Bottleneck?

Monkeymagic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
I have just upgraded my pc to an xp1800, msi kt3 Ultra, Geforce 4 TI4400, 256Mb Pc2100 DDR Ram. I am still using an old Seagate 66ATA 40Gb hard drive. Will this be the weakest link and explian why my PC is crashing? Should I upgrade the HD? I have the FSB set to 146. The processor runs at 47 degrees under load. I had a benchmark scores of approx 10500.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
If you're crashing, it may be a few things. If you have a weak power supply, poor generic ram, or an older hard drive. I would ditch it for a newer ATA 100 Western Digital Special Edition, with 8mb cache. Could be your power supply though...that's probably the most important

"When there's a will, there's a way."

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
On the contrary Segate has faster hard drives, not too much, but they has consistant read a write speeds, if you don't believe me then look at tom's revies. The powersupply could most deffinately be the problem, or the FSB is too high, try lowering it to 140 and run a series of benchmarks. Also try playing music as decoding music is a fairly CPU intesive task, that will determin weather or not the fsb is too high. The hard drive is not the cause of a crash, it is the PS, ram, CPU, or possibly a vedoe card overclocked could cause it to freeze during a game. If you have any questions just post another, good luck !!!!!!!!

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
the HD is a hurt, but that's only going to be a problem with speed. a slow HD will make your computer run slower, but only crash if its very poor quality, not slow.

It's many many times more likely that your power supply is to blame, if it's old/low wattage or just cheap.

-Col.Kiwi