very strange printing issue

April 28, 2005 12:53:56 PM

I have a new computer that was cloned from another in the office, that
worked without a problem, I went into the printers on the new (cloned)
computer, deleted the printers that were there & installed the printers that
were needed for that user (all network shared printers). When I logged off
the computer & logged back on the old printers were back & the ones that I
had put on were gone.

This user has Admin rights the computer, does anybody have any idea what
would cause this?

Thanks in Advance,
Alan

More about : strange printing issue

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:34:17 PM

If the old printers are still on the network and still available to print
to, then XP will find and install them automatically by design.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Alan Harris" <aharrisATburkavagedesignDOTcom> wrote in message
news:o 9V9XF$SFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> I have a new computer that was cloned from another in the office, that
> worked without a problem, I went into the printers on the new (cloned)
> computer, deleted the printers that were there & installed the printers
> that were needed for that user (all network shared printers). When I
> logged off the computer & logged back on the old printers were back & the
> ones that I had put on were gone.
>
> This user has Admin rights the computer, does anybody have any idea what
> would cause this?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Alan

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:57:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't make sense, I delete printers &
install new ones from the network all the time, the deleted printers don't
come back if I log off, they only come back if I go and get them back.

> If the old printers are still on the network and still available to print
> to, then XP will find and install them automatically by design.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Alan Harris" <aharrisATburkavagedesignDOTcom> wrote in message
> news:o 9V9XF$SFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>> I have a new computer that was cloned from another in the office, that
>> worked without a problem, I went into the printers on the new (cloned)
>> computer, deleted the printers that were there & installed the printers
>> that were needed for that user (all network shared printers). When I
>> logged off the computer & logged back on the old printers were back & the
>> ones that I had put on were gone.
>>
>> This user has Admin rights the computer, does anybody have any idea what
>> would cause this?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>> Alan

April 29, 2005 2:08:05 PM

If the printers are shared, and WinXP is using UPnP, it will automatically
look for all available printers and install them. You shouldn't lose the new
printers, though. That doesn't make sense.

--
Computers are not intelligent. They just think they are.

"Alan Harris" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't make sense, I delete printers &
> install new ones from the network all the time, the deleted printers don't
> come back if I log off, they only come back if I go and get them back.
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If the old printers are still on the network and still available to print
> > to, then XP will find and install them automatically by design.
> > --
> > Cari
> > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> >
> > "Alan Harris" <aharrisATburkavagedesignDOTcom> wrote in message
> > news:o 9V9XF$SFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> I have a new computer that was cloned from another in the office, that
> >> worked without a problem, I went into the printers on the new (cloned)
> >> computer, deleted the printers that were there & installed the printers
> >> that were needed for that user (all network shared printers). When I
> >> logged off the computer & logged back on the old printers were back & the
> >> ones that I had put on were gone.
> >>
> >> This user has Admin rights the computer, does anybody have any idea what
> >> would cause this?
> >>
> >> Thanks in Advance,
> >> Alan

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:31:06 PM

"Alan Harris" <aharrisATburkavagedesignDOTcom> wrote in message news:<O9V9XF$SFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> I have a new computer that was cloned from another in the office, that
> worked without a problem, I went into the printers on the new (cloned)
> computer, deleted the printers that were there & installed the printers that
> were needed for that user (all network shared printers). When I logged off
> the computer & logged back on the old printers were back & the ones that I
> had put on were gone.
>
> This user has Admin rights the computer, does anybody have any idea what
> would cause this?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Alan

Hi Alan,
Connections to network printers for the current user are stored in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections

Perhaps the deleted connections are still available and you can delete them here.
(don't forget to restart the spooler)

Dieter
April 29, 2005 8:53:11 PM

When you cloned the machine, did you then create a unique SID? If not,
especially is this is on a workgroup rather than a domain, it can cause some
peculiar problems. I don't know that it would cause the oddity, but I have
seen cloned XP installations without unique SID's have some unusual issues.

See http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml for more
information.

--

!