Setting up a minecraft server?

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
so i want to make a server just for me and my in town friends just to have fun . since i dont want to go public i dont need to port foward right? and my comp specs are:
8 gig ram
3.3 ghz cpu
6870 vid card

is my comp enough? and after reading this subject on minecraft wiki is it safe , like can i close my server when i want to so no one griefs it or it takes up unnecessary memory on my comp? all help appreciated thanks :)

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Firstly, hosting a Minecraft server is more dependent on your internet speed than your specs. A $300 PC with an amazing connection would be much better at hosting a server than a $10000 PC with a terrible upload speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Go there and tell us what your results were.

Your PC itself is powerful enough for a server, but it all depends on how fast your internet is. My internet connection is poor, so I can only handle about 3 people on my server at a time despite my computer's specs.

Alright,
Regarding your port forwarding question, you must port forward even if its a private server. You also have the option of using Hamachi, but I would recommend going with port forwarding. It doesn't take long.

EDIT: Yes it is safe, especially if its just you and a few friends.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

download speed : 0.39 mbps; upload: 0.93

it sounds awful to me but ill let you judge

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

ok re-did test and got 2.88 download

over here in the UK, I was able to rent a server for about £6/month + mumble thrown in 3 months at a time. The lack of hassle was worth it. You can always whitelist the server, i.e. only named people can come in.

that was with multiplay (also do US), there are others.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
been hosting a server for just myself and my two brothers for 2 weeks now and they get good connections, my connection is 30d/1u - mbps. Upload is what limits my connection right now, it i was to get 50+ people connected at a time i would see a big slow down.

you should be fine with 10 or less people at a time.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

not sure if i wanna do some dedicated server since i want to play with friends only i may do it in the future but not now

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
A dedicated server is still better, even if it's just you and your friends. They are much faster, and online all the time. Multiplay uses SSD's in its servers for the record, so it's quite fast.

i've got 30mbit down and 1.5mbit up, having 4 people on a hosted minecraft server ruined any gaming that I was doing, might not apply to you if you are the only person using in your house.

for the cost of £1/month each, its really worth it

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

I would be hard pressed to think minecraft could max out upload bandwidth with 4 people connected, i used to host a WoW server for fun and could host upwards of 100+ with no slow down on a 1mbps upload.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
uploading for me i get about 130KBps max, so uploading a video is not too painful but it is still very slow, im just waiting for bell in my area to expand their fiber network from downtown so i can get that, currently they are supporting 175/175mbps with 300gb of bandwidth for residential, im just like 4 blocks too far to get it :( now that would be a good line for hosting a minecraft server

it was through hamachi and just stopped me playing bf3 nicely whilst my son was on minecraft

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
well now that i think about it, that could hinder the speed more so than WoW since you modify the world on the fly on each individual PC and it has to send that change back to the server, where WoW is slight change generic information for the character alone since everything is client side and there is no real change to environment.

rmockett7

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

So i know this is quite late but it could matter to some people, or even you if you are still doing this for your son and the fact is, is that hamachi is known to be a cpu killer, pretty much it has high cpu usage so that could of been affecting your bf3 gameplay. But if this was seperate computers then it could of possibly been the reason why