Problem sending Faxes

Up until recently I've always been able to send faxes. I have not changed my
setup at all.

When I send faxes by a) sending documents to the fax printer or b) sending a
WORD document to the fax printer the Fax Wizard comes up with an Error
Message-"Fax Server cannont be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will close"

Also tried sending faxes by opening the Fax Console. When I do this the Fax
Console refreshes and eventually gives a message "The 'Microsoft Shared Fax
Driver' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer
properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do
you wan to install the driver now?"
I have reinstalled the drivers, went into the Device Manager and updated the
drivers for the Fax Modem "Lucent Win Modem" and all the other things that
the HP Support Center tells me.

Does any one have any suggestions for using the Fax Console or fixing a
printer problem of this nature?
(Hope I wasn't confusing but I tried to provide as much information as
possible)

Thanks

What changed just before "up until recently?"
Things don't just happen for no reason.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Up until recently I've always been able to send faxes. I have not changed
> my
> setup at all.
>
> When I send faxes by a) sending documents to the fax printer or b) sending
> WORD document to the fax printer the Fax Wizard comes up with an Error
> Message-"Fax Server cannont be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will close"
>
> Also tried sending faxes by opening the Fax Console. When I do this the
> Fax
> Console refreshes and eventually gives a message "The 'Microsoft Shared
> Fax
> Driver' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer
> properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver.
> Do
> you wan to install the driver now?"
> I have reinstalled the drivers, went into the Device Manager and updated
> the
> drivers for the Fax Modem "Lucent Win Modem" and all the other things that
> the HP Support Center tells me.
>
> Does any one have any suggestions for using the Fax Console or fixing a
> printer problem of this nature?
> (Hope I wasn't confusing but I tried to provide as much information as
> possible)
>
> Thanks

I've had this problem in the past but all I had to do was restart my system
and all would be well. The only changes to my system have been periodic
System updates, installation of new version of McAfee SecurityCenter and
update of Wireless Ethernet Software. I know that these are all possible
situations but it should be an easy fix to reset the fax. I've reinstalled
the fax services and everything.

I hope this makes sense.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> What changed just before "up until recently?"
> Things don't just happen for no reason.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Up until recently I've always been able to send faxes. I have not changed
> > my
> > setup at all.
> >
> > When I send faxes by a) sending documents to the fax printer or b) sending
> > WORD document to the fax printer the Fax Wizard comes up with an Error
> > Message-"Fax Server cannont be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will close"
> >
> > Also tried sending faxes by opening the Fax Console. When I do this the
> > Fax
> > Console refreshes and eventually gives a message "The 'Microsoft Shared
> > Fax
> > Driver' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer
> > properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver.
> > Do
> > you wan to install the driver now?"
> > I have reinstalled the drivers, went into the Device Manager and updated
> > the
> > drivers for the Fax Modem "Lucent Win Modem" and all the other things that
> > the HP Support Center tells me.
> >
> > Does any one have any suggestions for using the Fax Console or fixing a
> > printer problem of this nature?
> > (Hope I wasn't confusing but I tried to provide as much information as
> > possible)
> >
> > Thanks

Did one of these system updates include the installation of Windows XP SP2?
--
> I've had this problem in the past but all I had to do was restart my
> system
> and all would be well. The only changes to my system have been periodic
> System updates, installation of new version of McAfee SecurityCenter and
> update of Wireless Ethernet Software. I know that these are all possible
> situations but it should be an easy fix to reset the fax. I've
> reinstalled
> the fax services and everything.
>
> I hope this makes sense.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> What changed just before "up until recently?"
>> Things don't just happen for no reason.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Up until recently I've always been able to send faxes. I have not
>> > changed
>> > my
>> > setup at all.
>> >
>> > When I send faxes by a) sending documents to the fax printer or b)
>> > sending
>> > WORD document to the fax printer the Fax Wizard comes up with an Error
>> > Message-"Fax Server cannont be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will close"
>> >
>> > Also tried sending faxes by opening the Fax Console. When I do this the
>> > Fax
>> > Console refreshes and eventually gives a message "The 'Microsoft Shared
>> > Fax
>> > Driver' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer
>> > properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer
>> > driver.
>> > Do
>> > you wan to install the driver now?"
>> > I have reinstalled the drivers, went into the Device Manager and
>> > updated
>> > the
>> > drivers for the Fax Modem "Lucent Win Modem" and all the other things
>> > that
>> > the HP Support Center tells me.
>> >
>> > Does any one have any suggestions for using the Fax Console or fixing a
>> > printer problem of this nature?
>> > (Hope I wasn't confusing but I tried to provide as much information as
>> > possible)
>> >
>> > Thanks

Honestly I'm not sure.

Is there a way to check version numbers or something?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Did one of these system updates include the installation of Windows XP SP2?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've had this problem in the past but all I had to do was restart my
> > system
> > and all would be well. The only changes to my system have been periodic
> > System updates, installation of new version of McAfee SecurityCenter and
> > update of Wireless Ethernet Software. I know that these are all possible
> > situations but it should be an easy fix to reset the fax. I've
> > reinstalled
> > the fax services and everything.
> >
> > I hope this makes sense.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> What changed just before "up until recently?"
> >> Things don't just happen for no reason.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yes, but that won't answer the question. I need to know whether your
installing SP2 caused the problem.
It was not just a routine update. You would remember if you installed it.
A R click of My Computer > Properties will return your OS version.
--
> Honestly I'm not sure.
>
> Is there a way to check version numbers or something?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Did one of these system updates include the installation of Windows XP
>> SP2?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've had this problem in the past but all I had to do was restart my
>> > system
>> > and all would be well. The only changes to my system have been
>> > periodic
>> > System updates, installation of new version of McAfee SecurityCenter
>> > and
>> > update of Wireless Ethernet Software. I know that these are all
>> > possible
>> > situations but it should be an easy fix to reset the fax. I've
>> > reinstalled
>> > the fax services and everything.
>> >
>> > I hope this makes sense.

Yes, I have installed XP Service Pack 2. My version is Home Edition Version
2002 Service Pack 2

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Yes, but that won't answer the question. I need to know whether your
> installing SP2 caused the problem.
> It was not just a routine update. You would remember if you installed it.
> A R click of My Computer > Properties will return your OS version.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Honestly I'm not sure.
> >
> > Is there a way to check version numbers or something?
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Did one of these system updates include the installation of Windows XP
> >> SP2?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

OK. We're getting warmer.
Did you expressly install this update or was it pre-installed with your
computer?
If the former, did the fax service work correctly before the upgrade?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Berryville wrote:
> Yes, I have installed XP Service Pack 2. My version is Home Edition Version
> 2002 Service Pack 2
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>Yes, but that won't answer the question. I need to know whether your
>>installing SP2 caused the problem.
>>It was not just a routine update. You would remember if you installed it.
>>A R click of My Computer > Properties will return your OS version.
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>"Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Honestly I'm not sure.
>>>
>>>Is there a way to check version numbers or something?

I don't recall. Honestly, when Window's update automatically periodically, I
can't say if this was an update that was made at that time or a
pre-installed. This computer is over 3 years old so that may give you a
little idea of what was pre-installed. Sorry I can't be more descriptive on
that but the fax service upto a couple of weeks ago. Windows updates are
available all the time.

Sorry :(

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> OK. We're getting warmer.
> Did you expressly install this update or was it pre-installed with your
> computer?
> If the former, did the fax service work correctly before the upgrade?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> Berryville wrote:
> > Yes, I have installed XP Service Pack 2. My version is Home Edition Version
> > 2002 Service Pack 2
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >

> >>Yes, but that won't answer the question. I need to know whether your
> >>installing SP2 caused the problem.
> >>It was not just a routine update. You would remember if you installed it.
> >>A R click of My Computer > Properties will return your OS version.
> >>--
> >>Russ Valentine
> >>[MVP-Outlook]
> >>"Berryville" <Berryville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Can you at least tell me if your fax service ever worked correctly?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Berryville wrote:
> I don't recall. Honestly, when Window's update automatically periodically, I
> can't say if this was an update that was made at that time or a
> pre-installed. This computer is over 3 years old so that may give you a
> little idea of what was pre-installed. Sorry I can't be more descriptive on
> that but the fax service upto a couple of weeks ago. Windows updates are
> available all the time.
>
> Sorry :(
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>OK. We're getting warmer.
>>Did you expressly install this update or was it pre-installed with your
>>computer?
>>If the former, did the fax service work correctly before the upgrade?
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>
>>Berryville wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I have installed XP Service Pack 2. My version is Home Edition Version
>>>2002 Service Pack 2

Yes, from day one it work properly. A few times, It wouldn't send and I'd
restart the computer and all is well. This was the first time that Fax
Console gave me the error message that "All Fax Printers are inaccessible".

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> Can you at least tell me if your fax service ever worked correctly?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> Berryville wrote:
> > I don't recall. Honestly, when Window's update automatically periodically, I
> > can't say if this was an update that was made at that time or a
> > pre-installed. This computer is over 3 years old so that may give you a
> > little idea of what was pre-installed. Sorry I can't be more descriptive on
> > that but the fax service upto a couple of weeks ago. Windows updates are
> > available all the time.
> >
> > Sorry :(
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
> >

> >>OK. We're getting warmer.
> >>Did you expressly install this update or was it pre-installed with your
> >>computer?
> >>If the former, did the fax service work correctly before the upgrade?
> >>--
> >>Russ Valentine
> >>[MVP-Outlook]

Many people report this problem
Microsoft has no clue. Like you, no one seems to be able to provide the
exact steps to reproduce the problem.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Berryville wrote:
> Yes, from day one it work properly. A few times, It wouldn't send and I'd
> restart the computer and all is well. This was the first time that Fax
> Console gave me the error message that "All Fax Printers are inaccessible".
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>Can you at least tell me if your fax service ever worked correctly?
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>
>>Berryville wrote:
>>
>>>I don't recall. Honestly, when Window's update automatically periodically, I
>>>can't say if this was an update that was made at that time or a
>>>pre-installed. This computer is over 3 years old so that may give you a
>>>little idea of what was pre-installed. Sorry I can't be more descriptive on
>>>that but the fax service upto a couple of weeks ago. Windows updates are
>>>available all the time.
>>>
>>>Sorry :(

Do you know if there is a way to setup an alternative fax program using the
modem?

I've tested the modem through the diagnostics program and it works so I know
it's a software issue.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to fax using DSL?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for all your help.

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> Many people report this problem
> Microsoft has no clue. Like you, no one seems to be able to provide the
> exact steps to reproduce the problem.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> Berryville wrote:
> > Yes, from day one it work properly. A few times, It wouldn't send and I'd
> > restart the computer and all is well. This was the first time that Fax
> > Console gave me the error message that "All Fax Printers are inaccessible".
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
> >

> >>Can you at least tell me if your fax service ever worked correctly?
> >>--
> >>Russ Valentine
> >>[MVP-Outlook]

As long as your analog modem supports class 1, 2, or 2.0 faxing it should be
compatible with most third party fax software.

No fax software will function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL
connections you can obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a
standard analog voice line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog
fax modem to that line.

If you have no analog modem or phone line, you will need to use a fee based
Internet Fax Service. Several are listed here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/