B-1 BOMBER IN MY CASE!!!

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
Hi! I just recently built this new machine. (see specs below) When I start it up, it sounds like a bi-plane. No joke! It's a dual-athlon w/ 2 Delta AX-7's (from thermallright)+ two CPU fans. I don't know what kind they are - but they are freaking loud!! I know it's not the case fans or the power. Please recommend some good (cool) fans that are quiet!?! I've heard good things about Volcano 9(?). Thanks in advance!

Asus A7M266-D (2-Athlon 1800 MP)
1 Gig DDR
Promise SuperTrak SX6000
ATI AIW Radeon DV
GTXP

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Dual 1800s! I'm drooling. I couldn't utilize the power of dual rig myself but it sounds sweet.

I can't remember the source but I remember reading that the AX7s do well with fans as low as 50 CFM. (40 CFM is no good). Someone mentioned that Panaflo fans are good. Much quieter than the Deltas (the ones on the AX-7s are either the 68 CFM or 80 CFM ones, something like 58 dBA. Ouch!)

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You might also be interested in lowering fan speeds for lower noise. The <A HREF="http://www.pcmods.com/details.asp?ProdID=4" target="_new">RheoBus</A> is an interesting product and can control 4 fans.

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
Thanks for the advice! I checked into the Panaflo (altho I couldn't read much of the website - it's in french) and they look pretty good. The Rhoebus looks pretty impressive but I think I'll just stick with some quiet variable-speed fans. Can you recommend any other low-noise fans!?!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I really don't have any personal experience with 80mm CPU fans. Average case fans are quiet but they are typically only 30 or 40 CFM, not good enough for your needs. I hear Pabst and Sanyo Denki fans mentioned quite often but don't recall the various noise levels.

You could wire in your own rheostats to lower fan speed and noise.

You can also cross a couple of wires on the molex connector of your present fans to run off 7 volts instead of 12. I heard some motherboards have trouble detecting RPMs using this configuration, though.

I've never done any of these but when the weather gets cooler I will try the 7 volt trick. Right now my room temperature is too high (about 27 degrees) to do this and still overclock.

gunjin1

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Ok since I am basically researched the hell out of fans and db levels.Depending if u overclock,39CFM will be just fine as are most 60mm delta fans.In my case currently I have a 60mm heatsink from Vantec and a high speed Panaflo 80mm fan with an adapter.Basically my delta fan before was at 46db and now I am at 32db vast noise reduction and still maintained same CFM. I am actually building a watercooling system myself and this is just temporary till I have all my components for that. But like I said if u want to overclock with a fan on your CPU then u need a bigger fan to reduce noise and increase airflow. Ideally if u want over 50CFM u need a 80mm heatsink with a 92mm fan. However be wary of db level over 35db thats when u cant sleep with your comp on :) Top fans if u dont know are Panaflo's even though other brands are good Panaflo's CFM and db are at the top of the list.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Yea tell me about it, I just got a volcano 7 and it sounds like an actual volcano erupting... this sucker IS LOUD! My XP is finally cool, but holy [-peep-] this freaking noise!

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"