Emergency Mode

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 2, 2005 9:28:52 PM

Emergency Mode

I've called 911 twice the past month and both times my LG-4400 cell
phone was put into "emergency mode". That is the message displayed at
the bottom of the screen. When this happens the menus are disabled and
the only outgoing call I can make is to 911. Both times I had to power
cycle the phone to get it to reset.

The first time this happened I was on a bicycle ride with a group of
friends in a remote area of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Some time later
about 5 miles from the initial incident another person tried to make a
call but couldn't get connected because of weak signal. I checked my
phone and saw that I had a full 5-bar analog signal. Makes me wonder
if the emergency mode gave me access to a local tower that would not
normally be available with my plan.

Jerry

More about : emergency mode

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:28:53 PM

Jerry wrote:
> Emergency Mode
>
> I've called 911 twice the past month and both times my
> LG-4400 cell phone was put into "emergency mode". That
> is the message displayed at the bottom of the screen.
> When this happens the menus are disabled and the only
> outgoing call I can make is to 911. Both times I had to
> power cycle the phone to get it to reset.
>
> The first time this happened I was on a bicycle ride with
> a group of friends in a remote area of the Santa Cruz
> Mountains. Some time later about 5 miles from the
> initial incident another person tried to make a call but
> couldn't get connected because of weak signal. I checked
> my phone and saw that I had a full 5-bar analog signal.
> Makes me wonder if the emergency mode gave me access to a
> local tower that would not normally be available with my
> plan.

Very likely. Dialling 911 will cause any US cellular phone to
override any programming, PRL, etc. and use *any* compatible
signal it can.

-Quick
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:13:56 AM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:28:52 GMT, Jerry <jerrysch@pacbell.net> chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Emergency Mode
>
>I've called 911 twice the past month and both times my LG-4400 cell
>phone was put into "emergency mode". That is the message displayed at
>the bottom of the screen. When this happens the menus are disabled and
>the only outgoing call I can make is to 911. Both times I had to power
>cycle the phone to get it to reset.

I only had to press End an extra time and my 4400 came out of Emergency
Mode.

>The first time this happened I was on a bicycle ride with a group of
>friends in a remote area of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Some time later
>about 5 miles from the initial incident another person tried to make a
>call but couldn't get connected because of weak signal. I checked my
>phone and saw that I had a full 5-bar analog signal. Makes me wonder
>if the emergency mode gave me access to a local tower that would not
>normally be available with my plan.

Absolutely. As others have said, when you dial 911, the phone will use any
signal it can find regardless of what carrier it is.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I'm not of this earth. My spirit lives half out of my body anyway. I have
to put my feet down on purpose with every step I take. I don't feel like I
live here." - Billy Bob Thornton, quoted in The Washington Post
!