Windows 7 SP1 Released, Available for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Would be more impressed if it wasn't 90% collection of updated into 1 install. Still I have had very little issues with 7x64 so perhaps the fact its mostly a collection is a good thing.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

You do realize that this update is required in order to use AVX instructions. That's a pretty big deal.

Already upgraded, after reboot I BSoD'ed. But hit start windows normally to give it another try and it worked. Took awhile for it to apply 80k update operations on startup though.

The other 3 workstations went off without a hitch. I do not like that you have to select SP1 manually though..

The Remote FX update is nice, I can watch 480p h.264 no lag, 720p h.264 with alot of action starts slowing down, While I dont watch through video RDP, Its a nice upgrade. I wish it applied to my W7 Clients too.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
@jprahman

Most people dont have a sandy bridge CPU yet, so its not a pretty big deal to the masses.

I personally wont bother upgrading right now...I got almost all of those updates already.

tecmo34

Administrator
Im not seeing it, nor did my father computer did either.
Go to Microsoft Downloads & search there. In my experience it takes a week or two before hitting the automatic "Windows Updates".

I've been running since the 16th without issues, so no issue on my part.

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I hope Tom's does an analysis of the update. Even if it's mostly old updates, SP1 is still a milestone. I think most enthusiasts would still appreciate a clear assessment.

On a side note, I wonder how long until we see the AVX extensions in applications, and how much an effect they will have. I can't imagine it making a huge difference.

[citation][nom]Twist86[/nom]Would be more impressed if it wasn't 90% collection of updated into 1 install. Still I have had very little issues with 7x64 so perhaps the fact its mostly a collection is a good thing.[/citation]

Every Service Pack is mostly that. In fact its normally SP2 that adds a few more new things. But still this will include some reliability upgrades and one guy at work said it cut a few seconds off of his boot time so maybe it will help a bit.

I am downloading it right now, its only 88.7MB on Windows Updates. But then again I install every update the day its out.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]You do realize that this update is required in order to use AVX instructions. That's a pretty big deal.[/citation]

Would you mind explaining why is that a big deal? Like, what does it help?

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Service Pack releases aren't as exciting as they used to be. During the XP era and before they would actually present a noticeable difference in functionality. I remember when technicians would bad mouth XP SP2 and now they look back and realize that it wasn't so bad after all ;) Hooray for progress I suppose.

G

Tried to update my 64 bit system today. Downloaded and failed. I think I'll wait a few more days.

[citation][nom]herbstoo[/nom]Tried to update my 64 bit system today. Downloaded and failed. I think I'll wait a few more days.[/citation]
Failed, tried again. tells you to restart to finish, freeze restarting. hit reset(had to look for the button. never used it on that computer) and it finished it self. so i guess its all good.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Well AVX is a new instruction set that Sandy Bridge processors support as well as the upcoming Bulldozer CPUs. Basically AVX lets you perform as many as 8 floating point mathematical operations per instruction, which can give some pretty significant speed improvements to programs that use AVX. However, programs must be specially programmed to use it and even then only certain types of problems like audio, video and photo processing, CAD, 3D games, and other math intensive programs can.

Currently few programs support AVX, but part of that is because before this service pack came out AVX couldn't be used because the Windows 7 didn't correctly save the CPU state when switching between threads.

G

[citation][nom]tecmo34[/nom]Go to Microsoft Downloads & search there. In my experience it takes a week or two before hitting the automatic "Windows Updates".I've been running since the 16th without issues, so no issue on my part.[/citation]

When it's released it's available straight away on Windows Update (not ticked by default), 64bit is about 850mb via windows update or 927mb via download from Microsoft Download Centre.

roflmaonow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
So that was pretty quick. I'm assuming when you update through windows update in win 7, it customizes it and only downloads what you need. The total file size for my install was around 88MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.