Faxing causes Application to Hang

XP Professional SP2 and Office 2003 SP1. When faxing using outlook contacts
the fax is sent, however, the active application hangs. This consistently
occurs within Office Suite apps and 3rd party apps installed on the PC.
Event viewer only displays the error 1001 generic application hang error.
This is happening on only 1 PC in the office, all other PC's configured the
same have no issue. The server is running Windows 2003 Small Business Server.

Any ideas?
--
Deb O.
3 answers Last reply

    Never seen this reported.
    What application hangs?
    What client fax software?
    How was integration with Outlook established?
    How is faxing initiated?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Deb O" <DebO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Professional SP2 and Office 2003 SP1. When faxing using outlook
    > contacts
    > the fax is sent, however, the active application hangs. This consistently
    > occurs within Office Suite apps and 3rd party apps installed on the PC.
    > Event viewer only displays the error 1001 generic application hang error.
    > This is happening on only 1 PC in the office, all other PC's configured
    > the
    > same have no issue. The server is running Windows 2003 Small Business
    > Server.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > Deb O.

    It occurs within Word 2003, Excel 2003, and a third-party app (Soapware).
    Interestingly enough I have found that within each entry in the Application
    log the application hang message notes a dll as one of the faulting modules.
    It's emsmdb32.dll (stored in C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\System\MSMAPI\1033)

    I have searched technet and haven't found any articles that address this.
    We're using the Fax service on the Windows 2003 Small Business Server and
    there is no third party fax software in use. When the fax is sent, the
    client is using the outlook contacts that are stored in a public folder on
    the Exchange server to retrieve the fax number. The faxes are being
    successfully sent to their destination which means that the failure of this
    dll occurs once the fax is transmitted???

    Does anyone know what the functionality of this dll is? The properties
    indicate it is an Exchange Information Store Service Provider.
    --
    Deb O.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Never seen this reported.
    > What application hangs?
    > What client fax software?
    > How was integration with Outlook established?
    > How is faxing initiated?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Deb O" <DebO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > XP Professional SP2 and Office 2003 SP1. When faxing using outlook
    > > contacts
    > > the fax is sent, however, the active application hangs. This consistently
    > > occurs within Office Suite apps and 3rd party apps installed on the PC.
    > > Event viewer only displays the error 1001 generic application hang error.
    > > This is happening on only 1 PC in the office, all other PC's configured
    > > the
    > > same have no issue. The server is running Windows 2003 Small Business
    > > Server.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > > --
    > > Deb O.

    Well, for starters you're posting in the wrong group. This group supports
    Windows XP Fax, not the SBS fax client. You might want to seek out an SBS or
    Exchange group for help on this one.
    --
    > It occurs within Word 2003, Excel 2003, and a third-party app (Soapware).
    > Interestingly enough I have found that within each entry in the
    > Application
    > log the application hang message notes a dll as one of the faulting
    > modules.
    > It's emsmdb32.dll (stored in C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\System\MSMAPI\1033)
    >
    > I have searched technet and haven't found any articles that address this.
    > We're using the Fax service on the Windows 2003 Small Business Server and
    > there is no third party fax software in use. When the fax is sent, the
    > client is using the outlook contacts that are stored in a public folder on
    > the Exchange server to retrieve the fax number. The faxes are being
    > successfully sent to their destination which means that the failure of
    > this
    > dll occurs once the fax is transmitted???
    >
    > Does anyone know what the functionality of this dll is? The properties
    > indicate it is an Exchange Information Store Service Provider.
    > --
    > Deb O.
    >

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Never seen this reported.
    >> What application hangs?
    >> What client fax software?
    >> How was integration with Outlook established?
    >> How is faxing initiated?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Deb O" <DebO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > XP Professional SP2 and Office 2003 SP1. When faxing using outlook
    >> > contacts
    >> > the fax is sent, however, the active application hangs. This
    >> > consistently
    >> > occurs within Office Suite apps and 3rd party apps installed on the PC.
    >> > Event viewer only displays the error 1001 generic application hang
    >> > error.
    >> > This is happening on only 1 PC in the office, all other PC's configured
    >> > the
    >> > same have no issue. The server is running Windows 2003 Small Business
    >> > Server.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> > --
    >> > Deb O.