Win Server 2003 Shared Fax Server-Client, Fax server infor..

May 20, 2005 1:56:35 AM

Windows Server 2003 Standard - Fax Services & XP Home/Pro clients

I installed the Fax Services and shared the Fax on the Win2K3 Server. I
was able to see it and install it on the WinXP Home PC. The only time I
saw an error was when I was accessing the Send Fax Wizard on the WinXP
Home Fax Client PC. As soon as I clicked off the "Welcome to Send Fax
Wizard" intro page I got the message:

"Send Fax Wizard", "Fax server information can not be retrieved"

The Local Fax (Modem) works fine on the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs and the
Windows Server 2003 PC

The problem is the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs can not send a fax to the
shared fax on the Windows Server 2003 PC.

I noticed that on XP Home/Pro PCs in the Fax Console there is a red "X"
in the middle of the status bar at the bottom. When I double click on
it. A "Fax and Printer Status" window pops up. next to "Fax" the
message "Communication error" is displayed.

Any Ideas?

Note:
The Windows Server 2003 is on a Domain Controler, "DC001". The other 5
Windows XP Home/Pro computers are not on that domain. They are on a
local workgroup, "WG001" in the same office. All computers can see each
others shared folders and access them. One WG001 PC is a Windows XP Home
the other 4 are Windows XP Pro.

From all the WG001 computers, I can see, install and print to the
shared printer on DC001, the Windows Server 2003 PC.

Thanks for your help.

RansomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:55:59 AM

Hi,

Windows XP has some limitations regarding shared faxes.
For example it is not possible to share the Windows XP Fax without 3rd party
tools.

Check also http://www.aloaha.com/wi-software-en/aloaha-fax-connect...
to learn how to share the XP Fax Service.

Stefan

"Ransom" <Ransom.1parmb@> wrote in message

> Windows Server 2003 Standard - Fax Services & XP Home/Pro clients
>
> I installed the Fax Services and shared the Fax on the Win2K3 Server. I
> was able to see it and install it on the WinXP Home PC. The only time I
> saw an error was when I was accessing the Send Fax Wizard on the WinXP
> Home Fax Client PC. As soon as I clicked off the "Welcome to Send Fax
> Wizard" intro page I got the message:
>
> "Send Fax Wizard", "Fax server information can not be retrieved"
>
> The Local Fax (Modem) works fine on the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs and the
> Windows Server 2003 PC
>
> The problem is the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs can not send a fax to the
> shared fax on the Windows Server 2003 PC.
>
> I noticed that on XP Home/Pro PCs in the Fax Console there is a red "X"
> in the middle of the status bar at the bottom. When I double click on
> it. A "Fax and Printer Status" window pops up. next to "Fax" the
> message "Communication error" is displayed.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Note:
> The Windows Server 2003 is on a Domain Controler, "DC001". The other 5
> Windows XP Home/Pro computers are not on that domain. They are on a
> local workgroup, "WG001" in the same office. All computers can see each
> others shared folders and access them. One WG001 PC is a Windows XP Home
> the other 4 are Windows XP Pro.
>
> From all the WG001 computers, I can see, install and print to the
> shared printer on DC001, the Windows Server 2003 PC.
>
> Thanks for your help.

> RansomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:09:29 PM

Wrong. There are no such limitations with Windows 2003 Server Fax which was
what the original post was asking about.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Stefan Engelbert" <stefan@engelbert.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Windows XP has some limitations regarding shared faxes.
> For example it is not possible to share the Windows XP Fax without 3rd
> party tools.
>
> Check also http://www.aloaha.com/wi-software-en/aloaha-fax-connect...
> to learn how to share the XP Fax Service.
>
> Stefan
>

> "Ransom" <Ransom.1parmb@> wrote in message

>> Windows Server 2003 Standard - Fax Services & XP Home/Pro clients
>>
>> I installed the Fax Services and shared the Fax on the Win2K3 Server. I
>> was able to see it and install it on the WinXP Home PC. The only time I
>> saw an error was when I was accessing the Send Fax Wizard on the WinXP
>> Home Fax Client PC. As soon as I clicked off the "Welcome to Send Fax
>> Wizard" intro page I got the message:
>>
>> "Send Fax Wizard", "Fax server information can not be retrieved"
>>
>> The Local Fax (Modem) works fine on the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs and the
>> Windows Server 2003 PC
>>
>> The problem is the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs can not send a fax to the
>> shared fax on the Windows Server 2003 PC.
>>
>> I noticed that on XP Home/Pro PCs in the Fax Console there is a red "X"
>> in the middle of the status bar at the bottom. When I double click on
>> it. A "Fax and Printer Status" window pops up. next to "Fax" the
>> message "Communication error" is displayed.
>>
>> Any Ideas?
>>
>> Note:
>> The Windows Server 2003 is on a Domain Controler, "DC001". The other 5
>> Windows XP Home/Pro computers are not on that domain. They are on a
>> local workgroup, "WG001" in the same office. All computers can see each
>> others shared folders and access them. One WG001 PC is a Windows XP Home
>> the other 4 are Windows XP Pro.
>>
>> From all the WG001 computers, I can see, install and print to the
>> shared printer on DC001, the Windows Server 2003 PC.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

>> --
>> RansomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

July 11, 2005 3:13:04 PM

Okay, so I'm having a similar problem as described in the original post. If
there are no limitations, how worky?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Wrong. There are no such limitations with Windows 2003 Server Fax which was
> what the original post was asking about.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Stefan Engelbert" <stefan@engelbert.de> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Windows XP has some limitations regarding shared faxes.
> > For example it is not possible to share the Windows XP Fax without 3rd
> > party tools.
> >
> > Check also http://www.aloaha.com/wi-software-en/aloaha-fax-connect...
> > to learn how to share the XP Fax Service.
> >
> > Stefan
> >

> > "Ransom" <Ransom.1parmb@> wrote in message
> >>
> >> **************************************************
> >> Windows Server 2003 Standard - Fax Services & XP Home/Pro clients
> >>
> >> I installed the Fax Services and shared the Fax on the Win2K3 Server. I
> >> was able to see it and install it on the WinXP Home PC. The only time I
> >> saw an error was when I was accessing the Send Fax Wizard on the WinXP
> >> Home Fax Client PC. As soon as I clicked off the "Welcome to Send Fax
> >> Wizard" intro page I got the message:
> >>
> >> "Send Fax Wizard", "Fax server information can not be retrieved"
> >>
> >> The Local Fax (Modem) works fine on the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs and the
> >> Windows Server 2003 PC
> >>
> >> The problem is the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs can not send a fax to the
> >> shared fax on the Windows Server 2003 PC.
> >>
> >> I noticed that on XP Home/Pro PCs in the Fax Console there is a red "X"
> >> in the middle of the status bar at the bottom. When I double click on
> >> it. A "Fax and Printer Status" window pops up. next to "Fax" the
> >> message "Communication error" is displayed.
> >>
> >> Any Ideas?
> >>
> >> Note:
> >> The Windows Server 2003 is on a Domain Controler, "DC001". The other 5
> >> Windows XP Home/Pro computers are not on that domain. They are on a
> >> local workgroup, "WG001" in the same office. All computers can see each
> >> others shared folders and access them. One WG001 PC is a Windows XP Home
> >> the other 4 are Windows XP Pro.
> >>
> >> From all the WG001 computers, I can see, install and print to the
> >> shared printer on DC001, the Windows Server 2003 PC.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help.

> >> --
> >> RansomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:43:58 PM

No idea. I've never had a chance to use Windows 2003 Server Fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

!