  • GPS
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
April 3, 2005 8:26:14 PM

What I want is a tri-mode PDA with accesible GPS.
The Kyocera 7135 has the guts but the GPS is not available,
and the thing locks up more often than any Windows.

Tri-Mode (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW), PDA, working GPS, stable
software - now is that too much to ask???

A decent camera and Bluetooth are optional.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

More about : vzw

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:53:35 PM

It is alleged that Chuck Forsberg claimed:

; What I want is a tri-mode PDA with accesible GPS.
; The Kyocera 7135 has the guts but the GPS is not available,
; and the thing locks up more often than any Windows.

I have occasional lockups with my 7135, but they're rare enough that it
doesn't bother me all that much. If yours is crashing left and right,
you have a software conflict of some kind. My first guess, based on my
own experience is that you are probably overclocking the thing. This
device does not like overclocking. The best you can do to speed it up
is to install Cruise Control from Blue Nomad (the BackupBuddy people).
CC is freeware.

There may be other software conflicts. Without knowing what you have
installed, there is no way to know. And to be honest, I don't want to
know what you have installed. But you may want to contact Kyocera
support. http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135-smartphone/

; Tri-Mode (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW), PDA, working GPS, stable
; software - now is that too much to ask???

You cannot blame VZW for any of this, they are not the developer or
manufacturer. Nor can you blame Kyocera, they are not delivering a
product full of software. They have no control over the software you
install on your device. But Kyocera should be able to help you figure
it out.

; A decent camera and Bluetooth are optional.

I want neither of those.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I think you've got something to prove, that somehow maybe taking this
job, will mean the last five years didn't happen, but I'm part of those
years, Michael, and I will not go to Babylon 5 with you. It's got to be
one or the other." (Lise Hampton to Mr. Garibaldi (in the past), B5
"Babylon Squared")
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:53:36 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> I have occasional lockups with my 7135, but they're rare
> enough that it doesn't bother me all that much. If yours
> is crashing left and right, you have a software conflict
> of some kind. My first guess, based on my own experience
> is that you are probably overclocking the thing. This
> device does not like overclocking. The best you can do
> to speed it up is to install Cruise Control from Blue
> Nomad (the BackupBuddy people). CC is freeware.

Oooh, I haven't tried/heard of this one. I do run QuickBits(?)
and Afterburner (at a conservative 42 and only on a very
few selected apps). Can you maybe compare/contrast if
you tried either/both of the above? BlueNomad does good
stuff.

> There may be other software conflicts. Without knowing
> what you have installed, there is no way to know. And to
> be honest, I don't want to know what you have installed.
> But you may want to contact Kyocera support.
> http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135-smartphone/

It's even worse than that. There can be conflicts caused
by the mix of software in it's entirety and not simply because
of a single "badly behaved" app or the interaction between
2 specific apps. Sometimes it even makes a difference due
to the order of installation... (all the above mostly applies to
bugs or less than iron clad developed apps). Of course
people complain vehemently when their ability to customize
with 3rd party apps is restricted...

-Quick
April 6, 2005 1:38:12 AM

It is alleged that Quick claimed:

;
; Oooh, I haven't tried/heard of this one. I do run QuickBits(?)
; and Afterburner (at a conservative 42 and only on a very
; few selected apps). Can you maybe compare/contrast if
; you tried either/both of the above? BlueNomad does good
; stuff.

I never heard of QuickBits. Who makes it?

Cruise Control is actually an old application from before the company
name change to Blue Nomad. It does one thing: It removes the "wait
state" pauses.

The reason why overclocking apps cause problems with some devices and
not others is because not all processors are equal, even within the
same model and rating. The ones Kyocera uses in the 7135 are towards
the bottom of the ratings. They're perfectly good as-is, they simply
become unstable when overclocked. Some may handle a little
overclocking where others can't handle any. Mine could handle maybe a
4MHtz boost, which is insufficient to make it worth the bother. As
opposed to my last Clie, a T615, officially rated as a 33MHtz
processor, which I could safely boost to 44. I only had to disable the
overclocking when I wanted to beam something, and keep the "Hotsynch"
app at normal speeds. :)

; It's even worse than that. There can be conflicts caused
; by the mix of software in it's entirety and not simply because
; of a single "badly behaved" app or the interaction between
; 2 specific apps. Sometimes it even makes a difference due
; to the order of installation... (all the above mostly applies to

True, and then add hacks to the mix. More due to my desire to leave as
much space free as possible rather than any stability issues, I've
paired my use of hacks down to three. I used to have about a dozen, so
I removed things I wasn't actually using.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I have looked into the darkness, Na'Toth. You cannot do that and ever
be quite the same again." (Amb. G'Kar, B5 "Revelations")
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:08:39 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> I never heard of QuickBits. Who makes it?

www.2bitsoftware.com

not an overclocker.

> True, and then add hacks to the mix. More due to my
> desire to leave as much space free as possible rather
> than any stability issues, I've paired my use of hacks
> down to three. I used to have about a dozen, so I
> removed things I wasn't actually using.

Have to disagree with you here. I think of hacks this
way. *Exactly* like any other app/software except that
they are invoked in response to a software "trigger"
instead of GUI input.

-Quick
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:23:51 PM

It is alleged that Quick claimed:

; > I never heard of QuickBits. Who makes it?
; www.2bitsoftware.com

Thank you.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"So what do we do? Keep him locked up forever?" "I can get by on
that." (Dr. Franklin and Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Ship Of Tears")
!