Fax modem dissappears if switched off

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003

Having run out of power points I would rather not leave the modem plugged in
as the only time it is ever used is when we send a fax, which is not that
often. It is external and an old Hays accura.

Problem is when we power up the modem and go to send a fax windows has
removed the device and so there is no modem associated with the Fax facility.
I then need to get into device manager and do a scan for hardware changes.
It's fine for me to do this but talking the wife through this procedure gets
me into hot water and so my marriage suffers (I tell her to reboot instead).

Is there a way of making this device persistent so that it it remains part
of the hardware list even when it is switched off.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The simplest thing to do in the US (and the least cost/effort) is to use a
"Plug strip". Fax programs are generally a bit strange, and have enough
trouble working properly to begin with.

Svend wrote:
> Having run out of power points I would rather not leave the modem plugged in
> as the only time it is ever used is when we send a fax, which is not that
> often. It is external and an old Hays accura.
>
> Problem is when we power up the modem and go to send a fax windows has
> removed the device and so there is no modem associated with the Fax facility.
> I then need to get into device manager and do a scan for hardware changes.
> It's fine for me to do this but talking the wife through this procedure gets
> me into hot water and so my marriage suffers (I tell her to reboot instead).
>
> Is there a way of making this device persistent so that it it remains part
> of the hardware list even when it is switched off.

There's nothing you can do about it with the present modem. The
alternatives are an internal modem (cheap) if you have an open slot, or
an external USB modem that's powered from the USB port.