Fax seems to interfere with modem

Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using the
BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at speeds of
42-52Kbps.
Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps connections
and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?) interval right
after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing my access
provider's modem.
Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere with
the modem ?
I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
hear the Fax sending out tones.
Thanks.
Ed.
8 answers Last reply
More about interfere modem

    Explain what you mean by fax tone.
    Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
    > the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
    > speeds of 42-52Kbps.
    > Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
    > connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
    > interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing my
    > access provider's modem.
    > Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
    > with the modem ?
    > I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
    > hear the Fax sending out tones.
    > Thanks.
    > Ed.

    I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none to
    be sent.
    The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones are
    finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...

    > Explain what you mean by fax tone.
    > Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
    >> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
    >> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
    >> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
    >> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
    >> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing
    >> my access provider's modem.
    >> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
    >> with the modem ?
    >> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can still
    >> hear the Fax sending out tones.
    >> Thanks.
    >> Ed.

    What is in your Fax Console's Outbox?
    --
    >I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none
    >to be sent.
    > The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones are
    > finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Explain what you mean by fax tone.
    >> Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet using
    >>> the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP Home SP2 at
    >>> speeds of 42-52Kbps.
    >>> Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
    >>> connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second (?)
    >>> interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be confusing
    >>> my access provider's modem.
    >>> Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not interfere
    >>> with the modem ?
    >>> I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I can
    >>> still hear the Fax sending out tones.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Ed.

    In an attempt to fix the problem, I have removed Fax Services from Windows
    Components. As a consequence Fax console is not available (empty).

    Before removing Fax Services the Fax Console's was empty.

    > What is in your Fax Console's Outbox?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>I mean it seems like XP Fax is trying to send a Fax even if there is none
    >>to be sent.
    >> The tone I am referring to is audible immediately after the dial tones
    >> are finished and it repeats about every 2 seconds...
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Explain what you mean by fax tone.
    >>> Windows XP Fax sends nothing unless you are sending a fax.
    >>> --
    >>> Russ Valentine
    >>> [MVP-Outlook]
    >>> "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message

    "Eduardo Kolbe" <emorenokolbe@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Before configuring Windows Fax, I used to connect to the Internet
    > using the BCM V.92 56K modem in my DELL Inspiron 1150 Windows XP
    > Home SP2 at speeds of 42-52Kbps.
    > Now, after configuring Windows XP Fax, I can only get 29-32 Kbps
    > connections and I hear the Fax tone being sent out at a 2 second
    > (?) interval right after dialing up. I guess that the tone may be
    > confusing my access provider's modem.
    > Question: How can I disable the Fax tones so that they do not
    > interfere with the modem ?
    > I have already tried removing Fax from Windows components but I
    > can still hear the Fax sending out tones.
    > Thanks.
    > Ed.

    Removing the fax program will not disable the modem either trying to
    send or receive a fax. You have to turn the modem's sending and
    receiving functions with the fax software before uninstalling the
    fax software. A point to remember is that the fax program does not
    answer the incoming ring. A command has been sent to the modem
    telling it to go offhook after a certain number of rings. This can
    happen even if the computer is turned off if you have an ATX
    motherboard. That is how Wake-on-Ring works. You have to reinstall
    the fax software and turn off Auto-Answer.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Earl,
    If Autoanswer were causing the problem, why would the user hear fax tones
    right after dialing up to the Internet? I can't figure out why that would
    happen.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    > Earl,
    > If Autoanswer were causing the problem, why would the user hear
    > fax tones right after dialing up to the Internet? I can't figure
    > out why that would happen.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]

    That might be the answer tones the fax modem sends for an incoming
    call. I have not tested out what the modem does for an outgoing
    data call when auto-answer is on. I have DSL so I do not use dialup
    anymore. From my past experience with fax software, the modem
    usually is shown to be in use when you have auto-answer turned on
    and try to use the modem for something else. That was way back when
    I used WinFax Pro and had a dialup account with CompuServe using
    Windows 98.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Interesting. I wonder why fax software would send out answer tones if there
    is no incoming call. Like you, I can't test. Dial up Internet is in the very
    distant past.
    --

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Earl,
    >> If Autoanswer were causing the problem, why would the user hear fax tones
    >> right after dialing up to the Internet? I can't figure out why that would
    >> happen.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > That might be the answer tones the fax modem sends for an incoming call.
    > I have not tested out what the modem does for an outgoing data call when
    > auto-answer is on. I have DSL so I do not use dialup anymore. From my
    > past experience with fax software, the modem usually is shown to be in use
    > when you have auto-answer turned on and try to use the modem for something
    > else. That was way back when I used WinFax Pro and had a dialup account
    > with CompuServe using Windows 98.
    >
    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

Fax Modem Windows XP