Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Deleting a document from a print queue

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 30, 2005 8:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have seen this on multiple printers...Canon S450, HP etc when you go to
delete what appears to be a currently printing document out of the printers
queue. You can see that it says deleting but it just sits there and never
goes away. Then you can't print anything else.

You try shutting off the printer, rebooting the machine and it doesn't work.

How the heck can you force this document to really be deleted and free up
the printer?

Thanks.

STom
May 1, 2005 10:53:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I just deleted a print job but it stays on the queue. It was reported
deleting and it did not disappear after a long time. What shall I do?
This is a software problem with Microsoft printing system. The job has been
deleted. Though it still appear on the print queue, it will not be printed.
other jobs in the queue will take over and will not be affected. The job will
disappear when the system times out.
Therefore, you can ignore this shortcoming.

--
I'm no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn Express last night.


"STom" wrote:

> I have seen this on multiple printers...Canon S450, HP etc when you go to
> delete what appears to be a currently printing document out of the printers
> queue. You can see that it says deleting but it just sits there and never
> goes away. Then you can't print anything else.
>
> You try shutting off the printer, rebooting the machine and it doesn't work.
>
> How the heck can you force this document to really be deleted and free up
> the printer?
>
> Thanks.
>
> STom
>
>
>
May 1, 2005 11:32:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Actually, no, no other documents will print, that is what my problem is.

I know what you mean by it timing out, but this darn thing is keeping
anything else from getting through to the printer. Or maybe I didn't wait
long enough for the second job to start. I'm not sure.

STom
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6D0E4782-8D0C-4778-93B1-FBE4CED22BCC@microsoft.com...
>I just deleted a print job but it stays on the queue. It was reported
> deleting and it did not disappear after a long time. What shall I do?
> This is a software problem with Microsoft printing system. The job has
> been
> deleted. Though it still appear on the print queue, it will not be
> printed.
> other jobs in the queue will take over and will not be affected. The job
> will
> disappear when the system times out.
> Therefore, you can ignore this shortcoming.
>
> --
> I'm no expert, but I did stay at
> the Holiday Inn Express last night.
>
>
> "STom" wrote:
>
>> I have seen this on multiple printers...Canon S450, HP etc when you go to
>> delete what appears to be a currently printing document out of the
>> printers
>> queue. You can see that it says deleting but it just sits there and never
>> goes away. Then you can't print anything else.
>>
>> You try shutting off the printer, rebooting the machine and it doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> How the heck can you force this document to really be deleted and free up
>> the printer?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> STom
>>
>>
>>
Related resources
May 2, 2005 2:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

My printer does that occasionally and the only solution I found was to
uninstall and then reinstall the printer using the CD that came with it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
"STom" <stombiztalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ziOabrTFHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Actually, no, no other documents will print, that is what my problem is.
>
> I know what you mean by it timing out, but this darn thing is keeping
> anything else from getting through to the printer. Or maybe I didn't wait
> long enough for the second job to start. I'm not sure.
>
> STom
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6D0E4782-8D0C-4778-93B1-FBE4CED22BCC@microsoft.com...
>>I just deleted a print job but it stays on the queue. It was reported
>> deleting and it did not disappear after a long time. What shall I do?
>> This is a software problem with Microsoft printing system. The job has
>> been
>> deleted. Though it still appear on the print queue, it will not be
>> printed.
>> other jobs in the queue will take over and will not be affected. The job
>> will
>> disappear when the system times out.
>> Therefore, you can ignore this shortcoming.
>>
>> --
>> I'm no expert, but I did stay at
>> the Holiday Inn Express last night.
>>
>>
>> "STom" wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen this on multiple printers...Canon S450, HP etc when you go
>>> to
>>> delete what appears to be a currently printing document out of the
>>> printers
>>> queue. You can see that it says deleting but it just sits there and
>>> never
>>> goes away. Then you can't print anything else.
>>>
>>> You try shutting off the printer, rebooting the machine and it doesn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> How the heck can you force this document to really be deleted and free
>>> up
>>> the printer?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> STom
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:39:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I've tried reinstalling my HP printer and I still have the same problem. If
there is a document in #1 position that won't delete, I can't print anything
else. I have a new HP7210 printer and they blame it on XP. I'm ready to go
back to Windows 98

"Peter" wrote:

> My printer does that occasionally and the only solution I found was to
> uninstall and then reinstall the printer using the CD that came with it.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "STom" <stombiztalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o ziOabrTFHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Actually, no, no other documents will print, that is what my problem is.
> >
> > I know what you mean by it timing out, but this darn thing is keeping
> > anything else from getting through to the printer. Or maybe I didn't wait
> > long enough for the second job to start. I'm not sure.
> >
> > STom
> > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:6D0E4782-8D0C-4778-93B1-FBE4CED22BCC@microsoft.com...
> >>I just deleted a print job but it stays on the queue. It was reported
> >> deleting and it did not disappear after a long time. What shall I do?
> >> This is a software problem with Microsoft printing system. The job has
> >> been
> >> deleted. Though it still appear on the print queue, it will not be
> >> printed.
> >> other jobs in the queue will take over and will not be affected. The job
> >> will
> >> disappear when the system times out.
> >> Therefore, you can ignore this shortcoming.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I'm no expert, but I did stay at
> >> the Holiday Inn Express last night.
> >>
> >>
> >> "STom" wrote:
> >>
> >>> I have seen this on multiple printers...Canon S450, HP etc when you go
> >>> to
> >>> delete what appears to be a currently printing document out of the
> >>> printers
> >>> queue. You can see that it says deleting but it just sits there and
> >>> never
> >>> goes away. Then you can't print anything else.
> >>>
> >>> You try shutting off the printer, rebooting the machine and it doesn't
> >>> work.
> >>>
> >>> How the heck can you force this document to really be deleted and free
> >>> up
> >>> the printer?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks.
> >>>
> >>> STom
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >
>
>
>
June 13, 2009 9:12:36 PM

I have this happen frequently to me as well. After I delete a job from the print spool and the printer times out, I stop and restart the Printer Spool Service. If you open the control panel, then choose Administrative Tools, then choose Services, then right click on the Print Spool Service, choose stop service, then i go back to the printer job list and delete the document again, and then go back to the Print Spool Service and click restart.
October 4, 2010 12:18:29 PM

This problem has bothered me for many years. However, I just found a possible solution. Get Properties on your printer, click the Ports Tab, then Configure Port. A window opens that allows you to change the Transmission Retry Timeout (in seconds). Mine was set at 90 seconds. Changing that to 10 makes cancelled/deleted print jobs go away much faster!
October 4, 2010 9:51:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!