Overclocking my old P3 450

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Ok I have an old P3 450 and I decided to overclock it a bit, its not worth much so I wasnt really that worried bout it. I'm using CPUFSB to overclock it. So far I've got it up to 504Mhz (4.5x112) and after running a few bench marks and playing a game of UT the temperature was about 40c.

I want to c if I can push the CPU a little further however CPUFSB wont let me increase the FSB in small increments the next FSB it will allow me to do is 133Mhz and I doubt my CPU will run at 600Mhz.

Will it damage my CPU or ne of my components (Graphics card/network card) if I do increase the FSB to 133? Whats a safe temperature do run the CPU at? Are there ne other programmes that will alow me to increase the FSB in smaller increments and work with my old Supermicro P6SBA motherboard?

Why use windows when you can use doors?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
i would be risky... try setting it for 133 and reboot. it wont damage your components as long as u dont change the voltage. if it locks up you will have to change the voltage. change it to the next higher voltage and try FSB133 again. i wouldnt recommend you to do it b/c those P3 arent very good overclockers. my guess is that your cpu is slot 1 so you cant make cooling better. better cooling is needed so you can run your comptuer @ 133 FSB reliably. its ur choice...

ask crashman, he knows more about this than i do.

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah it is slot1, i will try the FSB at 133Mhz but i doubt it will work. I havent got a clue how to increase voltages, so if it doesnt run stable at 133Mhz then I will need some one to tell me how to do that as well.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
*WARNING*
BY UPPPING THE VOLTAGE EITHER U GET LUCKY AND GET 600 MHZ OR YOU MAKE IT KFC
*WARNING*

If you are decent with computer hardware, you have to open your computer and look at the motherboard. I has many should have jumpers where you can switch the voltage. (i hope you know what jumpers are). It should be written on the motherboard what set of jumpers are used to changed the voltage. it should also have instructions on how to set the jumpers for a specific voltage. before you move them, look at what voltage is currently set. then remember that voltage or write it down somewhere. next you have to set the next higher voltage availabe and boot see if your computer gets into windows, if not, set the next higher voltage until it successfully logs onto windows. i also recommend you getting motherboard monitor 5 (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) , is a program that checks your cpu temp and if gets too hot you will know. your computer should run under 60 - 65 degrees celcius MAX, and thats making ur cpu suffer. since you have a slot 1, its hard to add aditional cooling, so do your best, add fans everywhere....
remember, add voltages in the least ammount possible, and just enuff so ur computer can run stably. check your motherboard manual on how to set cpu voltages. i would give u more specific instructions but i dont have ur motherboard.

Some of the 450s especially the SL35D could do 600 or more . I got mine up to 657mhz with 2.02volts.

Pretty simple mods if you want to try.

First cover connectors A-119,B-119 and B-121 for the voltage mod. This will give you 2.02 volts.

Now cover B-21. this will make your motherboard think it is a 133fsb processor.

I use the good quality clear packaging tape . Nice thick stuff that cost $5. a roll.

I aint signing nothing!!!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Ok my motherboard was only made for Pentium 2s or celerons and so the only supported FSB's are 66-100mhz. I can get it to 133Mhz using CPUFSB but the computer just crashes at that speed even with a voltage increase to 2.2volts (from 2). I tried covering pin b21 as well as pins B119 A119 and A121 (thanx for the help Rick) but when I turn on my computer the screen doesnt come on and the keyboard doesnt flash. I'm not sure if this is because the motherboard I'm using cannot support 133Mhz FSB or simply because my CPU wont run at these speeds.

I was just wondering if there are ne pins I could cover that would change the mulitiplier of the CPU? Or if neother programmes exist such as CPUFSB that will allow me to change the FSB of my motherboard in smaller increments.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Unfortunately, u won't change the multiplier this way. Only few CPUs ain't gotta locked multiplier. Intel gives them to several VERY GOOD partners, for test purposes. The trick with unlocking mechanically is possible only for K7.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
make sure u chose the right PLL (the clocking chip) because if not, it crashes. so maybe ur crash isnt because its running at 133FSB, probably ur crash is because ur machine didnt recognize the PLL manufacturer and model that u chose to change the frequency. open ur computer and look for a chip (usually near the cpu slot) that has an PLL number and manufacturer. write down all the chip numbers u found near the CPU and compare those numbers to the PLL models in CPUFSB. It has to match. thats is very important because same thing happened to me...i chose the wrong PLL

btw, CPUFSB is a liiittle more complicated to use than SOFTFSB, download SOFTFSB from somewhere and try that too.

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by grassapa on 08/16/02 05:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
CPUFSB works when I increase the FSB to 112Mhz so I think I have the right PPL i've checked the codes and they match. I tried using SOFTFSB but my system coompletly locked up. Are they the only two FSB programmes availiable?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
there might, but all programs are the same. they all will give you to choose from 112 or 133. that is decided by your pll, not by your program. try raising the voltage when using 133fsb. if you cant then i gotta tell u that u probably wont make 133FSB.