water cooling

neilm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Sorry for being such a newbie here about this, but I'm intending to build a p4 2ghz PC and wanting to get into water cooling to reduce noise (fans are so so noisy).

What do you advise me doing? Are there any problems with water cooling over the fan based approach? Any tutorials to install these type of hardware? What all water coolers do I need (I seen some hdd, cpu, vid, case, psu - not sure if i need all of them)?

Thats all the questions I could think of at this time of night, but that's probably far too much to ask in the first post anyways (not much on this stuff on the net).

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies,
neil.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
you have 2 options...
-get a water cooled case (which includes cooling for hdd, cpu, gpu, chipset) at www.koolance.com
or
-get only the cooling system, without the case. the best makers are innovatek. www.highspeedpc.com sells them.

koolance cases:
-pro: easy to use, cooling for hdd, chipset, gpu
-con: not as high quality as innovatek

innovatek cpu cooler:
pro: good quality parts and cooling
con: harder to install (need to make a hole in ur case for radiator fan), no cooling for hdd, gpu and chipset.

depending on your computer needs. if u are thinkin of overclocking u maybe wanna consider water cooled case of overall protection of your parts. but if u dont you can consider innovatek's cpu water cooler instead. good luck

the worst failure is not trying........so go ahead and TRY to overclock your cpu to 5ghz

Topino

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
well grassapa i have to say that innovatek have waterblock also for hd gpu and chipset if u look at www.innovatek.de u see that :)

anyway the options are perfect :))

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
where in the website is it? all i can find is the cpu water cooler, can u provide a link plz?

the worst failure is not trying........so go ahead and TRY to overclock your cpu to 5ghz

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
In case you're still reading this, I'd advise against the Koolance. Due to its awkward positioning of three high speed 80mm fans on the top to cool the radiator, its noise levels are no better, and usually worse, than any other case.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cakecake on 08/16/02 03:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
why do you say that the fans on top are bad? they used to be at the bottom. the fans on top are efficient and even helps the case temp to lower since heat wants to rise to the top of the case. plus the cases has many good reviews, i think even THG reviewed them.

neilm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Thanks for all the replies, I'm getting a better picture about it now. I guess I'm still a little worried if one of these coolers burst inside my case.

I'm building a new pc, how much would it cost to implement the water cooling?

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Oops, I meant to say in terms of sound levels. I edited my post. Basically most reviews I've seen of the Koolance say that the sound levels are quite high, even on the lowest fan setting. The temperature levels themselves are very respectable using the system since it cools so many components, and the pump seems reliable.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET