Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Hi,

I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro
SP2 workstations.

Problem:

If I try to add a new printer as a normal user I get the following error
(unless the driver has been installed previously):

"A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from
connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator"

If the user is put into the "Power Users" group - everything works well.
I don't want to do that, as ordinary users shouldn't have the other
elevated rights that comes with the "Power User" status.

What am I doing wrong?

Setup:

Print server: Clustered on two member servers in same domain as clients
Clients: Run Windows XP SP2

GPO Settings:
Load and unload device drivers
Everyone, Users, NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers
Disabled

Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior
Silently succeed (none of the drivers are signed)

Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers
Disabled (shouldn't be necessary - none of the drivers are NT drivers)

Point and Print Restrictions
Disabled

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Providers\
LanManPrintServices\Servers\AddPrinterDrivers is set to REG_DWORD 0.

Regards
Regnar

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Regnar Bang Lyngsø" <regnar@writeme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro SP2
> workstations.
>
> Problem:
>
> If I try to add a new printer as a normal user I get the following error
> (unless the driver has been installed previously):
>
> "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting
> to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator"
>
> If the user is put into the "Power Users" group - everything works well. I
> don't want to do that, as ordinary users shouldn't have the other elevated
> rights that comes with the "Power User" status.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Setup:
>
> Print server: Clustered on two member servers in same domain as clients
> Clients: Run Windows XP SP2
>
> GPO Settings:
> Load and unload device drivers
> Everyone, Users, NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>
> Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers
> Disabled
>
> Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior
> Silently succeed (none of the drivers are signed)
>
> Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers
> Disabled (shouldn't be necessary - none of the drivers are NT drivers)
>
> Point and Print Restrictions
> Disabled
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Providers\
> LanManPrintServices\Servers\AddPrinterDrivers is set to REG_DWORD 0.
>
> Regards
> Regnar

See Bruce Sanderson's article at:

Regnar Bang Lyngsø wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro
> SP2 workstations.

If anybody should run into this problem.

I (or rather we - if I should be fair to my colleagues) have found the
solution. The problems has nothing to do with a GPO (Group Policy).
Actually we had to change some settings on the Windows 2003 (2k3)
Cluster. Apparently Kerberos is needed to gain access to the Print$
share on the virtual server:

1. Open Cluster Administrator
2. Choose the cluster running your virtual print server.
3. In the Groups folder - choose the group owning the print service.
4. Take the print service offline
5. Choose the Name resource.
6. Right click and choose Properties.
7. Go the "Parameters" tab.
8. Check the box "Enable Kerberos Authentication"
9. Take the service back online.

Regards
Regnar