Fax Can't Send

April 26, 2005 6:16:03 PM

I am using a US Robotics 56K Fax Modem. I have it set up under Printers &
Faxes and have been trying to fax a Word document with it - naturally while
off-line, as this modem is for my pathetic internet connection as well.

The modem sounds like it is dialing, then the message appears that it is
sending. After 1 minute, it ends with a fatal error, nothing having been
sent. I get the same results trying to fax from the Start | All Programs |
Accessories | Communications | Faxes | Send a Fax.

I am at a loss as to what to do to resolve this issue. Are there any
special configuration rules depending upon the receiving machine? Where else
do I look?

More about : fax send

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:56:34 PM

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Fatal error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"roy_ware" <royware@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C7C8EEE-BD9F-4A36-A984-F72001874158@microsoft.com...
>I am using a US Robotics 56K Fax Modem. I have it set up under Printers &
> Faxes and have been trying to fax a Word document with it - naturally
> while
> off-line, as this modem is for my pathetic internet connection as well.
>
> The modem sounds like it is dialing, then the message appears that it is
> sending. After 1 minute, it ends with a fatal error, nothing having been
> sent. I get the same results trying to fax from the Start | All Programs
> |
> Accessories | Communications | Faxes | Send a Fax.
>
> I am at a loss as to what to do to resolve this issue. Are there any
> special configuration rules depending upon the receiving machine? Where
> else
> do I look?
May 1, 2005 3:54:16 PM

There can be a real problem with this. For some time (multiple windows
versions) the modem reply parser (a windows module) has had problems in
getting the modem reply strings, and correctly parsing them. The modem logs
often showed random character values immediately before the start of the
reply string. This prevented proper recognition of the reply, and may cause
the parser to fail, thus causing the pick of an inappropriate action. There
was an argument going on at one time as to the cause of the random
characters, with some blaming it on hardware, and others software. One fix
that was suggested slowed down data transfer from the modem to the PC
interface. The problem was occurring more often with modems that were
internal, perhaps due to the faster data transfer. I've found the problem
in modem logs from such things as cell phones that have a built-in modem,
and from well thought of makes and models of popular serial i/o modems.

> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
> common modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the
> manufacturers claim they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem
> incompatibility is not apparent during installation or the initial setup.
> It only becomes apparent when you first try to send or receive a fax. The
> Fax Service will dial or will answer an incoming fax but then fail with
> any of a number of unhelpful error messages such as "Line is busy," "There
> is no answer," or "Fatal error." There will be nothing in Event Viewer to
> give a clue as to where the problem might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
> drivers.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "roy_ware" <royware@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D C7C8EEE-BD9F-4A36-A984-F72001874158@microsoft.com...
>>I am using a US Robotics 56K Fax Modem. I have it set up under Printers &
>> Faxes and have been trying to fax a Word document with it - naturally
>> while
>> off-line, as this modem is for my pathetic internet connection as well.
>>
>> The modem sounds like it is dialing, then the message appears that it is
>> sending. After 1 minute, it ends with a fatal error, nothing having been
>> sent. I get the same results trying to fax from the Start | All Programs
>> |
>> Accessories | Communications | Faxes | Send a Fax.
>>
>> I am at a loss as to what to do to resolve this issue. Are there any
>> special configuration rules depending upon the receiving machine? Where
>> else
>> do I look?

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:23:33 PM

Do you know if any of these instances have occurred with modems on the
Windows XP HCL list?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]