graham

In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.

Dear Mr. Graham,

> In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
> printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.

You have to open a Command Prompt and type:

NET USE LPT1: \\server\printer

adding /p at the end, the redirection will be permanent.

NET USE LPT1: /d
will disable the redirection.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

graham

Thanks, Davide. I'll give that a go.

Cheers
Graham

Davide Guolo wrote:
> Dear Mr. Graham,
>

>>In 98 you could "capture" a local LPT port and map it to a network
>>printer. Can this be done in XP? I can't figure it out.
>

> You have to open a Command Prompt and type:
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\server\printer
>
> adding /p at the end, the redirection will be permanent.
>
> NET USE LPT1: /d
> will disable the redirection.
>
> Kind regards,
> Davide Guolo
> Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
> http://www.guolo.com/printfil
> Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
> http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

graham

Davide

How do I determine the name of my server and printer? The computer name
is irwin within workgroup mshome. In printer properties the printer is
"attached" to port HPLaserJet1022n (HP Standard TCP/IP Port).

net use lpt2: \\mshome\hplaserjet1022n
and
net use lpt2: \\mshome\irwin\hplaserjet1022n

both give:

System error 66 has occurred.

The network resource type is not correct.

Thanks
Graham

Graham,

> How do I determine the name of my server and printer?

NET VIEW %USERDOMAIN%
will show you both of them

Regards,
Davide