Cannot install Fax Software installation

Tags:
  • Fax
  • Software
  • Windows XP
May 10, 2005 12:11:05 PM

I try to install fax software which is on the Win XP home addition Disc but
since having installed win XP service pack 2 It will not let me install it as
it says disc is older than it is. Any ideas please?

More about : install fax software installation

May 10, 2005 1:00:06 PM

The feature may already be on your harddrive, all you have to do is install/
activate it. Go to: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>lefthand
side, click Add Windows Components>the second item should be Fax Services.
Check it and click Next. It may ask for your WindowsXP installation disk,
if that
does not do it, search for a directory called C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
on your harddrive. The file may be in there, for there are the SP2 files.
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"Tony" wrote:

> I try to install fax software which is on the Win XP home addition Disc but
> since having installed win XP service pack 2 It will not let me install it as
> it says disc is older than it is. Any ideas please?
May 11, 2005 10:30:04 PM

So I had the same problem and was able to find the i386 folder, but the
needed file or driverr was not there, apparently. what now?

"Byte" wrote:

> The feature may already be on your harddrive, all you have to do is install/
> activate it. Go to: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>lefthand
> side, click Add Windows Components>the second item should be Fax Services.
> Check it and click Next. It may ask for your WindowsXP installation disk,
> if that
> does not do it, search for a directory called C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
> on your harddrive. The file may be in there, for there are the SP2 files.
> --
> Today is the first day of the rest of
> your life.
>

> "Tony" wrote:
>
> > I try to install fax software which is on the Win XP home addition Disc but
> > since having installed win XP service pack 2 It will not let me install it as
> > it says disc is older than it is. Any ideas please?
May 13, 2005 7:11:03 PM

Am having the same problem with a Media Centre Edition 2005 bought from a
company that went bust two days afterwards so cannot contact them.

I have an XP Service Pack 2 CD which add/remove Windows components asks me
to insert but then says it cannot find the file. Have tried using an older
XP Pro CD from my old machine and also looked for
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 which do not seem to be on the Media Center
Edition even though it allegedly has SP2 and all the latest updates.

Am finding this most annoying as I had no probs on my old XP Pro machine.

Grateful for any advice/hints.

Steveob

"jojo" wrote:

> So I had the same problem and was able to find the i386 folder, but the
> needed file or driverr was not there, apparently. what now?
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > The feature may already be on your harddrive, all you have to do is install/
> > activate it. Go to: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>lefthand
> > side, click Add Windows Components>the second item should be Fax Services.
> > Check it and click Next. It may ask for your WindowsXP installation disk,
> > if that
> > does not do it, search for a directory called C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
> > on your harddrive. The file may be in there, for there are the SP2 files.
> > --
> > Today is the first day of the rest of
> > your life.
> >

> > "Tony" wrote:
> >
> > > I try to install fax software which is on the Win XP home addition Disc but
> > > since having installed win XP service pack 2 It will not let me install it as
> > > it says disc is older than it is. Any ideas please?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:06:32 PM

Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"steveob" <steveob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am having the same problem with a Media Centre Edition 2005 bought from a
> company that went bust two days afterwards so cannot contact them.
>
> I have an XP Service Pack 2 CD which add/remove Windows components asks me
> to insert but then says it cannot find the file. Have tried using an
older
> XP Pro CD from my old machine and also looked for
> C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 which do not seem to be on the Media
Center
> Edition even though it allegedly has SP2 and all the latest updates.
>
> Am finding this most annoying as I had no probs on my old XP Pro machine.
>
> Grateful for any advice/hints.
>
> Steveob
>
> "jojo" wrote:
>
> > So I had the same problem and was able to find the i386 folder, but the
> > needed file or driverr was not there, apparently. what now?
> >
> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> > > The feature may already be on your harddrive, all you have to do is
install/
> > > activate it. Go to: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove
Programs>lefthand
> > > side, click Add Windows Components>the second item should be Fax
Services.
> > > Check it and click Next. It may ask for your WindowsXP installation
disk,
> > > if that
> > > does not do it, search for a directory called
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
> > > on your harddrive. The file may be in there, for there are the SP2
files.
> > > --
> > > Today is the first day of the rest of
> > > your life.

Disc but
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:15:02 AM

Hal

Found your previous post on another thread before this appeared. Very
useful as it pointed me in the right direction and I found the i386 files in
a different location to that which I expected. They were in C:\Windows
directly rather than in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\. Went to add new
windows components and when it asked for the SP2 CD, pointed it to
C:\Windows\i386 and it installed perfectly.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Steveob

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
> You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP
>
> "This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
> Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:
>
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
> Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional
>
> The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
> I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "steveob" <steveob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Am having the same problem with a Media Centre Edition 2005 bought from a
> > company that went bust two days afterwards so cannot contact them.
> >
> > I have an XP Service Pack 2 CD which add/remove Windows components asks me
> > to insert but then says it cannot find the file. Have tried using an
> older
> > XP Pro CD from my old machine and also looked for
> > C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 which do not seem to be on the Media
> Center
> > Edition even though it allegedly has SP2 and all the latest updates.
> >
> > Am finding this most annoying as I had no probs on my old XP Pro machine.
> >
> > Grateful for any advice/hints.
> >
> > Steveob
> >
> > "jojo" wrote:
> >
> > > So I had the same problem and was able to find the i386 folder, but the
> > > needed file or driverr was not there, apparently. what now?

> install/
> Programs>lefthand
> Services.
> disk,