Capture network printer

In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.
5 answers Last reply
More about capture network printer

    Dear Mr. Graham,

    > In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
    > printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.

    You have to open a Command Prompt and type:

    NET USE LPT1: \\server\printer

    adding /p at the end, the redirection will be permanent.

    NET USE LPT1: /d
    will disable the redirection.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Thanks, Davide. I'll give that a go.

    Cheers
    Graham

    Davide Guolo wrote:
    > Dear Mr. Graham,
    >

    >>In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
    >>printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.
    >

    > You have to open a Command Prompt and type:
    >
    > NET USE LPT1: \\server\printer
    >
    > adding /p at the end, the redirection will be permanent.
    >
    > NET USE LPT1: /d
    > will disable the redirection.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Davide Guolo
    > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Davide

    How do I determine the name of my server and printer? The computer name
    is irwin within workgroup mshome. In printer properties the printer is
    "attached" to port HPLaserJet1022n (HP Standard TCP/IP Port).

    net use lpt2: \\mshome\hplaserjet1022n
    and
    net use lpt2: \\mshome\irwin\hplaserjet1022n

    both give:

    System error 66 has occurred.

    The network resource type is not correct.

    Thanks
    Graham

    Graham,

    > How do I determine the name of my server and printer?

    NET VIEW %USERDOMAIN%
    will show you both of them

    Regards,
    Davide
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Many thanks

    Graham

Microsoft Fax Network Printer Windows XP