pdf printing problem

neilm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002

I have 2 PCs
1 has Windows XP Pro
1 has Windows 2000 Pro

I have a 1.5mb pdf file and when I print from XP the print job size is
22mb(Twenty-two), yet when I print the same file using the same version
acrobat as xp the file size is 2.8mb.

I am printing to a HP Laser 4050 Network printer(IP) from both PCs with same
printer driver installed.

Can anyone explain or point me to a resource which would explain what
happens to the print job when I print and why the huge difference in size.

Thanks
Neil

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Some increase is due to a conversion from the PDF file format to a format
compatable with the printer. Since the hp's are usually capable of more than
one data format, perhaps one printer driver is set to "Raw", or postscript,
and the other to another output data mode. A difference in available modes
supported by one driver vs the other may also have an effect.
How about resolution settings? A page printed at 300 DPI is usually going to
have a much smaller amount of data sent than one printed at 600 DPI in "RAW"
mode.

"NeilM" <NeilM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 PCs
> 1 has Windows XP Pro
> 1 has Windows 2000 Pro
>
> I have a 1.5mb pdf file and when I print from XP the print job size is
> 22mb(Twenty-two), yet when I print the same file using the same version
> acrobat as xp the file size is 2.8mb.
>
> I am printing to a HP Laser 4050 Network printer(IP) from both PCs with
> same
> printer driver installed.
>
> Can anyone explain or point me to a resource which would explain what
> happens to the print job when I print and why the huge difference in size.
>
> Thanks
> Neil

neilm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002

Chuck
Thank you, I will go and investigate further with this advise.

Thanks again
Neil