Paladins

Taken from the Paladin Class Issues thread in the EQLive forums:

"6. Two handed weapons (including Epics) NEW

Two handed weapons are too far behind equivalent level one handers and
shields in terms of stats. Everyone agrees that there should be a stat
penalty to going two-handed, due to the DPS improvement, but the difference
is currently too great. Remember that not only do we lose out in terms of
the regular stats being lower on a two hander than on a one hander plus
shield, we also lose the potential of a second set of focus effects and a
second augment (a very big deal given the quality of augments available
these days). There was some suggestion at the Summit of giving two handers
a second augment slot, for example, to narrow the gap somewhat - can this
be implemented?"

Are these the same people who were complaining a year or two ago that they
didn't have a good reason to go with a 1H and shield? Is it that, even
given better stat/focus/aug options (how much better?) on a shield and 1H,
they still don't want to give up any DPS to get it? I would think they
would expect to give up a some DPS to get the advantages of a shield.

This just struck me as curious. Someone feel free to enlighten me.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone agrees that there should be a stat penalty to going two-handed,
> due to the DPS improvement, but the difference is currently too great.

> This just struck me as curious. Someone feel free to enlighten me.

It must be far different for paladins. Monks regularly complain that their
2h's aren't worth using because of the stat difference *and* the fact that
2h's don't keep up with the dps of 1h's.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:00:13 GMT, Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>Everyone agrees that there should be a stat penalty to going two-handed,
>due to the DPS improvement...

WTF is *that* about?

My Blade of Disruption / Twice Forged Steel Bulwark combination outparses my Edge of
Envelopment by quite a bit. AND my stats are higher with the 1HS/Shield combo. I very
rarely equip my EoE. I'd sell it off but its attuneable. **sigh**

>Are these the same people who were complaining a year or two ago that they
>didn't have a good reason to go with a 1H and shield?

One word: "Bash."

Of course, you could always earn the 2H bash AA, if you're working on AA. Personally, I'm
happy with my Holy Pony and 100% XP for now. I'll go back to 100% AA after I ding past
PoP, but until then, dumping a bunch of XP into AAs isn't in the cards.

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Rumbledor wrote:
> Taken from the Paladin Class Issues thread in the EQLive forums:
>
> "6. Two handed weapons (including Epics) NEW
>
> Two handed weapons are too far behind equivalent level one handers and
> shields in terms of stats. Everyone agrees that there should be a stat
> penalty to going two-handed, due to the DPS improvement, but the difference
> is currently too great. Remember that not only do we lose out in terms of
> the regular stats being lower on a two hander than on a one hander plus
> shield, we also lose the potential of a second set of focus effects and a
> second augment (a very big deal given the quality of augments available
> these days). There was some suggestion at the Summit of giving two handers
> a second augment slot, for example, to narrow the gap somewhat - can this
> be implemented?"
>
> Are these the same people who were complaining a year or two ago that they
> didn't have a good reason to go with a 1H and shield? Is it that, even
> given better stat/focus/aug options (how much better?) on a shield and 1H,
> they still don't want to give up any DPS to get it? I would think they
> would expect to give up a some DPS to get the advantages of a shield.
>
> This just struck me as curious. Someone feel free to enlighten me.

If it struck you as curious, it struck me as the most ridiculous thing
I've ever heard of :)

Since 'Shield Block' arrived, the only reason any member of either
knight class should be using a two hander is that they're not tanking
(or have only 5 AA's so haven't got SB yet)

If you're not tanking, your hitpoints and AC take a hell of a nosedive
on the relevance scale.

cheers,
James

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Everyone agrees that there should be a stat penalty to going
>> two-handed, due to the DPS improvement, but the difference is
>> currently too great.
>
>> This just struck me as curious. Someone feel free to enlighten me.
>
> It must be far different for paladins. Monks regularly complain that
> their 2h's aren't worth using because of the stat difference *and* the
> fact that 2h's don't keep up with the dps of 1h's.

That would be because monks can dual wield, Knights cannot.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

TRENDING THREADS