EQ2: LU #12 Up on Test

Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 12:53:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

The patch notes for LU #12 are up on test and look to have some pretty
intesting things in it. Some of the things that I think will be the
best are:

- Change your bind point to anywhere in your home city! (I might as
well bind right in front of the mender)
- In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters rather
than specific mobs)
- Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the guild
or ceases to be a patron. Thus, guilds never lose the levels they have
already earned. (This cuts down on the damage that some guilds have
seen where their high level patrons leave for another guild)

The Live Event sounds like fun also - of course I have a special place
in my heart for ratonga ;)  I'm really looking forward to trying the
single group zone that is suppose to be 'highly challenging' for high
level adventurers. Right now, I think the only zone that fits that
description might be Sanctum of Fear - and as long as you are careful
that zone isn't overly taxing.

One change that should spice things up is "- The area-of-effect range
of large creatures now matches the range in which you can hit them." I
wonder if that is just melee or ranged also. Is that limited to Wrath
of Fury, or other AEs as well?

Overall, this looks to be a pretty decent update after the somewhat
mediocre showing (Splitpaw excluded) of LUs #10 and #11.

More about : eq2 test

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:57:46 PM

Vidden wrote:
> These few things sounds great! Can you do me a favor though and post
> the entire patch message?

Sorry about that, I didn't want to spam the news groups :)  Full patch
notes follow (just formatting changes to remove excessive white space):

*** Headlines ***

- Change your bind point to anywhere in your home city!

- Invite other players into groups, raids, and guilds when they aren't
in the same zone!

- Sort your quests by the current zone for each quest step!

- Earn experience for your guild by collecting status loot!

- Learning tradeskills is made even easier with new artisan quests!

- Gain coin and better loot from defeating creatures!

- Guilds no longer lose status when members leave!

- Add a new hotkey to toggle between your two most recent targets!

- Lots of user interface tweaks and improvements!

- The quest completion ding is back!

- Mysterious activities around the mines of Norrath introduce our
latest live event!

*** Change Your Bind Point ***

- You may now complete a quest that gives you the ability to set your
bind point to any location in your home city.

- Citizens of either Qeynos or Freeport can undertake the quest to gain
this ability.

- Those seeking this new way to bind themselves to their hometowns need
only learn the secret from either Ethurien in Antonica or Heilanna in
the Commonlands.

- After you gain the ability to bind yourself to a new location, your
Call of Qeynos or Call of the Overlord spells will return you to that
spot.

- You can change your bind point as often as you like, to any location
in your home city itself.

*** Cross-Zone Invites ***

- You can now invite other players into your group, raid, or guild
regardless of whether or not they are in the same zone you are.

- To invite a player outside your current zone into your group, enter
the "/invite X" where X is the name of the potential group member.

- When you receive an invitation to group, the confirmation window will
display the name of the zone where the player inviting you is located.

- Commands such as /makeleader now work across zone lines as well.

- Guild commands such as promotions now work across zone lines.

- You will now be able to see the Health and Power of group members who
aren't in your zone. Updates to their stats will occur every few
seconds.

- The tooltip for group members now shows which zone they are in.

*** Quest Journal Sorting ***

- You can now sort your quest journal according to the current zone for
quests rather than the quest type or starting zone.

- For instance, if you are working on a quest you received in Antonica
and the next step takes you to the Thundering Steppes, you can sort
your quest journal by current zone and that quest will be listed under
"The Thundering Steppes."

- To use this feature, just click the drop-down menu at the top of the
quest journal. Change from the default of "Sort by Category" to "Sort
by Current Zone."

- Note: When using this feature, some quests will be lumped together
under "Unknown." This is because we are still in the process of
assigning current zone information to some of our thousands of quests.
There is no need to file a bug report or petition about such quests, as
we will be adding that information in the near future.

*** Status Loot ***

- In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
items.

- Many of the NPCs around Norrath now have a chance to drop items that
the major political factions in each of city are after. Be on the
lookout for these new types of Scrying Stones, Amulets, Sealed
Documents, and Relics. There are different varieties of each of these
items for each level range.

- You can sell these new items to the same NPCs that assign writ
quests. This is a whole new way to increase your guild level and
personal status.

*** Artisan Quests ***

- We have introduced a series of quests for new players to better
explain how to become an artisan and to help them decide which style of
crafting they prefer.

- Examining the note given to new players by Assistant Dreak on the
Isle of Refuge (or obtained when they leave the island) will now grant
a quest leading them to their tradeskill society.

- Once inside, budding artisans will be guided through the steps of
making many different types of items. This will explain the benefits of
each of the crafting classes.

- New players will learn how the crafting process works, plus earn
tradeskill experience and cash through these quests.

- Completing the quest series provides a tunic that gives bonuses to
artisan skills and will make the crafter a citizen of their home city
if they haven't become one already.

*** Loot Improvements ***

- Sentient creatures now have a chance to drop coin when you defeat
them.

- Various forms of wildlife will drop damaged pelts or hides.

- Creatures no longer drop random body parts and other gross items as
loot. Who wants to pick up skulls or clumps of maggots anyway?

- Some creatures drop loot items that can be used in tradeskills. If an
item can be used in crafting, examining it will explain how.

*** Guilds ***

- Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the guild
or ceases to be a patron. Thus, guilds never lose the levels they have
already earned.

- Guild levels are now capped at 30. Additional guild experience cannot
be earned until the guild level cap is raised.

- There was a bug causing many guild levels to show as one less than
they really are. This is now fixed, thus guilds may notice their level
increase by one.

- You can now (for a 5 silver fee) send an in-game mail message to
every member of your guild. Address your mail to "guild." You
cannot attach items to the mail, and you can only send messages to the
guild of which you are a member. Guild leaders can decide which ranks
have permission to send guild mail.

- You will no longer be able to complete two guild writs at the same
time by killing the same NPC.

- You can now receive a new tradeskill writ every 20 minutes instead of
every 30 minutes.

- The Tradesman gear bought from the City Merchants is now wearable by
all classes.

*** Mysteries in the Mines ***

- Pale rat-like creatures, similar to ratonga but smaller, have been
spotted in and around various mines in places like the Commonlands,
Antonica, and the Orcish Wastes.

- Rumors abound of ancient artifacts these beings may be seeking.

- The creatures are said to be in the employ of some greater, more
sinister power.

- Qeynos residents can find out more information from Pearl Honeywine
in Qeynos Harbor, while Freeport citizens can learn details from Mareva
D'iniv in North Freeport.

- The quests will lead you to different destinations depending on your
level range.

- The quest for high-level players will lead them to a highly
challenging new single-group dungeon instance. This zone will remain
available even after the live event has been completed.

*** The Splitpaw Saga ***

- If you previously earned the trust of the gnolls in the "A Darkened
Shard" quest but deleted or sold your shard, you will now be able to
purchase another shard from Gumgullet in the Splitpaw Den. If you
deleted the "A Darkened Shard" quest in attempting to acquire the shard
again, the "earning the trust of the gnolls" stage of the quest should
now update when you zone into the Splitpaw Den.

- To avoid confusion, "a glowing azure shard" with the Buoyancy effect
is now named "a luminous azure shard." The version of "a glowing azure
shard" with the Return to Splitpaw spell has not been changed.

*** Gameplay ***

- Food and drink effects will no longer disappear if you revive in a
zone other than the one in which you died.

- NPCs were not properly receiving their innate spell effects (such as
see invisible) when they spawned, although they did receive these
abilities if they were engaged and reset for any reason. These NPCs
will now have their innate abilities present when they arrive in the
world. As a result, some creatures will now see invisible (or be
invisible, for that matter) that didn't seem to before.

*** Zones and Population ***

- Certain instanced zones now have limitations on the maximum number of
players that can be inside them at any one time. Any player characters
who enter the zone and exceed that maximum will be kicked out to the
parent zone after 20 seconds. Characters about to be removed from the
zone will receive a warning that this will happen. If a different
player leaves instead, the first player will be notified that they will
no longer be removed from the zone.

- Guard NPCs should no longer go on a zone-wide killing spree after
attacking a single target.

- Skulkers in the Forest Ruins no longer flee when low on health.

- Forest Flares in Nektulos Forest now have a new appearance.

*** Epic Encounters ***

- The area-of-effect range of large creatures now matches the range in
which you can hit them.

- Most instanced epic raid zones now only allow the intended number of
players inside. Anyone who exceeds this number will be kicked out of
the zone after 20 seconds.

*** Quests ***

- The quest reward window is no longer blocked when you have character
advancement options available every two levels.

- Heritage quests can be deleted from your journal, and now fall under
the 50-quest maximum.

- Charly Ashlash in Lavastorm is no longer attackable, and thus no
longer needs to hide from those scary adventurers.

- Priest Kelian will no longer offer the priest class quest to level
20+ priests that hail him. In addition, Kelian had decided to dress in
a more priestly manner.

*** Items ***

- Stacks of arrows will no longer unequip and end up in your inventory
when zoning or logging in.

*** Spells and Combat Arts ***

- The Apprentice IV version of the Swashbuckler's Gibe ability now has
the proper effect.

*** Tradeskills ***

- The recipes for creating primary interim components using Apothecary,
Geomancy, Timbercraft, and Weaving which required 10 fuels now require
2.

- You should now be able to complete and advance in quests to make
Middling Thirst for Blood.

- The Yew Fighting Baton recipe now uses woodworking reaction arts
instead of weaponsmith reaction arts.

*** Controls, Commands, and User Interface ***

- You can now assign a key to toggle between your two most recent
targets. To set a key, open the Options menu and click the Controls
category, then click the plus sign (+) next to Targeting Keys. Click
the box next to "Select Previous Target" and choose which key you'd
like to use.

- The Raid window now correctly shows when raid members are dead.

- Mentoring information now fits properly in the Raid window.

- Typing /raid_who will send a list of all raid members to the chat
window.

- Mousing over a bag in your inventory now lists the contents of that
bag in the tooltip.

- Bags in your inventory now say "Open" if you have them open.

- Locking a hotkey window will now prevent you from dragging hotkey
icons from it.

- Stats and resistances now show up properly when examining an item
that you aren't wearing.

- The Skills window now displays the Tracking, Fist, and Poisoning
skills.

- Examining a weapon now lists its damage type (slashing, crushing, or
piercing) under the Skill heading.

- Examining a piece of armor now shows whether it is Cloth, Leather,
Chain, or Plate armor.

- Hitting a function key a second time will now target that character's
pet. For example, hitting F2 once will target that group member.
Hitting F2 again will target that player's pet.

- The Maintained Spells window is now much more informative about each
spell's target. Mousing over an icon will show "Self" as the target if
the spell is cast on you, "Pet" if the target is a pet, "Group" if it
is a group spell, and the name of the target if it is someone other
than yourself.

- Tooltips now update properly to show the number of charges remaining
on an item.

- Group members are now visible on your map even when you haven't
journeyed to that area of the zone yet and the map only shows black.

- The parental control timer now gives you multiple warnings before you
are logged out.

- Scholar and spellcasting headings now show up properly in the Skills
window.

- Double-clicking the quest helper window when it displays a quest
update will now open the quest journal to the updated quest instead of
the currently selected one.

- You can now show a time stamp on each line of text that appears in
the chat window. To enable this feature, open the Options menu and
click the User Interface button, then click the plus sign (+) next to
Chat Window. Check the "Show chat message time" box.

- Bag labels will now persist when you zone.

- If you are typing a line of text and hit a movement key to run away
from something (causing "wwwwwwwwwww" to appear in your chat line, for
example), your character will soon begin running forward and the
repeated character will be removed from the chat line.

- Bag windows are no longer resized when window positions are reset.

- UI modders will be pleased to find that group dynamic data now works
properly. Mod away!

*** Audio ***

- Completing a quest once again triggers a nice little congratulatory
jingle.

- Completing a heritage quest triggers a special sound that should be
familiar to EQ veterans.

*** UI Files Updated ***

eq2ui_popup_bug.xml

eq2ui_mainhud_skills.xml

eq2ui_gamedata.xml
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:19:52 PM

scritchy wrote:
> The patch notes for LU #12 are up on test and look to have some
> pretty
> intesting things in it. Some of the things that I think will be the
> best are:
>
> - Change your bind point to anywhere in your home city! (I might as
> well bind right in front of the mender)
> - In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
> NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of
> dropped
> items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters
> rather
> than specific mobs)
> - Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the
> guild
> or ceases to be a patron. Thus, guilds never lose the levels they
> have
> already earned. (This cuts down on the damage that some guilds have
> seen where their high level patrons leave for another guild)
>
> The Live Event sounds like fun also - of course I have a special
> place
> in my heart for ratonga ;)  I'm really looking forward to trying the
> single group zone that is suppose to be 'highly challenging' for
> high
> level adventurers. Right now, I think the only zone that fits that
> description might be Sanctum of Fear - and as long as you are
> careful
> that zone isn't overly taxing.
>
> One change that should spice things up is "- The area-of-effect
> range
> of large creatures now matches the range in which you can hit them."
> wonder if that is just melee or ranged also. Is that limited to
> Wrath
> of Fury, or other AEs as well?
>
> Overall, this looks to be a pretty decent update after the somewhat
> mediocre showing (Splitpaw excluded) of LUs #10 and #11.

These few things sounds great! Can you do me a favor though and post
the entire patch message?

Submitted by: Vidden
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum
July 14, 2005 5:09:47 PM

Wolfie wrote:
> "scritchy" wrote
>
> > - In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
> > NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
> > items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters rather
> > than specific mobs)
>
> Welcome to massive powerleveling of the uber guilds who haven't
> worried about it before....

I'm not sure how that would make a difference between a hardcore group
doing writs and now those same people getting status for turning stuff
in. I think writs will still be the main artery for gaining guild
levels, this will just be an added 'bonus' for people to either
contribute to the guild (if they are patrons) or personal status (if
they aren't patrons). I don't see them becoming common enough or worth
so much that they will destabalize the system. For what its worth,
most of the 'uber guilds' I know are already high 20s-30.

> > - Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the guild
> > or ceases to be a patron.
>
> That'll be nice in some ways (casual guilds won't get burned by
> players leaving for raid guilds) and bad in others (guilds won't
> have as much motivation to keep players happy.)

This will also allow the 'starter guilds' to not be on the level
elevator as people hop onto the more raiding oriented guilds. Main
problem I see is the ability to abuse it. Combine that with the
ability to make anybody anywhere a patron (the zone restrictions are
also going away for invites/promotions/etc) and you can depatron
everybody and only patron somebody right before they contribute to
maximize the contributions from everybody. My baby conjuror hasn't
done any heritage quests (no need so far), but with something like this
I could pound them out until the last step, get patroned, complete the
heritages, then depatron. There really needs to be some way to check
that kind of thing.

> All in all pretty good, though.

Agreed.
July 14, 2005 11:24:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"scritchy" wrote

> - Change your bind point to anywhere in your home city! (I might as
> well bind right in front of the mender)

That'll help with the bitching by people who moved to another
town. I suspect it'll also resolve the 'problem' of casting Call
while in illusion...

> - In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
> NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
> items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters rather
> than specific mobs)

Welcome to massive powerleveling of the uber guilds who haven't
worried about it before....

> - Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the guild
> or ceases to be a patron.

That'll be nice in some ways (casual guilds won't get burned by
players leaving for raid guilds) and bad in others (guilds won't
have as much motivation to keep players happy.)

All in all pretty good, though.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:06:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>> I'm not sure how that would make a difference between a hardcore group
>> doing writs and now those same people getting status for turning stuff
>> in.

>Because they can buy them, of course, meaning they don't take
>time or effort. Guilds killing top-end mobs get plenty of loot
>they can and do sell. So instead of 'wasting' time doing writs,
>they simply pop into the broker and buy guild XP.

And why do you think SOE hasn't thought of this already and made the
items "NO-TRADE"?
July 15, 2005 10:29:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"scritchy" wrote
> Wolfie wrote:
>> "scritchy" wrote
>>
>> > - In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
>> > NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
>> > items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters rather
>> > than specific mobs)
>>
>> Welcome to massive powerleveling of the uber guilds who haven't
>> worried about it before....
>
> I'm not sure how that would make a difference between a hardcore group
> doing writs and now those same people getting status for turning stuff
> in.

Because they can buy them, of course, meaning they don't take
time or effort. Guilds killing top-end mobs get plenty of loot
they can and do sell. So instead of 'wasting' time doing writs,
they simply pop into the broker and buy guild XP.

> I don't see them becoming common enough or worth
> so much that they will destabalize the system. For what its worth,
> most of the 'uber guilds' I know are already high 20s-30.

And they'll all hit 30 shortly after this change IMO.

You can already level a twink easily by simply spending
plat; why extend the same benefit to guilds?
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:31:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>>> Because they can buy them, of course, meaning they don't take
>>> time or effort. Guilds killing top-end mobs get plenty of loot
>>> they can and do sell. So instead of 'wasting' time doing writs,
>>> they simply pop into the broker and buy guild XP.

>> And why do you think SOE hasn't thought of this already and made the
>> items "NO-TRADE"?

>SOE (via their community representative) has said they'll be
>tradeable on the official forums, for one. Because they are
>tradeable on the test server, for another. It doesn't mean
>they'll stay that way, but that's the way it was released to
>test.

Wasn't aware of that. Still sounds like an exploit SOE hasn't thought
through. I don't think it will be long before you can't trade them.
July 15, 2005 5:36:49 PM

BombayMix wrote:
> > > I'm not sure how that would make a difference between a hardcore
> > > group doing writs and now those same people getting status for
> > > turning stuff in.
>
> > Because they can buy them, of course, meaning they don't take
> > time or effort. Guilds killing top-end mobs get plenty of loot
> > they can and do sell. So instead of 'wasting' time doing writs,
> > they simply pop into the broker and buy guild XP.
>
> And why do you think SOE hasn't thought of this already and made the
> items "NO-TRADE"?

SOE (via their community representative) has said they'll be
tradeable on the official forums, for one. Because they are
tradeable on the test server, for another. It doesn't mean
they'll stay that way, but that's the way it was released to
test.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:57:00 PM

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message

> "scritchy" wrote
>
> > - Change your bind point to anywhere in your home city! (I might as
> > well bind right in front of the mender)
>
> That'll help with the bitching by people who moved to another
> town. I suspect it'll also resolve the 'problem' of casting Call
> while in illusion...
>
> > - In addition to completing writs that are assigned to you by city
> > NPCs, you can now earn guild status by turning in new kinds of dropped
> > items. (This could be a nice bonus if it is on random critters rather
> > than specific mobs)
>
> Welcome to massive powerleveling of the uber guilds who haven't
> worried about it before....
>
> > - Guilds no longer lose status or levels when a patron leaves the guild
> > or ceases to be a patron.
>
> That'll be nice in some ways (casual guilds won't get burned by
> players leaving for raid guilds) and bad in others (guilds won't
> have as much motivation to keep players happy.)
>
> All in all pretty good, though.

Pretty happy with the change altnough it's a week too late for us.
We've had one of our patrons leave us to go to a uber guild and in the
process we lost a level.
It would have only have been another half a level and we could have all had
cheaper ponies ;)
!