Fax seems to interfere with modem

May 22, 2005 2:12:19 AM

Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using the
BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at speeds of
42-52Kbps.
Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps connections
and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?) interval right
after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing my access
provider's modem.
Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere with
the modem ?
I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
hear the Fax sending out tones.
Thanks.
Ed.

More about : fax interfere modem

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:04:06 AM

Explain what you mean by fax tone.
Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing my
> access provider's modem.
> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
> with the modem ?
> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
> hear the Fax sending out tones.
> Thanks.
> Ed.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:30:03 PM

I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none to
be sent.
The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones are
finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...

> Explain what you mean by fax tone.
> Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
>> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
>> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
>> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
>> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
>> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing
>> my access provider's modem.
>> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
>> with the modem ?
>> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
>> hear the Fax sending out tones.
>> Thanks.
>> Ed.

May 22, 2005 5:30:04 PM

What is in your Fax Console's Outbox?
--
>I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none
>to be sent.
> The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones are
> finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Explain what you mean by fax tone.
>> Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
>>> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
>>> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
>>> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
>>> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
>>> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing
>>> my access provider's modem.
>>> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
>>> with the modem ?
>>> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can
>>> still hear the Fax sending out tones.
>>> Thanks.
>>> Ed.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:21:06 PM

In an attempt to fix the problem, I have removed Fax Services from Windows
Components. As a consequence Fax console is not available (empty).

Before removing Fax Services the Fax Console's was empty.

news:o uVb8KvXFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What is in your Fax Console's Outbox?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none
>>to be sent.
>> The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones
>> are finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Explain what you mean by fax tone.
>>> Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:48:04 AM

"Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet
> using the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP
> Home SP2 at speeds of 42-52Kbps.
> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second
> (?) interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be
> confusing my access provider's modem.
> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not
> interfere with the modem ?
> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I
> can still hear the Fax sending out tones.
> Thanks.
> Ed.

Removing the fax program will not disable the modem either trying to
send or receive a fax. You have to turn the modem's sending and
receiving functions with the fax software before uninstalling the
fax software. A point to remember is that the fax program does not
answer the incoming ring. A command has been sent to the modem
telling it to go offhook after a certain number of rings. This can
happen even if the computer is turned off if you have an ATX
motherboard. That is how Wake-on-Ring works. You have to reinstall
the fax software and turn off Auto-Answer.

--
Earl F. Parrish
Anonymous

Earl,
If Autoanswer were causing the problem, why would the user hear fax tones
right after dialing up to the Internet? I can't figure out why that would
happen.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message

> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o lVkOtmXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
>> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
>> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
>> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
>> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
>> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing
>> my access provider's modem.
>> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
>> with the modem ?
>> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
>> hear the Fax sending out tones.
>> Thanks.
>> Ed.
>>

> Removing the fax program will not disable the modem either trying to send
> or receive a fax. You have to turn the modem's sending and receiving
> functions with the fax software before uninstalling the fax software. A
> point to remember is that the fax program does not answer the incoming
> ring. A command has been sent to the modem telling it to go offhook after
> a certain number of rings. This can happen even if the computer is turned
> off if you have an ATX motherboard. That is how Wake-on-Ring works. You
> have to reinstall the fax software and turn off Auto-Answer.
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:10:58 PM

> Earl,
> If Autoanswer were causing the problem, why would the user hear
> fax tones right after dialing up to the Internet? I can't figure
> out why that would happen.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

That might be the answer tones the fax modem sends for an incoming
call. I have not tested out what the modem does for an outgoing
data call when auto-answer is on. I have DSL so I do not use dialup
anymore. From my past experience with fax software, the modem
usually is shown to be in use when you have auto-answer turned on
and try to use the modem for something else. That was way back when
I used WinFax Pro and had a dialup account with CompuServe using
Windows 98.

--
Earl F. Parrish
Anonymous

Interesting. I wonder why fax software would send out answer tones if there
is no incoming call. Like you, I can't test. Dial up Internet is in the very
distant past.
--

!