Sign in with
Your question
Solved

IPS or TN for PS3, does it make a difference?

Last response: in Video Games
September 14, 2012 6:55:17 AM

I am trying to decide which monitor to buy for my PS3, and available here in Nepal are these two:
227E3QPHSU by Philips and the same exact monitor in a non-IPS version. The response time looks faster for the non-IPS (5 vs 14ms). But IPS has better viewing angle which may be a factor as the monitor sits on a coffee table in front of a couch. Is any of this even relevant anymore? thx!

Best solution

a b î Playstation
a b C Monitor
September 14, 2012 12:35:33 PM

IPS will always look better than a TN panel, but only newer IPS panels have good response time. At 14ms, I'd go with the TN panel, but as you said, your viewing angles won't be real good. Most computer flat panels are TN, so if you've used one of those, you should have a feel for the viewing angles and how colors can look darker when viewed at certain angles.
September 14, 2012 12:57:23 PM

Best answer selected by herojig.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 12:57:31 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
IPS will always look better than a TN panel, but only newer IPS panels have good response time. At 14ms, I'd go with the TN panel, but as you said, your viewing angles won't be real good. Most computer flat panels are TN, so if you've used one of those, you should have a feel for the viewing angles and how colors can look darker when viewed at certain angles.

thx hawkeye, I went for the IPS version of this Philips monitor and it looks freakin fantastic. I took my PS3 to the shop and compared both ISP and TN, and the viewing angle was the only thing noticeably different. I'm not a big game, and just really wanted bluerays to look grand, and they do, so thx a lot for the input.

now, I need to figure out how to get analog signals into this monitor, from other devices. I have a TV cable box that only has composite video out, and this monitor has VGA, DVI, and HDMI (one port each). I also have a Sony Home Theatre system with one HDMI out. So... I can yank HDMI cables in and out for the Sony Theatre-->Monitor<--PS3 but not ideal. Is there a multipart HDMI breakout box anyone can recommend? And for the analog signal from the cable box, I have no idea about that! Any tips appreciated...
m
l
a b î Playstation
a b C Monitor
September 14, 2012 2:04:29 PM

Check out monoprice.com. They have excellent service and they can probably help you. I know they have HDMI switches, not sure if they have one with composite too.

http://www.monoprice.com/
m
l
!