Ebay Phone Sellers

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 1, 2005 7:38:25 PM

I'm exploring the possibility of buying a V710 on Ebay. Can someone explain
how some of these "sellers" are able to offer new phones in a Verizon box? I
would think the Verizon boxed phones would be available only from Verizon
stores and other "authorized" resellers. A new (never opened), in the
Verizon box phone for $200 seems too good to be true. Maybe I am too
trusting.

More about : ebay phone sellers

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:24:46 PM

They buy them from the manufacturer itself or right from a Verizon dealer.
At cost of course, which is less then HALF of what consumers normally pay.
The markup for cell phones is amazing, almost more then how much audio
products are marked up. Who ever sells a cell phone to a consumer is making
money no matter what.

Ebay. Watch out for some places that do this. They will advertise a phone
for a really good price. Lower then any other on Ebay. This is the price
that's shown and advertised all over...so it's very appealing. Then after
they get you interested with such a low price, notice their shipping costs.
Their shipping costs are usually DOUBLE and some times TRIPLE compared to
others. Let me tell you. To ship a cell phone in the US with three day
service is about $12 or less. I've seen some Ebay places charging over $30
to ship a small phone out. This is how the low price Ebay sellers clean up
and balance their price out. They make a profit on the phone itself, and
then they also make a huge profit on the shipping charges. I would never pay
for those highly inflated prices. It's nuts!

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I'm exploring the possibility of buying a V710 on Ebay. Can someone
> explain
> how some of these "sellers" are able to offer new phones in a Verizon box?
> would think the Verizon boxed phones would be available only from Verizon
> stores and other "authorized" resellers. A new (never opened), in the
> Verizon box phone for $200 seems too good to be true. Maybe I am too
> trusting.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:24:47 PM

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> They buy them from the manufacturer itself or right from
> a Verizon dealer. At cost of course, which is less then
> HALF of what consumers normally pay. The markup for cell
> phones is amazing, almost more then how much audio
> products are marked up. Who ever sells a cell phone to a
> consumer is making money no matter what.

At cost? Really? Wow, I wonder why everybody
doesn't do this? How come there aren't large
discounters everywhere? On the internet and
chain stores? How come only on eBay?

-Quick
April 2, 2005 1:16:40 AM

I would say that they are probably being offered by an independent
dealer that orders the phones from Verizon at their dealer cost and is
selling at a lower profit margin than if they sat on the shelf waiting
for someone to buy a plan. Normally a dealer price is half of
suggested list, so they still make a decent profit.

--
BaltTigger
April 2, 2005 2:19:32 AM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:38:25 -0500, John wrote:

> I'm exploring the possibility of buying a V710 on Ebay. Can someone explain
> how some of these "sellers" are able to offer new phones in a Verizon box? I
> would think the Verizon boxed phones would be available only from Verizon
> stores and other "authorized" resellers. A new (never opened), in the
> Verizon box phone for $200 seems too good to be true. Maybe I am too
> trusting.

I sold a new phone like this that my wife got when she renewed her contract.
She kept her old phone (which she wanted) and we sold the new one she got on
eBay.
April 2, 2005 11:39:16 AM

So... after reading numerous replies to your email, often contradictory, I
still can't tell how they can do it on ebay. Anyone?

-Frank

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I'm exploring the possibility of buying a V710 on Ebay. Can someone
> explain
> how some of these "sellers" are able to offer new phones in a Verizon box?
> would think the Verizon boxed phones would be available only from Verizon
> stores and other "authorized" resellers. A new (never opened), in the
> Verizon box phone for $200 seems too good to be true. Maybe I am too
> trusting.

April 2, 2005 6:32:04 PM

"BaltTigger" <BaltTigger.1mtw2y@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message

> I would say that they are probably being offered by an independent
> dealer that orders the phones from Verizon at their dealer cost and is
> selling at a lower profit margin than if they sat on the shelf waiting
> for someone to buy a plan. Normally a dealer price is half of
> suggested list, so they still make a decent profit.

LOL...I wished it worked like that. Dealer cost on a v710 is close to $400,
vx8000 is almost $400. Shoot, the cheap Nokia 6015 costs $100. A regular
Joe Blow customer can walk off the street into a retail Verizon store and
buy alot of the phones at non contract price and come out less that what the
"wholesale" dealer cost Verizon charges. If its not less, its usually no
more than $20-30 higher.

KC

--
Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check out my
Ebay store.

> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> They buy them from the manufacturer itself or right from
>> a Verizon dealer. At cost of course, which is less then
>> HALF of what consumers normally pay. The markup for cell
>> phones is amazing, almost more then how much audio
>> products are marked up. Who ever sells a cell phone to a
>> consumer is making money no matter what.
>
> At cost? Really? Wow, I wonder why everybody
> doesn't do this? How come there aren't large
> discounters everywhere? On the internet and
> chain stores? How come only on eBay?
>
> -Quick

There isn't because it doesn't work the way he described it. Check my other
post on this thread.

KC

--
Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check out my
Ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/totalwireless?refid=store
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 6:33:05 PM

_KC_ wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>>> They buy them from the manufacturer itself or right from
>>> a Verizon dealer. At cost of course, which is less then
>>> HALF of what consumers normally pay. The markup for cell
>>> phones is amazing, almost more then how much audio
>>> products are marked up. Who ever sells a cell phone to a
>>> consumer is making money no matter what.
>>
>> At cost? Really? Wow, I wonder why everybody
>> doesn't do this? How come there aren't large
>> discounters everywhere? On the internet and
>> chain stores? How come only on eBay?
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> There isn't because it doesn't work the way he described
> it. Check my other post on this thread.

It was tongue-in-cheek...

-Quick
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 6:35:47 PM

> At cost? Really? Wow, I wonder why everybody
> doesn't do this? How come there aren't large
> discounters everywhere? On the internet and
> chain stores? How come only on eBay?
>
> -Quick

Or they're stolen. eBay's business model seems to be offering a huge
market for stolen goods. It's not just big -- it's the biggest. It's
amazing how many promo only CDs, DVDs, new in box, etc.. stuff is on
there.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:00:32 PM

nhopper@gmail.com wrote:

> Or they're stolen. eBay's business model seems to be offering a huge
> market for stolen goods. It's not just big -- it's the biggest. It's
> amazing how many promo only CDs, DVDs, new in box, etc.. stuff is on
> there.

We buy and sell a lot of stuff on eBay - primarily, we buy baby clothes right
now (with money we get from selling our little girl's stuff that she grew out
of). You do have to be extremely careful, but there's plenty of New In Box
stuff that is sold by companies that buy in bulk, for not a ton of money. If
you're worried about being screwed by an unscrupulous seller, stick to the
sellers that have a lot of good feedback.

We bought my wife's Hitachi P300 Sprint handset on eBay, and I'm about to buy
myself a phone on eBay next week. I broke mine, I don't qualify for a discount
yet, and I want a phone with better reception than the one I broke (and making
an insurance claim gets me the same model).

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
April 2, 2005 10:39:49 PM

>> There isn't because it doesn't work the way he described
>> it. Check my other post on this thread.
>
> It was tongue-in-cheek...
>
> -Quick

Sorry, been a long day. ;p

KC

--
Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check out my
Ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/totalwireless?refid=store
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:49:47 AM

You have too much time on your hands to even respond to me. Now, go give
your wife the pickle now and spend some time with her then being here
posting ridiculous responses!

> Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
>> They buy them from the manufacturer itself or right from
>> a Verizon dealer. At cost of course, which is less then
>> HALF of what consumers normally pay. The markup for cell
>> phones is amazing, almost more then how much audio
>> products are marked up. Who ever sells a cell phone to a
>> consumer is making money no matter what.
>
> At cost? Really? Wow, I wonder why everybody
> doesn't do this? How come there aren't large
> discounters everywhere? On the internet and
> chain stores? How come only on eBay?
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:50:44 AM

Dude, they buy them cheap and then sell them cheap. Cheaper then what the
MSRP is. What's the issue here?

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> So... after reading numerous replies to your email, often contradictory, I
> still can't tell how they can do it on ebay. Anyone?
>
> -Frank
>
> "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>> I'm exploring the possibility of buying a V710 on Ebay. Can someone
>> explain
>> how some of these "sellers" are able to offer new phones in a Verizon
>> box? I
>> would think the Verizon boxed phones would be available only from
>> Verizon
>> stores and other "authorized" resellers. A new (never opened), in the
>> Verizon box phone for $200 seems too good to be true. Maybe I am too
>> trusting.

April 3, 2005 2:28:23 PM

> Dude, they buy them cheap and then sell them cheap. Cheaper then what the
> MSRP is. What's the issue here?

The "issue" is, who do "they" buy them from? Only authorized resellers can
purchase phones direct from the manufacturer.

-Frank
!