Manual send with XP Fax?

Hi,
I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business. While I
was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The customer's fax
number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax caused the
telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected me to press
a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I couldn't
find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was this manual
send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer? If so, Is
it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
Regards,
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about manual send

    "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
    > While I
    > was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
    > customer's fax
    > number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
    > caused the
    > telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
    > me to press
    > a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
    > couldn't
    > find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
    > this manual
    > send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
    > If so, Is
    > it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
    > Regards,
    > Mike

    The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
    voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
    expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
    machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
    five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
    the handshake to occur.

    If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
    would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
    talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
    see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
    phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
    is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
    Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
    pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.

    In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
    CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
    complete.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:

    > "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
    > > While I
    > > was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
    > > customer's fax
    > > number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
    > > caused the
    > > telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
    > > me to press
    > > a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
    > > couldn't
    > > find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
    > > this manual
    > > send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
    > > If so, Is
    > > it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
    > > Regards,
    > > Mike
    >
    > The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
    > voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
    > expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
    > machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
    > five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
    > the handshake to occur.
    >
    > If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
    > would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
    > talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
    > see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
    > phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
    > is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
    > Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
    > pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
    >
    > In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
    > CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
    > complete.
    >

    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

    Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
    ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
    Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that CNG
    tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
    Regards,
    Mike

    You can do a manual send by connecting a phone to the "Phone" jack on the
    modem (so you have manual voice access to the telephone line) and setting
    your modem to NOT wait for a dial tone (on Windows XP, 'Control Panel|Phone
    and Modem Options|Modems|Properties|Modem' uncheck the "Wait for dial tone
    before dialing" checkbox). You call the manual, operator controlled fax
    machine number with the telephone. You have your fax ready to send with a 1
    or 2 digit FALSE phone number. You then tell the Fax Machine operator to
    press his "Start" button as soon as he hears your short, false phone number
    finish dialing. Your modem should "blind dial" the false number, the two
    modems should begin their negotiation sequence, and finish the transmission.

    This method is very similar to what you'd do with two dedicated Fax
    Machines.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "MikeFromUK" <MikeFromUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:
    >

    > > "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
    > > > While I
    > > > was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
    > > > customer's fax
    > > > number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
    > > > caused the
    > > > telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
    > > > me to press
    > > > a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
    > > > couldn't
    > > > find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
    > > > this manual
    > > > send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
    > > > If so, Is
    > > > it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Mike
    > >
    > > The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
    > > voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
    > > expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
    > > machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
    > > five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
    > > the handshake to occur.
    > >
    > > If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
    > > would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
    > > talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
    > > see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
    > > phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
    > > is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
    > > Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
    > > pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
    > >
    > > In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
    > > CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
    > > complete.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Earl F. Parrish
    >

    > Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
    > ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
    > Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that
    CNG
    > tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
    > Regards,
    > Mike

    MikefromUK

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

    > You can do a manual send by connecting a phone to the "Phone" jack on the
    > modem (so you have manual voice access to the telephone line) and setting
    > your modem to NOT wait for a dial tone (on Windows XP, 'Control Panel|Phone
    > and Modem Options|Modems|Properties|Modem' uncheck the "Wait for dial tone
    > before dialing" checkbox). You call the manual, operator controlled fax
    > machine number with the telephone. You have your fax ready to send with a 1
    > or 2 digit FALSE phone number. You then tell the Fax Machine operator to
    > press his "Start" button as soon as he hears your short, false phone number
    > finish dialing. Your modem should "blind dial" the false number, the two
    > modems should begin their negotiation sequence, and finish the transmission.
    >
    > This method is very similar to what you'd do with two dedicated Fax
    > Machines.
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "MikeFromUK" <MikeFromUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
    > > > voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
    > > > expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
    > > > machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
    > > > five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
    > > > the handshake to occur.
    > > >
    > > > If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
    > > > would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
    > > > talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
    > > > see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
    > > > phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
    > > > is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
    > > > Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
    > > > pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
    > > >
    > > > In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
    > > > CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
    > > > complete.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Earl F. Parrish
    > >

    > > Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
    > > ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
    > > Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that
    > CNG
    > > tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
    > > Regards,
    > > Mike

    That's great! Seems like this method will do the trick when the standard
    method fails. I don't know how significant it is but here in the UK we're not
    allowed to use a phone jacked into the modem. This being the rule, there are
    no phone sockets on UK modems. I do have a phone connected to the same line
    as the modem though. They converge at a "doubler" plugged into the telephone
    line wall socket. I think there's every chance that this combination will
    serve the required purpose, so I'll try it. Thanks a lot.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP