USB 2.0 Upgrade for Presario 5002US

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
February 27, 2005 11:27:04 PM

Hi:

I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
the drivers didn't seem to do anything.

Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:29:34 AM

"Clyde" <clyderat@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Should work. Nothing magical. What OS?
February 28, 2005 1:03:29 AM

Sorry for omitting....XP.

I agree that it should be easy, but I'm pulling my hair out.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:29:34 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Clyde" <clyderat@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
>> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
>> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
>> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
>> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
>> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> TIA!
>>

>Should work. Nothing magical. What OS?

February 28, 2005 1:27:19 PM

when I install my pci card on HP, I never was required to use the CD
Install. XP pickup it right up. Maybe try CD and load software then
Install card and see if it picks ups.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:27:04 -0500, Clyde <clyderat@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
>the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
>computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
>drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
>the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>
>Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
>card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA!

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:11:54 AM

Clyde wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Does the card have enough power for the drive? Is there external power
available for the drive?