Cannot delete a port

I have an HP LaserJet 1012 that is assigned to port DOT4_001. I am trying to
delete the port but each time I try, I get the following error message:
"Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is not supported"

I am running WinXP and have full administrative rights. I have also removed
the printer and reinstalled it with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Byte

If you tried to delete the port after deleting and reinstalling the printer,
the
port will not delete for it has been activated. Delete the printer and
disconnect
it, then delete the port for it will no longer be active.
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"xcoach" wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 1012 that is assigned to port DOT4_001. I am trying to
> delete the port but each time I try, I get the following error message:
> "Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is not supported"
>
> I am running WinXP and have full administrative rights. I have also removed
> the printer and reinstalled it with the same results.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

DOT4 and USB ports will get cleaned up by PnP and the system after a few
reboots when the device is no longer used. The spooler can't delete these
ports.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Alan Morris" wrote:
> DOT4 and USB ports will get cleaned up by PnP and the system
> after a few
> reboots when the device is no longer used. The spooler can't
> delete these
> ports.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
>
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If you tried to delete the port after deleting and
> reinstalling the
> printer,
> > the
> > port will not delete for it has been activated. Delete the
> printer and
> > disconnect
> > it, then delete the port for it will no longer be active.
> > --
> > Today is the first day of the rest of
> > your life.
> >

> > "xcoach" wrote:
> >
>  > > I have an HP LaserJet 1012 that is assigned to port
> DOT4_001. I am
> trying to
>  > > delete the port but each time I try, I get the
> following error message:
>  > > "Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is
> not supported"
>  > >
>  > > I am running WinXP and have full administrative
> rights. I have also
> removed
>  > > the printer and reinstalled it with the same
> results.
>  > >
>  > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a similar problem with a usb officejet printer.

The problem is is that the PnP does not de-activate or delete the
port. After the printer is removed, the port binds up the printing
system and the system reports a hardware device simply called
"printer" is connected at every new windows session, taking forever
to eventually finish looking for drivers.

Is there any way to force remove a printer port? All of the old
printer’s drivers/software have been removed.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-delete-port-ftopict374488.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1227256

Byte

I would not recommend removing/deleting ports. You can disable the ports
in the Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager>Ports
Rightclick the port and click the Disable button.
--
Windows Beta Tester and
Programmer WNP

"mattdev121" wrote:

> "Alan Morris" wrote:
> > DOT4 and USB ports will get cleaned up by PnP and the system
> > after a few
> > reboots when the device is no longer used. The spooler can't
> > delete these
> > ports.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
> >
> > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > If you tried to delete the port after deleting and
> > reinstalling the
> > printer,
> > > the
> > > port will not delete for it has been activated. Delete the
> > printer and
> > > disconnect
> > > it, then delete the port for it will no longer be active.
> > > --
> > > Today is the first day of the rest of
> > > your life.

> > DOT4_001. I am
> > trying to
> > following error message:
> > not supported"

> > rights. I have also
> > removed
> > results.

> I have a similar problem with a usb officejet printer.
>
> The problem is is that the PnP does not de-activate or delete the
> port. After the printer is removed, the port binds up the printing
> system and the system reports a hardware device simply called
> "printer" is connected at every new windows session, taking forever
> to eventually finish looking for drivers.
>
> Is there any way to force remove a printer port? All of the old
> printer’s drivers/software have been removed.

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-delete-port-ftopict374488.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1227256

Hallo Alan,

the portnames are delivered by portmonitors like localspl.dll. At startup
the spooler asks each portmonitor
to list the port which it supports. Normaly they match the physical ports,
but not necessary.
Take a look at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors
Perhaps you will find an HP-Entry,which was not correctly deleted when
installing the printer.

Dieter (dieter.riekert@lvbprint.de)

"mattdev121" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Alan Morris" wrote:
> > DOT4 and USB ports will get cleaned up by PnP and the system
> > after a few
> > reboots when the device is no longer used. The spooler can't
> > delete these
> > ports.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
> >
> > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > If you tried to delete the port after deleting and
> > reinstalling the
> > printer,
> > > the
> > > port will not delete for it has been activated. Delete the
> > printer and
> > > disconnect
> > > it, then delete the port for it will no longer be active.
> > > --
> > > Today is the first day of the rest of
> > > your life.
> > >

> > > "xcoach" wrote:
> > >
> >  > > I have an HP LaserJet 1012 that is assigned to port
> > DOT4_001. I am
> > trying to
> >  > > delete the port but each time I try, I get the
> > following error message:
> >  > > "Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is
> > not supported"
> >  > >
> >  > > I am running WinXP and have full administrative
> > rights. I have also
> > removed
> >  > > the printer and reinstalled it with the same
> > results.
> >  > >
> >  > > Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I have a similar problem with a usb officejet printer.
>
> The problem is is that the PnP does not de-activate or delete the
> port. After the printer is removed, the port binds up the printing
> system and the system reports a hardware device simply called
> "printer" is connected at every new windows session, taking forever
> to eventually finish looking for drivers.
>
> Is there any way to force remove a printer port? All of the old
> printer's drivers/software have been removed.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-delete-port-ftopict374488.html

agsamek

First remove hidden port devices using this tip: Removing unused device drivers from Windows XP machines . Then restart the computer.

Quote from: Removing unused device drivers from Windows XP machines :

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

---
Atinea - IT services