Puzzling printing failure.

Hello fellow members, :-)

This is a very troublesome and puzzling problem, so please bear with me. I
have contacted HP telephone support and they cannot help me as they have
never heard of this problem.

My computer is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I am NOT connected to
ANY network. All available Windows XP updates are installed. There are no
spyware or viruses, and my computer has never had any. Norton Internet
Security Professional 2004 is installed.

My printer is a brand new Hewlett-Packard Photosmart 2610 multifunction
(all-in-one) printer with HP Image Zone photo software installed. All
applicable HP driver and software updates are installed.

MY PRINTER IS CONNECTED TO MY COMPUTER VIA A USB CABLE. I HAVE A CHIICONY
CORDLESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER BY ONE USB CABLE. I
think the USB connection is part of the problem.

When ever I want to print anything (any type of file) it is not printed,
meaning nothing is printed. I have a hunch this is because the file is not
being sent to the printer.

There is another problem which I think is related. When I am using my
computer the USB Keyboard and mouse freeze. This can happen at anytime and
when using any software program. The computer then becomes very slow and
unresponsive. To get the keyboard and mouse to unfreeze I have to unplug
their USB cable and plug it into a DIFFERENT USB plug. If I plug it into the
original USB plug it will not unfreeze. But several minutes later the USB
keyboard and mouse will freeze again. So I unplug its cable and plug it into
a third USB plug, but again several minutes later the USB keyboard and mouse
freezes. I have tried all 6 USB plugs on my computer and still it freezes.
When I plug the keyboard and mouse USB cable into the USB plugs which have
previously frozen it will not work.

When the USB keyboard and mouse freeze the only thing I can do is to restart
the computer. But now the computer is very slow. It slowly logs off, but
gets half way through shutting down and then freezes. Then I have to press
the restart button on the front of the computer. Restarting the computer
works however. After I log back on I am able to print normally and the USB
keyboard and mouse does not freeze.

Here's the clincher. Restarting the computer also PREVENTS the problem
from happening!! So, whenever I turn on my computer I am taken to the
welcome screen. I then restart my computer and then log on. No more
problem!!!

I am not using and have never used a USB hub. There are only two USB
connections on my computer, the printer and the keyboard and mouse.

I have checked my motherboard settings with HP telephone support, and as far
as I am aware, the settings are correct.

I have heard that USB Plug n Play devices (those which have no software or
drivers), such as my keyboard, can cause conflict with USB devices which do
require drivers and software to function, such as the printer. Can this be
part of the problem? HP say, as far as they are aware, there is no such
conflict.

Can anybody help me? Am I doomed to restarting my computer every time I
start it?

Cheers, Techno Phobe.
1 answer Last reply
More about puzzling printing failure

    Go into the Device Manager and scroll down to the USB connections. Check
    the Properties of each and ensure that under the Power Management section,
    that they are not using the Default setting which is to turn off when not in
    use to save power. If they are, UNCHECK the box.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Techno Phobe" <TechnoPhobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > welcome screen. I then restart my computer and then log on. No more
    > problem!!!
    >
    > I am not using and have never used a USB hub. There are only two USB
    > connections on my computer, the printer and the keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > I have checked my motherboard settings with HP telephone support, and as
    > far
    > as I am aware, the settings are correct.
    >
    > I have heard that USB Plug n Play devices (those which have no software or
    > drivers), such as my keyboard, can cause conflict with USB devices which
    > do
    > require drivers and software to function, such as the printer. Can this
    > be
    > part of the problem? HP say, as far as they are aware, there is no such
    > conflict.
    >
    > Can anybody help me? Am I doomed to restarting my computer every time I

Computers Hewlett Packard USB Windows XP