Sharing Printer

Hello,

I have shared a printer from my Windows XP Pro computer. I am trying to
connect to the shared printer from a Windows 98 computer. When I try to
connect, I get a message that says:

You must supply a password to make this connection:
Resourse: \\computername\IPC$

Why does this message come up? How can I connect the Win98 box to the
shared printer on the XP Prox box?
--
Thanks,

TLF

Add the User and Password of the 98 PC to be a User on the XP PC...
or
Enable Simple File Sharing
or
Enable the Guest Account.

This is not a printing issue, it's a networking one.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"tlf" <tlf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have shared a printer from my Windows XP Pro computer. I am trying to
> connect to the shared printer from a Windows 98 computer. When I try to
> connect, I get a message that says:
>
> You must supply a password to make this connection:
> Resourse: \\computername\IPC$
>
> Why does this message come up? How can I connect the Win98 box to the
> shared printer on the XP Prox box?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> TLF

I have a problem connecting to W98 controlled printer - What is involved in
connecting new Windows XP Pro PC’s to a Windows 98 controlled HP DeskJet 500
printer in addition to current default HP LaserJet 6L PCL printer?

I may have hit driver compatibility problems.

There are some ‘old(er)’ Windows 98 PC’s in the office which connect to the
subject Windows 98 controlled HP DeskJet 500 printer perfectly OK.

"tlf" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have shared a printer from my Windows XP Pro computer. I am trying to
> connect to the shared printer from a Windows 98 computer. When I try to
> connect, I get a message that says:
>
> You must supply a password to make this connection:
> Resourse: \\computername\IPC$
>
> Why does this message come up? How can I connect the Win98 box to the
> shared printer on the XP Prox box?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> TLF

I have the reverse problem - ? What is involved in connecting new Windows