modding a volcano 7

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Ok I have a volcano 7 and it goes above and beyond my cooling needs. I've heard many ppl comment that they have modded these to always run at the faster speed, etc. I want to know how I can keep it at the slower 2900 RPM speed? Because when I first start the system it's relatively quiet, but once the case heats up and the V7's fan speeds up it's VERY loud. I want to know how to mod the sensor or whatever so it won't kick into the higher speed, as the 2900RPM is said to move 46 CFM and the higher 5300 RPM or whatever speed does like 53, I don't need tons of extra noise for a measely 6 CFM's and maybe at most a 1 or 2 degree CPU temp difference.

I looked around and found plenty of reviews, but no mod guides. Looking forward to yer input, thx ahead.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Most people mod the fan to spin at its fastest by shorting across the thermal sensor. If you want it to run slower, you just need to put a resistor in its place. Find out the resistance of the thermal sensor at normal temps, and get a resistor of the same value that is big enough for the heat dissapation.

At least I think that is what you need to do, I have a volcano 7+ and mine is just a Low/Medium/High switch.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bardic on 08/06/02 02:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>