booting Presario 5330 from an ATA/133 card

Has anyone managed to get a Presario 5330 or similar to boot
from a drive connected to an ATA/133 card? Win 2K installs
to the drives OK up until the first time it needs to reboot,
and I've been round and round the BIOS setup screens, but I
just can't find how to get the system to boot from a drive
hooked to the ATA/133 card.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian.

--
NOTE
Replies to the e-mail address used to post this

    Checking the obvious:

    During POST, have you gone into the controller cards BIOS and set it to
    bootable?

    In the Compaqs BIOS (depending on how custom it is) I would set the
    boot order somthing like this
    1) Boot other Devices
    2) Boot removable devices
    3) boot ATAPI CDROM
    4) boot IDE Hard Drive

    Can you boot off of a cd and read the drive? If yes, look for NTLDR
    and NT DETECT on the drive connected to the controller. Check the
    boot.ini file and if it says mulit 0 disk 0 blah blah bla, try
    changing it to mulit 3 disk 3

    or what ever number works.

    In article <7pq621di7fusvqaupnrruvtmiqbvumenqi@4ax.com>, Brian
    <usenetposting@meadows.pair.com> writes

    >Has anyone managed to get a Presario 5330 or similar to boot
    >from a drive connected to an ATA/133 card? Win 2K installs
    >to the drives OK up until the first time it needs to reboot,
    >and I've been round and round the BIOS setup screens, but I
    >just can't find how to get the system to boot from a drive
    >hooked to the ATA/133 card.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Brian.

    Is this a Promise card?

    The manual for a Promise card instructs you to load the Promise drivers
    at a very early stage in the install (for WINNT, Win 2K and Windows XP,
    Win9x is different). How you do it depends upon the type of install.
    Did you do this?
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:07:25 +0000, Nicholas D Richards
    <nicholas@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <7pq621di7fusvqaupnrruvtmiqbvumenqi@4ax.com>, Brian
    ><usenetposting@meadows.pair.com> writes
    >>
    >>Has anyone managed to get a Presario 5330 or similar to boot
    >>from a drive connected to an ATA/133 card? Win 2K installs
    >>to the drives OK up until the first time it needs to reboot,
    >>and I've been round and round the BIOS setup screens, but I
    >>just can't find how to get the system to boot from a drive
    >>hooked to the ATA/133 card.
    >>
    >>Anyone got any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Brian.
    >>
    >Is this a Promise card?
    >
    >The manual for a Promise card instructs you to load the Promise drivers
    >at a very early stage in the install (for WINNT, Win 2K and Windows XP,
    >Win9x is different). How you do it depends upon the type of install.
    >Did you do this?

    No, it isn't a Promise card, the brand is Silicon Image if
    that makes a difference. As regards the install, yes, I
    loaded the drivers at the usual stage, i.e. F6 right at the
    start of the process and then add the drivers. The first
    part of the install then went just fine, the drives were
    accessible.

    The problem comes on the first reboot. While Win 2K, as
    loaded from the CD, can see the drives on the controller,
    the PC just won't *boot* from them. The controller BIOS
    shows up in the POST, and the drives are correctly
    identified, but the PC just doesn't see drives attached to
    the controller as valid boot devices.

    I can get everything to work OK provided one of the hard
    drives is attached to the motherboard controller, it will
    then see the other drive attached to the ATA/133 card just
    fine, but having to have the boot device on the MB
    controller sort of negates (well, half-negates) the reason
    for buying the controller in the first place.

    Brian.

    --

    On 28 Feb 2005 19:39:52 -0800, returnoftheyeti@aol.com
    wrote:

    >Checking the obvious:
    >
    >During POST, have you gone into the controller cards BIOS and set it to
    >bootable?

    It's not obvious, because I can't find any way to get into
    the controller card's BIOS! The only option I'm given is to
    hit F3 if I want to set the drives into a RAID
    configuration. For the moment, I'm just trying to get the
    controller to work without the RAID features. Anyway, I
    looked at the RAID menus, and there was nothing about
    setting the card BIOS to be bootable, or anything close to
    it.

    >In the Compaqs BIOS (depending on how custom it is) I would set the
    >boot order somthing like this
    >1) Boot other Devices
    >2) Boot removable devices
    >3) boot ATAPI CDROM
    >4) boot IDE Hard Drive

    There are five options for the boot order, I have them set
    in the following order

    1) Floppy
    2) Hard drive (C:)
    3) IDE CD-ROM
    4) USB
    5) Ethernet

    There's no entry for "other devices" or "removable devices".

    If I look at the controller order, then I have that set as
    follows

    1) Maxtor 4D080H4
    2) Samsung SV4002H
    3) Integrated IDE

    1) and 2) are the correctly-identified drives on the ATA/133
    card, the Maxtor is the primary master, and the Samsung the
    primary slave.

    If I look at the device configuration menu, then the only
    devices I can configure under that are the DVD-RW and the
    floppy.

    Finally, if I go to the advanced menu and look at the PCI
    devices, the RAID card is listed, and it has sole use of
    IRQ5.

    >Can you boot off of a cd and read the drive?

    I don't have a bootable CD with the drivers for the card
    loaded. I was trying to build the system when I came up
    against the problem, I can't get through an installation of
    the operating system, it fails at the first reboot, when the
    drives on the ATA/133 have become invisible again.

    >If yes, look for NTLDR
    >and NT DETECT on the drive connected to the controller. Check the
    >boot.ini file and if it says mulit 0 disk 0 blah blah bla, try
    >changing it to mulit 3 disk 3
    >
    >or what ever number works.

    Yes, I know about the boot.ini file. I guess the only way I
    can try this out is to put a third drive on the MB IDE,
    build a system on that including the ATA/133 drivers, make a
    bootable CD from there, then remove the third drive and try
    booting from the CD. I'll give it a whirl and see what
    happens - back in a day or so with the answer. I might also
    try the card in another (non-Compaq!) PC and see whether I
    get the same sort of problems.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Brian.

    --
    NOTE
    Replies to the e-mail address used to post this
    message will bounce. Replace 'usenetposting'
    with my name for any e-mail replies.

    Most likely you cant boot off the card, hence the no "boot other
    device" option.

    I still think that if you can edit the boot.ini file you can get this
    to work. You have 2 onboard IDE devices and 2 card controlled devices.
    IDE1 - /dev/hda IDE2 = /dev/hdc, IDE3 (firs card IDE device) -
    /dev/hde, IDE4 = /dev/hdg. So your boot.ini file should read somthing
    like mulit(5) disk(5). Simply stated, the boot HD on the controller
    card is the 5th ide device reckonized by the BIOS.

    All you really need to do to make this work is put the boot loader on
    another media. Like you said you can add another HD and put the
    NTDETECT, NTLDR, and boot.ini files on it and leave the rest of the OS
    on the HD connected to the controller card. Your BIOS supports USB
    boot, so get the smallest flash card you can find, and a cheap flash
    card reader and put the boot loader on that. You can use the NT
    loader, LILO, grub, etc.. If you dont have a lot of experiance w/ boot
    loaders, find one called GAG. GAG is a great, low end boot loader
    thats very easy to configure, if youve never configured a boot loader
    before.

    Good Luck
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I'll speculate that because the Presario 5330 is a consumer system, rather than
    a business system, somebody somewhere in the halls of HPaq decided not to
    implement the BIOS boot options found in higher grade systems. So using a boot
    device on a 3rd party ATA133 card simply may not be possible... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:02:39 -0500, Brian <usenetposting@meadows.pair.com>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>boot.ini file and if it says mulit 0 disk 0 blah blah bla, try
    >>changing it to mulit 3 disk 3
    >>
    >>or what ever number works.
    >
    >Yes, I know about the boot.ini file. I guess the only way I
    >can try this out is to put a third drive on the MB IDE,
    >build a system on that including the ATA/133 drivers, make a
    >bootable CD from there, then remove the third drive and try
    >booting from the CD. I'll give it a whirl and see what
    >happens - back in a day or so with the answer. I might also
    >try the card in another (non-Compaq!) PC and see whether I
    >get the same sort of problems.
    >
    >Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    >Brian.
    >
    >--
    >NOTE
    >Replies to the e-mail address used to post this
    >message will bounce. Replace 'usenetposting'
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:20:03 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >I'll speculate that because the Presario 5330 is a consumer system, rather than
    >a business system, somebody somewhere in the halls of HPaq decided not to
    >implement the BIOS boot options found in higher grade systems. So using a boot
    >device on a 3rd party ATA133 card simply may not be possible... Ben Myers

    That's certainly a possibility. This is a second hand
    system, I got no documentation whatsoever with it, and such
    documentation as I can download from Compaq is silent on the
    matter.

    If that's the case, I guess the only option will be to have
    the boot drive on the MB controller, and try to do as much
    as possible from the drives on the ATA/133.

    I like the HPaq name, although those who've been where I
    have in the computer industry might want to get DEC in there
    someplace too...

    Brian.

Compaq Presario Computers