
>>>Kind of hard to wonder why Verizon published it, knows it and doesn't
>>>change it.
>>>
>>>gerry
>>

>> DUDE! Wake up and learn to READ, or at least go to the website rather than
>> one in your imagination.... NONE.. repeat ***ABSOLUTELTY NONE** of what he
>> talked about is on the verizon website.... You may have some bad drugs and
>> hallucinating...
>>

>Just pick the Americas choice plan on vzw.com and this is found at the
>end of "Additional Calling Plan Information":
>
>Internet Access
>Mobile Office Kits, PC Cards, PDAs or other wireless modem devices may
>not be used for Internet access without a subscription to select
>VZAccess plans.
>
>Verizon Wireless Calling Plans, Rate and Coverage Areas, rates,
>agreement provisions, business practices, procedures and policies are
>subject to change as specified in the Customer Agreement.
>
>ACB0205
>
>I use a mobile office kit and I agree that the prohibitions are not
>currently enforced but it isn't unreasonable to wonder if next months
>bill will be a whopper because they have asserted the prohibitions.

Hi,

I have a quick question. Is it possible, at all, to somehow plug my old
Brother fax machine into my cell phone and send a fax? I'm talking
about plugging an RJ11 male plug expecting an analog signal into an
older Audiovox CDM9100 (somehow) :-). Are there adapter/converters
available?

Thanks!
Larry

PS This (not being able to send a fax) is my only regret dumping my
landline at home...
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:25:00 AM

Larry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question. Is it possible, at all, to somehow plug my
> old Brother fax machine into my cell phone and send a fax? I'm
> talking about plugging an RJ11 male plug expecting an analog signal
> into an older Audiovox CDM9100 (somehow) :-). Are there
> adapter/converters available?
>
> Thanks!
> Larry
>
> PS This (not being able to send a fax) is my only regret dumping my
> landline at home...

Possible, but rather expensive and a royal hassle.

Check out the Phonecell products at http://www.telular.com/ not only does
fax, but also allows credit card machines to connect wirelessly.
Has a cell phone along with some other electronics inside a box that accept
rj11 jacks. (Provides a dial tone to attached devices, and makes it similar
to a switchboard with a tie line)
!