Can you connect a hard drive on to the same bus connetor for cd player

G

My Xp desk top computer failed, I have repaced it with a new one which came with windows 7 pre-installed. I have connected up the old harddrive via a USB adapter to the new one to copy over doucuments and photos. The new computer sees the harddrive as drive"I" drive and I can copy other some files belonging to the other account uses of the old Xp computer. However the windows 7 computer does not show any of my documents (Administrator) in the drive, can someone please explain how to overcome this problem?

However the windows 7 computer does not show any of my documents (Administrator) in the drive, can someone please explain how to overcome this problem?

Was the Administrator account used by a "normal" user? If so, the system was at risk. W7 will probably assume the Administrator account was only used by the system and is protecting the files. You could either borrow access to an XP machine and copy the files out of the Administrator account into a plain folder, then transfer them to the W7 system. Alternatively, run a Linux LiveCD in the W7 box - Linux is far less precious about Windows file protection than M$ systems.

G

Hi Sage Lout, thanks for the reply.
I have connected it to a working Xp machine and got the same results .Not sure what you mean by "normal" user, I have set my wife's account to administrator at times to resolve some problems, but I can not remember if I had switched it back to "Limited". All the users names appear, except my name. I know less about Linux than I do about MS and I don't know a lot about MS, so I'm not sure how to carry out your suggestion. Am I better off trying to overcome the problem on the Xp machine and somehow get to see all the files on this machine?

Hi Sage Lout, thanks for the reply.
I have connected it to a working Xp machine and got the same results .Not sure what you mean by "normal" user, I have set my wife's account to administrator at times to resolve some problems, but I can not remember if I had switched it back to "Limited". All the users names appear, except my name. I know less about Linux than I do about MS and I don't know a lot about MS, so I'm not sure how to carry out your suggestion. Am I better off trying to overcome the problem on the Xp machine and somehow get to see all the files on this machine?

The Administrator account isn't the same as a User Account at Computer Administrator level. If you can't see your own account's section in c:\documents and settings - even with hidden files showing as recommended by snowbum - something has gone wrong. You shouldn't need Linux if you have access to another XP box.[/#000ff]

G

Hi, Thanks for the help, I'll give it another go. The computer did fail while it was running, if there has been a corruption of the file system is there a program I can use to recover the files?

Hi, Thanks for the help, I'll give it another go. The computer did fail while it was running, if there has been a corruption of the file system is there a program I can use to recover the files?

Recuva does a reasonable job and comes from the CCleaner people - http://www.piriform.com.
[/#000ff]

TRENDING THREADS