• I'm sticking with XP
  • 9 %
  • I'll wait awhile and see how it works out
  • 7 %
  • If it happens to come with a new PC, I'll take it
  • 3 %
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2009 10:51:23 AM

I figure with the "official release" of W7 being just a few days off, it would be interesting to see if members will be making the official switch to the new OS, even if you have tested the Beta or RC. I'm also curious to see if there is anyone out there who hasn't enjoyed it or has heard "bad" things about it if they haven't been testing it.

If you don't plan to, why? If you do, why?

Personally, I have enjoyed testing W7 and have pre-ordered it (pro version, 64-bit). I remember testing Vista ("Longhorn") a few years back and in comparison to W7, it just didn't have the flare or stability, even in beta versions. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly in a hurry to go out and buy it when it hit shelves. Of course, with a few service packs and various tweaks, Vista hasn't turned out to be all that bad. Just from my perception, W7 feels "snappier" and I like a lot of the minor features they have added, i.e. the new taskbar, opening two windows to share a screen equally, and the little previews you get when you have a program open (or two or more windows in one program).

Long story short, I concur with many by saying that this is potentially MS's best OS to date and you know for many it takes a lot to say that while it is (was) in beta. For once, I'm actually a bit excited about new software. I'm hoping MS does some things to make the Office 2010 a bit better as well as time goes along (using the technical preview right now).

More about : switching

October 20, 2009 11:03:36 AM

Yes, in a little bit. I chose yes though because right now I have Windows 7 Enterprise (aka Ultimate) 64 bit installed now along side my XP install. I would switch over completely, however I have a lot of CAD/Math programs for which I only get one license a year and are a real pain to install (and could have Win7 issues, who knows) so I won't go to Win7 only until the summer at the earliest. Though for me, I can get Win7 free (legally) so it as a no brainer.
October 20, 2009 3:33:29 PM

Already have, and not looking back. :) 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2009 7:34:38 PM

I have been using W7 since the public release of the beta and then the RC. When I first got Vista I kept XP for dual boot but hardly used it, removed it when W7 came along, same story I rarely use Vista other then to get updates once a week or two.
I'm not looking to go back, but will retain Vista for the odd time I need an older program that I use rarely and can't justify the cost of replacement.
October 20, 2009 7:45:14 PM

Already have. I like the new OS.
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2009 10:13:07 PM

Is good, and maybe built a dual boot vista-7...but also I waiting the google OS.
October 21, 2009 2:07:42 AM

I ran the release candidate in 32bit and 64bit, however I have no intentions of spending unnecessary money for a new operating system when what I have is doing everything I need done, and I guarantee you I am not alone.
October 21, 2009 3:03:09 AM

im running the rtm version, and im very happy with it.
the performance is better,stability,but it didnt help so much on games,check out my discussion and u will see the differences.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 3:15:23 AM

^+1 is good for testing, but not very stable with some games....
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 5:45:51 AM

4Ryan6 said:
I ran the release candidate in 32bit and 64bit, however I have no intentions of spending unnecessary money for a new operating system when what I have is doing everything I need done, and I guarantee you I am not alone.
I dunno there, Ryan, as I'm looking at the poll right now, and assuming you're the one who voted "Staying with XP", it looks like you are alone... ;) 
October 21, 2009 8:08:36 AM

sminlal said:
I dunno there, Ryan, as I'm looking at the poll right now, and assuming you're the one who voted "Staying with XP", it looks like you are alone... ;) 

He certainly isn't. Tell you what, I've been reading around the last few days online and what's funny is on most of the places people who say good things about XP and shun 7 get negative votes while it's those people that know exactly what they're talking about.

To further confirm what Ryan said, if I have an operating system that does what I want it to do (and HOW I want it to), is compatible with the things I need, and most importantly, one I am used to and know how to work with, then it is going to take a lot of reasons for me to even consider switching to an operating system that is: a) new, b) full of bugs, c) highly unsupported and incompatible with most things until after at least 6 months after release, d) takes me ages to find the things I find in seconds in XP, e) Vista 2, f) more stylish jibberish that does nothing to enhance functionality.

So, no, in my book, I'll be skipping Windows 7. XP support is going to last till 2014, and by that time Windows 8 will already be around, which, they might just get right. What most companies don't know how to do these days, is listen to users. If I made a product that was highly successful for 8 years straight, I'd know how to look for things that made the product liked, take them, build upon them and make them better. Not make an entirely new OS from scratch that failed so hard it didn't sell enough to cover the cost of making it (Vista). Yes, I know it did, but really know, I'm sure you'll find that among the people who are considered PC experts, the amount that bought Vista would be surprisingly low. MS made their Vista money off people who have no idea, about computers, or tech, in general.

Releasing a new OS without any real innovations every 3 years without giving the previous one the chance to mature is, blatantly, and I mean -blatantly-, ripping money from MS customers, and I do not understand how people don't get this.
Look at the jump from Windows 98 to XP. That was a whole new thing. Fresh. It actually could stand up as a new OS.
When I googled pics of Windows 7 for the first time I thought, yeah right, someone modified their Vista around a bit,
Windows 7 wouldn't use the same UI all over again. I was very disappointed when I found out that's what it actually looked like.
Where's the innovation? It's all recycling, from what I can see.

Anyhow, a somewhat lengthy write-up, I just wanted to even the balance a bit in favor of us XP users who like their machines running the way they are and don't want to pay for a product that really does nothing better for them.

Cheers
October 21, 2009 8:32:09 AM

I am NOT knocking the XP users, but don't you remember that when XP came out, it was the same thing.
People refused to move to XP from 98SE because it was a) different, b) wasn't sure how their programs would work with it c)Looked funny.

It took a while for people to warm up to XP. Because of windows ME, people are comparing vista to it and I really don't know why. Vista is a hog, point taken, but it can NEVER be as bad as M.E.

Some are praising XP for having a new UI, but isn't doing the same for vista.

Everything that was said for vista, can be said for EVERY new OS that comes out. Up to this day, 64bit XP is a pain, why, nobody wrote drivers for it. Does that mean that 64bit XP is bad? NO.

Again, I an not knocking ANYONE. I am simply stating that every new OS has it bumps and it is up to the company to decide how to fix it. Either by patching or creating a new one. Windows ME wasn't patched.

Oh and by the way, I had every OS from 3.1 to the current vista and on Thursday will be moving on to win7.
October 21, 2009 12:10:57 PM

I realise there's always backlash and always will be, people are not willing to change, as we all like to stick to things we know very well, myself normally being one of them.
However, at the time XP came out it was clear that it brought features that were actually better and useful. Win98 had a lot of things missing such as USB, etc., that came into use about that time and XP bridged a large technological gap by supporting all these new things.

I was one of the first in my area to move to XP, maybe even too early, but I saw the obvious benefits from it.

I really laughed when people say they "upgraded" to Vista. With 7, I'm not sure, but to me it just doesn't justify moving. Not yet, at least. I'm sure in a year or so it will probably the OS of standard and most of the people will have moved by then, seeing as the response has been pretty good, but by that time hopefully these early "testers" will have helped MS sort out most of the issues with their new OS, and that's where we jump in. I don't wanna be the one paving the road :) 
October 21, 2009 12:13:52 PM

sminlal said:

Well actually I didn't vote in the poll thats an assumption on your part, if Vista taught us nothing it should have taught caution from flocking blindly to the MSFT latest release.

My reasons for attaining Vista were because I fix and repair computers on the side and needed to familiarize myself with the operating system, Win7 however was released as a public testing candidate so I didn't have to buy the thing to test out the 32 and 64 bit versions of it, past the OOHs and AAHs its really no big deal.

Did it pass my scrutiny with flying colors? No it didn't.

Hopefully with SP releases MSFT will finally get it right, then it should be worth investing hard earned money in, but most know the SPs are necessary because once it becomes mainstream its the new OP/SYS to attack by the hackers and security attackers, fresh meat for the junkyard dog.

Whos actually going to buy Win7 in the first place, with the economy in the situation its in, who's going to run out and buy a brand new computer with Win7 installed on it right now not having a clue as to what tomorrow is going to bring, people had better be careful with their money right now, this probably isn't the best time for MSFT to be releasing a brand new OP/SYS anyway.

Since SP2 has been released for Vista its actually a pretty descent operating system now, and MSFT will continue to improve on it, but they wouldn't improve it to the level of Win7s advancements, because that would be business suicide, wouldn't it.

I use Vista specifically for DX10 gaming and WinXP pretty much for everything else, WHY?, because WinXP is a great OP/SYS, if it screws up you can do a Repair Reinstall and in 30 min you're back in business with no needed files lost, it runs all the applications I spent money on that I don't want to part with, and it runs them perfectly.

So there is no reason to switch to a completely new operating system at this time, if Win7 turns out to be MSFTs crown jewel then everyone will probably jump on board, but lets just see what happens first. OK. Ryan

a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 6:48:25 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Well actually I didn't vote in the poll thats an assumption on your part, if Vista taught us nothing it should have taught caution from flocking blindly to the MSFT latest release.
Hey, I totally understand where you're coming from. Frankly, I wouldn't consider upgrading myself except that I'm also going to brand new hardware and so it's a window of opportunity for me.

I just got a chuckle when I saw the juxtaposition of your "I"m not alone in this" combined with the 1 XP loner in the poll (at the time)... :D 
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 11:14:30 PM

Already switched. I now have absolutely no reason to continue using XP or Vista. Every PC in my house (3 desktops, 2 laptops, plus an Archos 9 as soon as I can get my hands on one) is running 7.
October 21, 2009 11:18:20 PM

yes
October 22, 2009 6:03:55 AM

Will be reinstalling either today when i came from work or during weekend.
October 22, 2009 6:34:09 AM

I'll be installing Windows 7 whenever it arrives - it's dispatched but with the postal strike here in the UK it may take quite some time to arrive....
October 22, 2009 6:48:37 AM

Already switched from XP to Win7.

RC working fine for me...
Will buy it whenever RC expires...
October 22, 2009 6:57:54 AM

What shubham said.
October 22, 2009 10:40:00 AM

Well, what'd you expect.

This is the Windows 7 forum :/ 
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 1:48:34 PM

I will be picking up Win7 with my next upgrade. For now, vista is working fine.

I DID beta test windows 7 and aside of some minor driver issues, (mostly fixed by the time the RC came around) it was good.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 3:20:40 PM

Did the install earlier and I must say, it went a heck of a lot faster than when I installed the RC. Granted, at the time I did it was on an old WD 7200rpm drive and a C2D. This time with a Velociraptor and C2Q (did it straight from the HDD), it flew- roughly 25 minutes. Not bad.
!