Bf3 problems

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
hi
so basically i'v been encountering several problems that sometime happen on bf3:
1.fps drop-i used to have a good 45-60 fps in all maps and now i get avg 30 and sometimes even 20-.
2. minimizing- whenever i minimize (ctrl+alt+esc.) it goes to black screen for a few seconds, and it's either close the game, make my pc VERY slow, or both -_-.
3.small stutter from times to times
again, as i said before this problems happen SOMETIMES but it's still very frustrating
anyway, here are my specs:
FX-4100 (which looked AWESOME on paper, but for some reason it isn't, why?)
radeon 1GB 6850
4GB RAM
550w PSU
also i noticed my PC's very hot (just by touching, not CPU-Z check). i use the stock cooler and i never OC. does that has to do something with anything?
also what is the dangers of OC'ing?
thank you!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

your fps drops can be attributed to your cpu. so can the sluggishness you talk about. even my cpu at 4.5 ghz shows a range of 55-70% cpu usage during games. you have a cpu with have the threads that are also slower.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
^ Yep, exactly what I would tell you lol. One more thing I CONSTANTLY hear these problems with the FX cpus, sure they look good on paper, maybe even better than Intel on paper, but they just aren't! They're really bad from what I've heard and I wish I could tell you why, but they just are no where near how they look on specs. I dont get why people get the FX over a Phenom (if you must have an AMD cpu).

check your temps properly by using speed fan, real temp and hwmonitor...
putting your finger on something isnt accurate and theres a chance you can dislodge or short something by doing it.

yes your cpu is pants. looks good on paper but no1 has written any software that takes advantage of its very specific needs. the fact is its a poor design from the off.
even overclocking the cpu , it will hardly match a 5 year old dual core on single threaded apps because of the design flaws.
really if you got the advice of buy intel and you ignored it. then theres little any 1 can tell you that you dont already know...
bttw dont overclock on stock cooling there not built for it...

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
so basically i'v bought a bad CPU with awesome specs that no one knows how to make it ne what it says it is?
why?
when i asked for an amd cpu recommendation people said that the fx and the phenom are pretty much the same, but i went with the fx 'cause of it's features.
so now what, i have to buy a new cpu AGAIN? know one in this forum knows how to make it great as it should be?
beside, whenever i minimize the game and my machine goes slow i check my cpu usage and it's on 10%. can anyone tell me why?
also this CPU got nice reviews so there;s gotta be a way to make it good.
please guys, help me?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
You dont need to go buy a new CPU your CPU is not great, an older Phenom would have gamed better BUT its not so god awful you need to throw it away, your GPU is limiting you anyway not your CPU.

First do as Hexit says get real temperature readings "it feels hot" is not a temperature reading or any form of accurate measurement.

Also any driver updates lately? Have you done/installed anything that could be causing the hit?

Secondly how are you judging your FPS? Also what settings are you running the game on? To average 60FPS with your Graphics card you should be on medium settings with little to no AA

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
ok so i'm running usually on auto (which is high) and my GPU seems to work great with it. about the fps, i use a command called rende.drawfps 1 which draws an fps counter. i'v checked my temps and my CPU's on 51c, but my GPU is 71c-75c (!)
as for drivers: i have the 12.7 beta drivers simply because for some, i can't download the newest driver from amd's site, so now i'm trying again.
as for buying a new CPU: i bought this cpu because i thought it's good, and i still think it is.
all i know is that by overclocking you can achieve performance lvl of an i5 (don't quote me or anything) but i just don't want to take the risk of failing.
basically, i wanna know if there's anyway of making this cpu as it's supposed to be without overclocking.
thanks for the quick replies!

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
ok i still can't open the god-damn download file.. it gives me an error: installer integrity check has failed. common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. cantact the installer's author to get a new copy.
i played again, but this time on low: NO FPS CHANGE WHAT-SO-EVER! it's amazing! i minimized again to wright it down and up until 5 minutes siince the game crashed my pc was super slow, and i saw my cpu usage was at 50%.
idk what's going on... it might be the drivers but i can't install them!

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Well for me there was not a big difference between 12.7b and 12.8 on bf3 (and I have AMD as well), I really think the problem is just your CPU, try custom settings and play with the settings a bit, definitely don't run any msaa, low AA if any at all. No HBAO and try turning down any CPU intensive settings. Like stated above you should be running on medium.
The only thing to make that CPU anywhere near what it is on paper is to overclock it (a lot), and you will need a better cooler don't use stock one.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

no you don't understand!
the fps thingy started about 3 days ago. before that i got on HIGH the 39-60 with avg-45, now i get this 20-39 fps on low, AND on high! it's extremely annoying, and about the CPU, is there anyway to make it better??

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Ahh ok, so did it start after update from 12.6 to 12.7b?? If not what change did you make to your pc before this started happening?

And like has been said several times you need to overclock it for better performance. That problems you listed still makes me think CPU prob, if fps stays low between graphics settings, it's usually CPU issue.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

did this happen to happen after you installed the Armored expansion and the general update?

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
i don't know what caused the fps drops, i really don't.. it didn't happen right when AK came out. it started about 3 days ago but it might be the driver.
anyway i installed the driver i got with my GPU (don't know version), and as for OC:
i see that you can actually OC through the catalyst, and i was wondering if i should do it from there.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

I have heard some issues with lag on AK maps (internet lag) but I have had no problems so idk. Are you sure it is not Internet lag? It is sometimes hard to tell the diff between slow framerate and Internet lag in bf3.

As for OCing, no the OC in catalyst is for your Graphics Card, you will need to overclock your CPU and you should do it through BIOS. But it depends on your MoBo, I have am ASRock that can OC the CPU and RAM through an included utility.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
i managed to install the new drivers, now i only need to solve this minimize-crash thing.
no other way but overclocking? if it is the only way, will doing it from the catalyst be safe?

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

You know strangely enough I am actually having the same crash problem on minimize (or exit full screen) occasionally. It started happening after I got AK.
As for overclocking, like I said, Catalyst is your graphics card overclocking utility (which might help). For your CPU you will need to use BIOS.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

mine used to do it but only on start up. try running bf3s built in fixer within origin.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah. Same. But I think it just a little coding problem from last update or AK cuz it's only happened since the last update and AK.

OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Guys... if you have problems with your BF3... I have the best solution! Join your country army there you will get BF4 for free :D I was in Afganistan... I had BF, BF2, BF3, Bf4 and more. I recommend you to try out !

System requirements:
18 or more years
good physical preparation
good mood and time!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

derp derp

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

joining the army, huh? just for the record i live in israel, where joining the army is a duty.
soooo, yeah.
i'm also not yet 18.
i also have medical problems which prevent me from even being even a gunner (i tried to be a pilot, no way.)
soooo, yeah. i can't even be a soldier. bf3 is the closest to reality i can get.
but let's put the army aside, i overclocked my cpu and it's working fine now. apparently OCing an AMD cpu is really easy XD