Thermal ADHEASIVE??????

MotherBitches

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I don't feel like spending $15 for a tube of Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive to mount a 50x50mm heatsink to the northbridge of my motherboard....

so are there any alternatives that i can use from home that i can make myself??? like crazy glue mixed with umm....i don't know cheap $2 adheasive paste???
i don't care if it is permanent....i just want it to be CHEAP, GOOD and RELIABLE!!!

I'm looking for adheasive not paste, because my mobo doesn't have any holes for screws/fasteners for a northbridge heat sink....so i'll just have to glue it on permanently.

thanks for any suggestions.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MotherBitches on 08/07/02 01:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your getting raped if the store is charging 15 for that, you could use some glue and heat goop, maybe 30% glue and 70% goop?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hell, super glue conducts heat good enough. I used superglue on my voodoo 3 for a year and got some sweet clocks out of it after installing a fan! lol I've used super glue on chipsets before too but why not use thermal tape or just double sided tape? thiner the better. almost anything goes unless you want good heat conduction. in that case pay the 15 bucks you cheap ass! lol jk

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

MotherBitches

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Hahaha that's funny....

well, I am a cheap ass considering I pay $25,000 a year for college tuition, I pay for my own apartment, my own food, personal expenses, etc.....all this on a low part-time federal work-study job.
So $15, for me, is like being rich....that means I can eat for another month.....
sorry, but I just ain't rich like you.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
lol, ME rich? I wish! dude if you want something that will cool down your chipset well you have to pay some money. nothing is free in this world (except via kazaa and imesh) I ment no offense I was just making a point, but I have a money saving idea for you, www.pricewatch.com, you could save 5 bucks but you would have to wait a week for delivery. thats the best i got. but superglue works, unless you want something better and if you do you have to realize that you'll need to spend some cash. :)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

jjan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
A little off topic, but noteworthy

Nothing is free! Especially Kazaa!

KaZaA comes bundled with no fewer than six associated applications. There's New.net, which enables browsers to "see" unofficial domain names such as .kids, .family and .shop; Webhancer, which tracks your surfing habits; Cydoor,OnFlow and EZula -- that serve advertisements varying in frequency, form and annoyance.

Additionally, when you installed Kazaa, Brilliant Digital also installed its sofware. Once activated, the software would set up a distributed computing network, allowing Brilliant to hijack the resources of your personal computer to resell to its clients.

Nothing is Free!

BTW - Uninstalling Kazaa will not remove all these programs.
Also BTW - You agreed to have them do this when you clicked "Accept" to the Terms and Conditions

I once thought I had made a mistake and that I was wrong; I was wrong, I was Right!!

G

can't all these things be removed from the add remove software menu in windows?

G

the person I heard it from said that the JBWeld works as good as the arctic silver adhesive stuff as far as any one would be able to tell, so it should work very well. I don't remember how much it costs, but at least there are other uses for what is left over.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
there are certain programs wich cure the problems you mention, Ironicaly they can be found on kaza

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
lol, I got som jb wield but I dont think it will do as thermal adhesive, we should get a website to do an official review of household products as thermal pastes and adhesives. I have seen several but they take a very sarcastic approach and at the end say that arctic silver is the only way to fly.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Try the <A HREF="http://www.kazaalite.com" target="_new">Kazaa lite version.</A>
It is suppose to be spyware and additional software free, I use it and have had no trouble whatsoever.

:wink:

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">http://forums.btvillarin.com/</A> "CLICK"

jjan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
To the best of my knowledge, No. There are anti-spyware programs that have a removal procedure built in. The one that I use is Ad-aware.
http://www.lavasoft.nu

I once thought I had made a mistake and that I was wrong; I was wrong, I was Right!!

G

It seems like it gets brought up in these forums all the time...can I use batblood mixed with eye of newt to make a heatsink adhesive? It would be nice to know of reasonably priced household alternatives, or better yet at least know how well all these witches brew concoctions work.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
some one should go for it. tomshardware has never been the kind of site to do something like that, unfortunatly. They seem to not be that great at reviews, afraid to put their opinions out there. and anyway when they do, their opinions generaly suck. lol maybe thats why they dont. still I dont believe thatthere is a household product that can compete with micronized silver, I dont know about "eye of knewt" but hell its better than peanut butter! though it would smell realy good as your processor burnt up.