Will lowering the default voltage hurt my system?

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I recently built a system using the athlon xp palamino 1700. I downloaded the wrong spec sheet for it off amd.com and gotten the specs for the thoroughbred 1700. Anyway, stupidly I set the voltage to the default voltage of a thoroughbred 1700(1.5V). I ran it for a couple hours like that and it seemed fine. Then I realized that I dled the wrong spec sheet and quickly went to set the voltage at 1.75. I know that setting the voltage higher can hurt the cpu, but does lowering it hurt it too? It seemed to run stablely at 1.5 and I would like to set it back down there(its cooler).

Also I have a soltek sl-75drv5. The anti-burn shield is always higher than the temperature on my hardware monitor(usually about a 7 degrees C diff). Is that supposed to happen? If so which temperature reflects the temperature of my cpu?

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Absolutely not. The unpleasant thing is that the CPU might run unstable or even stop working, due to the lower voltage. But there will be no harming side effects. On the opposite, this will probably make it's life longer because of decreasing the core temperature.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I don't know about that, if you aren't feeding enough voltage to your system won't it be more prone to crashes? At least that's what I thought.

Cooj