Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use the
Fax Service.

Provide more detail.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
> install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use the
> Fax Service.

"Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer
>didn't
> install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can
> use the
> Fax Service.

Do you have an analog modem in your computer? If there is no analog
modem, you cannot complete the setup through the Fax Console when
you start the fax program.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I used the windows add/remove components and added the Fax services it was
rather difficult but I found all the files necessary on my XP disk in the
i386 folder to complete the install. I then started the Fax console went to
tools and was going to configure the Fax and when I launch the utility it
tells me that (A connection to the fax server cannot be made) and I started
to investigate on the Microsoft’s Tech Site, and it appears the a Fax Printer
should have been installed when the Add Fax Services were installed and I
can't find a way to install the Fax Printer or repair the problem I have also
tried to remove the Fax Services and re install and that still does not fix
the problem.

"Jared" wrote:

> I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
> install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use the
> Fax Service.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Yes their is a IBM Integrated 56K Modem installed and I us it to dial out all
the time.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Provide more detail.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
> > install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use the
> > Fax Service.

This usually means you have antivirus or firewall utilities installed that
prevents connection to the fax service. Did you disable all such services
before you did the installation?
--
>I used the windows add/remove components and added the Fax services it was
> rather difficult but I found all the files necessary on my XP disk in the
> i386 folder to complete the install. I then started the Fax console went
> tools and was going to configure the Fax and when I launch the utility it
> tells me that (A connection to the fax server cannot be made) and I
> started
> to investigate on the Microsoft's Tech Site, and it appears the a Fax
> Printer
> should have been installed when the Add Fax Services were installed and I
> can't find a way to install the Fax Printer or repair the problem I have
> also
> tried to remove the Fax Services and re install and that still does not
> fix
> the problem.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Provide more detail.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
>> > install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use
>> > the
>> > Fax Service.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

NO I didn't on the inital install.
OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled and
reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed Fax
Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I launch
the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the Fax,
then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax server
cannot be made).

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> This usually means you have antivirus or firewall utilities installed that
> prevents connection to the fax service. Did you disable all such services
> before you did the installation?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used the windows add/remove components and added the Fax services it was
> > rather difficult but I found all the files necessary on my XP disk in the
> > i386 folder to complete the install. I then started the Fax console went
> > tools and was going to configure the Fax and when I launch the utility it
> > tells me that (A connection to the fax server cannot be made) and I
> > started
> > to investigate on the Microsoft's Tech Site, and it appears the a Fax
> > Printer
> > should have been installed when the Add Fax Services were installed and I
> > can't find a way to install the Fax Printer or repair the problem I have
> > also
> > tried to remove the Fax Services and re install and that still does not
> > fix
> > the problem.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Provide more detail.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

>Do you have an analog modem in your computer? If there is no analog modem,
>you cannot complete the setup through the Fax Console when you start the
>fax program

If this is the case, how can the multifunction printer/fax/copier/scanners
work?
Obviously, the install process for an MFP must have a way. (How reliable is
another story)

"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message

> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
>> install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use
>> the
>> Fax Service.
>
> Do you have an analog modem in your computer? If there is no analog modem,
> you cannot complete the setup through the Fax Console when you start the
> fax program.
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

From what I have read the Fax Printer is installed when you install the Fax
service components in windows and I can't find a way to install it manually
to help fix the problems I am experiencing.

"Chuck" wrote:

> >Do you have an analog modem in your computer? If there is no analog modem,
> >you cannot complete the setup through the Fax Console when you start the
> >fax program
>
> If this is the case, how can the multifunction printer/fax/copier/scanners
> work?
> Obviously, the install process for an MFP must have a way. (How reliable is
> another story)
>

> "Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I installed the XP Windows Fax Service but the local Fax printer didn't
> >> install and I can't find a way to install the Fax printer so I can use
> >> the
> >> Fax Service.
> >
> > Do you have an analog modem in your computer? If there is no analog modem,
> > you cannot complete the setup through the Fax Console when you start the
> > fax program.
> >

> > --
> > Earl F. Parrish

Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after installations
of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only solution
they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages? Were
you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your analog
fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
--
> NO I didn't on the inital install.
> OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled and
> reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed Fax
> Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I
> launch
> the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the Fax,
> then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax server
> cannot be made).
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> This usually means you have antivirus or firewall utilities installed
>> that
>> prevents connection to the fax service. Did you disable all such services
>> before you did the installation?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I used the windows add/remove components and added the Fax services it
>> >was
>> > rather difficult but I found all the files necessary on my XP disk in
>> > the
>> > i386 folder to complete the install. I then started the Fax console
>> > went
>> > tools and was going to configure the Fax and when I launch the utility
>> > it
>> > tells me that (A connection to the fax server cannot be made) and I
>> > started
>> > to investigate on the Microsoft's Tech Site, and it appears the a Fax
>> > Printer
>> > should have been installed when the Add Fax Services were installed and
>> > can't find a way to install the Fax Printer or repair the problem I
>> > have
>> > also
>> > tried to remove the Fax Services and re install and that still does not
>> > fix
>> > the problem.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

No the Installation didn't go smooth but I'm use to that as I am a Support
Tech for a 3rd party company that installs windows on most of our systems. I
had to search and find all the .exe's, dll and system files manually and then
the install appeared to go smoothly after that and after the install it
appears to not even show up in the installed group in the windows add/remove
components but if you re-install the Fax in the windows add/remove components
it goes smoothly and I don't even have to search and find the .exe's, dll and
system files but it still doesn’t work I just went to the System32 folder and
found the fxsclnt.exe and run the program manually and then I got the errors.
I assume it doesn’t work because of the lack of the Fax printer being
installed and yes during the installation I made sure to find all the .exe's,
dll and system files and make sure they were in the correct location. Not
sure if their was some registry settings missed or just the Fax Printer not
being installed is the issue because the only error I receive is (A
connection to the fax server cannot be made) and the Fax component doesn’t
show up in the windows add/remove components.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after installations
> of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only solution
> they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
> Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages? Were
> you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your analog
> fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > NO I didn't on the inital install.
> > OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled and
> > reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed Fax
> > Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I
> > launch
> > the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the Fax,
> > then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax server
> > cannot be made).
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> This usually means you have antivirus or firewall utilities installed
> >> that
> >> prevents connection to the fax service. Did you disable all such services
> >> before you did the installation?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Sorry I missed the other questions.
Windows XP HCL list? Explain not sure of the terminology. But yes it is
installed and functioning correctly.
Were you ever able to install the fax component on this system? NO But on
many others and I love the functionality it offers.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after installations
> of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only solution
> they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
> Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages? Were
> you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your analog
> fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > NO I didn't on the inital install.
> > OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled and
> > reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed Fax
> > Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I
> > launch
> > the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the Fax,
> > then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax server
> > cannot be made).
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> This usually means you have antivirus or firewall utilities installed
> >> that
> >> prevents connection to the fax service. Did you disable all such services
> >> before you did the installation?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Start by looking over the Windows XP HCL list:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206

------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Jared wrote:
> Sorry I missed the other questions.
> Windows XP HCL list? Explain not sure of the terminology. But yes it is
> installed and functioning correctly.
> Were you ever able to install the fax component on this system? NO But on
> many others and I love the functionality it offers.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after installations
>>of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only solution
>>they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
>>Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages? Were
>>you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your analog
>>fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>"Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>NO I didn't on the inital install.
>>>OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled and
>>>reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed Fax
>>>Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I
>>>launch
>>>the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the Fax,
>>>then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax server
>>>cannot be made).

Several people have successfully fixed similar problems with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=891986&ref=AI&ct=SB&IL=EN&QS=can't+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

Credit for the fix and the article references go to David Murphy who
originally posted them here as a possible solution. The hotfix listed in
the first article may resolve the issue also, however, I've not yet seen
any posts that say it does. If this helps, please post back.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> No the Installation didn't go smooth but I'm use to that as I am a Support
> Tech for a 3rd party company that installs windows on most of our systems.
> had to search and find all the .exe's, dll and system files manually and
then
> the install appeared to go smoothly after that and after the install it
> appears to not even show up in the installed group in the windows
add/remove
> components but if you re-install the Fax in the windows add/remove
components
> it goes smoothly and I don't even have to search and find the .exe's, dll
and
> system files but it still doesn't work I just went to the System32 folder
and
> found the fxsclnt.exe and run the program manually and then I got the
errors.
> I assume it doesn't work because of the lack of the Fax printer being
> installed and yes during the installation I made sure to find all the
..exe's,
> dll and system files and make sure they were in the correct location. Not
> sure if their was some registry settings missed or just the Fax Printer
not
> being installed is the issue because the only error I receive is (A
> connection to the fax server cannot be made) and the Fax component doesn't
> show up in the windows add/remove components.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after
installations
> > of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only
solution
> > they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
> > Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages?
Were
> > you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your
analog
> > fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > NO I didn't on the inital install.
> > > OK so I just disabled the Firewall and The Anti Virus and uninstalled
and
> > > reinstalled the Fax compoinent and still the same issue no installed
Fax
> > > Printer and I am not able to get a connection to the fax server when I
> > > launch
> > > the Fax console and go to tools and take the option to configure the
Fax,
> > > then I launch the utility it tells me that (A connection to the fax
server
> > > cannot be made).

Fax

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Well I did the security DB update and now I have the Fax printer installed
but I when I launch the Fax Console and I use the configure Fax option I
still receve
the error (a connection to the Fax server cannot be made) and at the bottom
of the
console it says (no fax printer installed).

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> [...]
> > dll and system files and make sure they were in the correct location. Not
> > sure if their was some registry settings missed or just the Fax Printer
> not
> > being installed is the issue because the only error I receive is (A
> > connection to the fax server cannot be made) and the Fax component doesn't
> > show up in the windows add/remove components.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after
> installations
> > > of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only
> solution
> > > they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
> > > Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages?
> Were
> > > you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Worked like a charm for me! Thanks

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> [...]
> > dll and system files and make sure they were in the correct location. Not
> > sure if their was some registry settings missed or just the Fax Printer
> not
> > being installed is the issue because the only error I receive is (A
> > connection to the fax server cannot be made) and the Fax component doesn't
> > show up in the windows add/remove components.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > Many people are reporting similar problems, especially after
> installations
> > > of SP2. Microsoft has not been able to reproduce them and the only
> solution
> > > they have offered is the disabling of firewall/antivirus programs.
> > > Did the installation appear to go smoothly and with no error messages?
> Were
> > > you ever able to install the fax component on this system? Is your

TRENDING THREADS