print engine not responding

Hi,
We have this Dell Latitude 505, PM 1.5, 512MB, 40G. Sometime, now it is even
more often, the print engine stops responding and does not print, also when
you look at the printer folder there is nothing in there. This is not a
program specific thing, it does it from Word, internet, adobe. after
restarting it works fine for a little while, since this morning user had to
restart 4 times, in about 4 hours. I have tried to find the fix in Microsoft
website but seems to be this is not something common. Does anybody have any
idea how to fix this?
any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Regards
K.C.

Did you uninstall and reinstall the printer?

Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"K.C." <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have this Dell Latitude 505, PM 1.5, 512MB, 40G. Sometime, now it is
> even
> more often, the print engine stops responding and does not print, also
> when
> you look at the printer folder there is nothing in there. This is not a
> program specific thing, it does it from Word, internet, adobe. after
> restarting it works fine for a little while, since this morning user had
> restart 4 times, in about 4 hours. I have tried to find the fix in
> Microsoft
> website but seems to be this is not something common. Does anybody have
> any
> idea how to fix this?
> any help is appreciated
> Thanks in advance
> Regards
> K.C.

natasha

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003

It sounds like the same problem I am having. I can get a couple of pages to
print then "Document failed to print" is displayed and the computer must be
restarted in order to print again. I have been unable to find a solution so
far. Did this begin after you updated to service pack 2?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you uninstall and reinstall the printer?
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "K.C." <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > We have this Dell Latitude 505, PM 1.5, 512MB, 40G. Sometime, now it is
> > even
> > more often, the print engine stops responding and does not print, also
> > when
> > you look at the printer folder there is nothing in there. This is not a
> > program specific thing, it does it from Word, internet, adobe. after
> > restarting it works fine for a little while, since this morning user had
> > restart 4 times, in about 4 hours. I have tried to find the fix in
> > Microsoft
> > website but seems to be this is not something common. Does anybody have
> > any
> > idea how to fix this?
> > any help is appreciated
> > Thanks in advance
> > Regards
> > K.C.

Natasha, are you using a USB printer? It sounds as if you either have an
insufficient PSU or that your USB ports are set to hibernate when not being
used.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Natasha" <Natasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like the same problem I am having. I can get a couple of pages
> print then "Document failed to print" is displayed and the computer must
> be
> restarted in order to print again. I have been unable to find a solution
> so
> far. Did this begin after you updated to service pack 2?

Thank you for your response
I did uninstall and reinstall printers all the network printers many times,
and the same thing is still happening. User does not have any attached
printers they are all network, one is color laser printer that is on XP Pro,
the other is laserjet that is also on XP Pro.
However, this user has adobe pdf writer and also one of the programs she has
comes with an internal writer. I also upgraded her adobe reader from 6 to 7
that helped in the beginning. I am clueless on what to do.
Thanks in advance
K.C.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Natasha, are you using a USB printer? It sounds as if you either have an
> insufficient PSU or that your USB ports are set to hibernate when not being
> used.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Natasha" <Natasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It sounds like the same problem I am having. I can get a couple of pages
> > print then "Document failed to print" is displayed and the computer must
> > be
> > restarted in order to print again. I have been unable to find a solution
> > so
> > far. Did this begin after you updated to service pack 2?

1) Ensure the network printers are installed correctly

2) If they are installed on an XP Home PC, remember that Home would limit to
5 connections to the PC. If they are installed on an XP Pro PC, remember
that would be limited to 10 connections.

3) If they are on a print server, see:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm