OCR Software

Many thanks for the two replies on the subject of OCRs posted on the 5th.

So that there is complete understanding of the subject HP Scanners do not
have full OCR capability. This has been confirmed by them in email
exchanges. HP do not supply any full OCR software either and instead
recommend household names who sell them.

Here is their quote:-I can understand the concern and would like to share
the information
that all the HP Scanjet scanners come with the OCR software. However,
this software provides limited functionality for the scanning. In
order to get the complete software, you need to get the OCR software CD.

=== Some OCR vendors ===

1. Caere Omni-Page Pro, www.caere.com
2. Xerox TextBridge\Pagis Pro, www.xerox.com
3. Iris ReadIris, www.irisusa.com

The first two did not bother to reply to my emails and the last one has a
latest OCR that may do all I want but it is expensive and I would like a
recommendation from someone who has used it before I buy it.

I would still appreciate recommendation of other OCR software that would
without fail perform the tasks as indicated in the posting on the 5th i.e.
it must produce photographic replica (including colours and graphics) of a
document, from which I can copy and paste and Save As the replica as a file
in My Documents in Word 2003 and will work with HP Scanner 5530C. Thank you.

Byte

Iris is one of the best on the market but it is not free.
IRIS – OCR Software & OCR Scanner (excellent)
http://www.irisusa.com/

WOCAR, a freeware for Optical Character Recognition (very good and free)
http://ccambien.free.fr/wocar/index.shtml.en
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Many thanks for the two replies on the subject of OCRs posted on the 5th.
>
> So that there is complete understanding of the subject HP Scanners do not
> have full OCR capability. This has been confirmed by them in email
> exchanges. HP do not supply any full OCR software either and instead
> recommend household names who sell them.
>
> Here is their quote:-I can understand the concern and would like to share
> the information
> that all the HP Scanjet scanners come with the OCR software. However,
> this software provides limited functionality for the scanning. In
> order to get the complete software, you need to get the OCR software CD.
>
> === Some OCR vendors ===
>
> 1. Caere Omni-Page Pro, www.caere.com
> 2. Xerox TextBridge\Pagis Pro, www.xerox.com
> 3. Iris ReadIris, www.irisusa.com
>
> The first two did not bother to reply to my emails and the last one has a
> latest OCR that may do all I want but it is expensive and I would like a
> recommendation from someone who has used it before I buy it.
>
> I would still appreciate recommendation of other OCR software that would
> without fail perform the tasks as indicated in the posting on the 5th i.e.
> it must produce photographic replica (including colours and graphics) of a
> document, from which I can copy and paste and Save As the replica as a file
> in My Documents in Word 2003 and will work with HP Scanner 5530C. Thank you.

"=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax:

>WOCAR, a freeware for Optical Character Recognition (very good and free)
>http://ccambien.free.fr/wocar/index.shtml.en

I've got free Omnipage, bundled with my scanner, but haven't
installed it yet. Would you recommend I install WOCART instead?
Could you mention the principal differences?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Byte

Stan, I would recommend you install Omnipage for it is likely designed to work
or be more compatible with your scanner. I am not familiar with Omnipage
but Wocar is a freebie, thus limited.
--

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=" wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax:
> >
> >WOCAR, a freeware for Optical Character Recognition (very good and free)
> >http://ccambien.free.fr/wocar/index.shtml.en
>
> I've got free Omnipage, bundled with my scanner, but haven't
> installed it yet. Would you recommend I install WOCART instead?
> Could you mention the principal differences?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

"=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax:
>Stan, I would recommend you install Omnipage for it is likely designed to work
>or be more compatible with your scanner. I am not familiar with Omnipage
>but Wocar is a freebie, thus limited.

Thanks for replying, but I wonder if we might hear from someone who
has used both? (This would allow me to be lazy and not test them
both myself. :)

In my experience, "free" doesn't always mean "less capable or of
lower quality". Look at free virus programs versus the big for-pay
ones, for instance.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Byte

Stan, free apps are usually provided on a limited time/period basis, when the
vendor really wants you to purchase their app with more features. In a way
you are correct, for I use free AVG (Grisoft) anti-virus and that is far
better than
Norton's (Symantec) anti-virus or McAfee which are not free.
--

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=" wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax:
> >Stan, I would recommend you install Omnipage for it is likely designed to work
> >or be more compatible with your scanner. I am not familiar with Omnipage
> >but Wocar is a freebie, thus limited.
>
> Thanks for replying, but I wonder if we might hear from someone who
> has used both? (This would allow me to be lazy and not test them
> both myself. :)
>
> In my experience, "free" doesn't always mean "less capable or of
> lower quality". Look at free virus programs versus the big for-pay
> ones, for instance.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"I would still appreciate recommendation of other OCR software that would
without fail perform the tasks as indicated in the posting on the 5th i.e.
it must produce photographic replica (including colours and graphics) of a
document, from which I can copy and paste and Save As the replica as a file
in My Documents in Word 2003 and will work with HP Scanner 5530C. Thank
you."

OCR software (Optical Character Recognition) does not do what you desire. It
is used to transform a graphics representation of a character into a format
(ASCII or other) that is recognizable by a word processing or similar
program.
An example would be scanning a fax message, converting the text, and
transferring the converted text to Word in an editible format.
Font size and formatting may be lost in the process. Imbedded pictures are
generally lost.

Common scanning utilities provided with scanners capture the scanned item as
a graphics file. The result is then editable in a graphics editor, or used
as an insertable image in programs such as word.

The "without fail" requirement is almost impossible. A very good OCR program
may have a very high success rate, but it is not perfect.

I use an inexpensive HP 3970 scanner. Win XP has native support for this
scanner, and HP provides additional software that is mostly picture
oriented. The OCR functionality of the HP included software is basic.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:uSf2SRtUFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

"Chuck" <nospm@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> this software provides limited functionality for the scanning. In
>> order to get the complete software, you need to get the OCR software CD.
>>
>> === Some OCR vendors ===
>>
>> 1. Caere Omni-Page Pro, www.caere.com
>> 2. Xerox TextBridge\Pagis Pro, www.xerox.com
>> 3. Iris ReadIris, www.irisusa.com
>>
>> The first two did not bother to reply to my emails and the last one has a
>> latest OCR that may do all I want but it is expensive and I would like a
>> recommendation from someone who has used it before I buy it.
>>
>> I would still appreciate recommendation of other OCR software that would
>> without fail perform the tasks as indicated in the posting on the 5th
>> i.e. it must produce photographic replica (including colours and
>> graphics) of a document, from which I can copy and paste and Save As the
>> replica as a file in My Documents in Word 2003 and will work with HP

As I understand your post, you do not need an OCR program for what you want
to do. An OCR (Optical Character Recognition) Program is intended to allow
'pictures' of text to be converted to a form that can be editted. If you
just want to enter a 'picture' into a Word document you can do this by
'Insert-Picture-From File' when in Word. You won't be able to edit the
inserted text or piucture but you didn't say that is what you wanted to do.

If I misunderstand you and you do need to edit scanned text then ABBYY Fine
Reader or if you only need to convert to Word or Excel format ABBYY Scan to
Office will do what you require.