Manual send with XP Fax?

April 26, 2005 3:26:03 PM

Hi,
I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business. While I
was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The customer's fax
number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax caused the
telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected me to press
a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I couldn't
find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was this manual
send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer? If so, Is
it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
Regards,
Mike

More about : manual send fax

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:47:17 PM

"MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
> While I
> was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
> customer's fax
> number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
> caused the
> telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
> me to press
> a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
> couldn't
> find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
> this manual
> send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
> If so, Is
> it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
> Regards,
> Mike

The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
the handshake to occur.

If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.

In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
complete.

--
Earl F. Parrish
Anonymous

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote:

> "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
> > While I
> > was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
> > customer's fax
> > number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
> > caused the
> > telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
> > me to press
> > a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
> > couldn't
> > find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
> > this manual
> > send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
> > If so, Is
> > it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
> > Regards,
> > Mike
>
> The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
> voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
> expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
> machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
> five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
> the handshake to occur.
>
> If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
> would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
> talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
> see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
> phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
> is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
> Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
> pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
>
> In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
> CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
> complete.
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that CNG
tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
Regards,
Mike
April 27, 2005 12:00:24 AM

You can do a manual send by connecting a phone to the "Phone" jack on the
modem (so you have manual voice access to the telephone line) and setting
your modem to NOT wait for a dial tone (on Windows XP, 'Control Panel|Phone
and Modem Options|Modems|Properties|Modem' uncheck the "Wait for dial tone
before dialing" checkbox). You call the manual, operator controlled fax
machine number with the telephone. You have your fax ready to send with a 1
or 2 digit FALSE phone number. You then tell the Fax Machine operator to
press his "Start" button as soon as he hears your short, false phone number
finish dialing. Your modem should "blind dial" the false number, the two
modems should begin their negotiation sequence, and finish the transmission.

This method is very similar to what you'd do with two dedicated Fax
Machines.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"MikeFromUK" <MikeFromUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:
>

> > "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I was trying various Fax programs for use with my small business.
> > > While I
> > > was trying WinFaxPro a customer asked me to fax him. The
> > > customer's fax
> > > number is shared with his telephone. Attempting to send the Fax
> > > caused the
> > > telephone to be answered, from which point the customer expected
> > > me to press
> > > a button or take a similar action to cause the fax to be sent. I
> > > couldn't
> > > find a way to do this, so the Fax failed to be transmitted. Was
> > > this manual
> > > send method a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer?
> > > If so, Is
> > > it possible to manually send in this way with XP Fax?
> > > Regards,
> > > Mike
> >
> > The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
> > voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
> > expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
> > machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
> > five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
> > the handshake to occur.
> >
> > If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
> > would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
> > talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
> > see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
> > phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
> > is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
> > Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
> > pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
> >
> > In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
> > CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
> > complete.
> >

> > --
> > Earl F. Parrish
>

> Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
> ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
> Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that
CNG
> tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
> Regards,
> Mike
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:54:03 AM

MikefromUK

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> You can do a manual send by connecting a phone to the "Phone" jack on the
> modem (so you have manual voice access to the telephone line) and setting
> your modem to NOT wait for a dial tone (on Windows XP, 'Control Panel|Phone
> and Modem Options|Modems|Properties|Modem' uncheck the "Wait for dial tone
> before dialing" checkbox). You call the manual, operator controlled fax
> machine number with the telephone. You have your fax ready to send with a 1
> or 2 digit FALSE phone number. You then tell the Fax Machine operator to
> press his "Start" button as soon as he hears your short, false phone number
> finish dialing. Your modem should "blind dial" the false number, the two
> modems should begin their negotiation sequence, and finish the transmission.
>
> This method is very similar to what you'd do with two dedicated Fax
> Machines.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "MikeFromUK" <MikeFromUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:
> >

> > > "MikeUK" <MikeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The person receiving the fax has to initiate action to change a
> > > voice call to a fax call. Your fax modem sends the CNG tone
> > > expecting an answer tone. After forty-five seconds, the sending
> > > machine stops transmitting the CNG tones. There has to be about a
> > > five to fifteen second overlap of the CNG and the answer tone for
> > > the handshake to occur.
> > >
> > > If you were using the handset of an actual fax machine, each of you
> > > would have to take action to make the fax transmission work if you
> > > talked first. Many fax machines can listen in on incoming calls to
> > > see whether the CNG tones are being sent if a call is answered by a
> > > phone connected to the phone port of a fax machine when the machine
> > > is properly configured. This usually is the Telephone Answering
> > > Device setting. Others allow you to send a touchtone code if you
> > > pick up an extension when there is an incoming fax call.
> > >
> > > In other words, if the sending fax machine or fax modem sends the
> > > CNG tones, it has done all it can do to make the transmission
> > > complete.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Earl F. Parrish
> >

> > Thanks very much for that, it was very helpful. What I need to do then is
> > ensure that my XP Fax setup is transmitting CNG tones. So, if I can send a
> > Fax to any type of Fax machine successfully, then this will verify that
> CNG
> > tones are being sent as far as I understand it.
> > Regards,
> > Mike

That's great! Seems like this method will do the trick when the standard
method fails. I don't know how significant it is but here in the UK we're not
allowed to use a phone jacked into the modem. This being the rule, there are
no phone sockets on UK modems. I do have a phone connected to the same line
as the modem though. They converge at a "doubler" plugged into the telephone
line wall socket. I think there's every chance that this combination will
serve the required purpose, so I'll try it. Thanks a lot.
!