EQ1: When are you "Uber"?

Sometimes it's easy to label someone as "Uber".

For example: I know a Cleric who has so many AAs she makes God
jealous. And if you've ever heard the "Clerics can't solo" she'll
prove you wrong. (She solos better than almost anyone I know.)

Another example: I know a Ranger than has more HP/AC mitigation than
all but the top four plate tanks in our raiding alliance. He can tank
any single or double group content you care to name, as well or better
than any plate tank I know.

But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
of "Uber"?

What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?

-Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
Spread love and understanding...
but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
-Alex Ross
13 answers Last reply
More about uber

    <send_me_spam@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?

    I've been using this quote a lot lately.

    "Where it is usually depends on where you start."

    I still have a rakusha cloak and mempo of likato in the bank. With those, I
    was undoubtedly "uber". Combined stats... AC 16, MR 10, FR 10, ultravision
    and 36% haste. Zero hitpoints.

    I'm not as uber now as those made me back then... for an interesting slice
    of EQ history, read the comments on Allakhazams on the Rakusha. =)

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?

    This is so hard to define. When I was level 9, I considered the level 20
    bard who helped get my corpse out from Kithicor Forest at night to be
    "uber". I once had a level 50 shaman challenge me to a duel for
    "kill-stealing" a decaying skeleton from him. That was "uber" too.

    Perhaps my recent guildless experience, though, showed the real difference
    between "uber" and "non-uber", at least from my perspective. For a month I
    was without a guild, so I depended on pick-up groups for XP. A couple of
    times I got questions along the lines of "How much mana do you have
    unbuffed?" My answer (8500 at the time) was good enough to meet someone's
    criteria of "uber". I was allowed to do some MPG single-group trials and to
    XP in RSS because I had the equipment to give me a significant mana pool.

    I once joined an RSS group and was asked, "Do you have Bali? The last
    cleric didn't have Bali." I didn't have Symbol of Balikor either; I needed
    two Glowing Runes or six Minor Runes to get that spell. This clearly
    disappointed the group. I wasn't "uber" to them.

    A mage started regularly inviting me into his MPG / RSS groups. When I
    joined my current guild, I started participating in raids and after-raid
    activities, and now I had to reply to his tells that I was busy doing other
    things. I regret that terribly, because he was a good source of finding
    groups when I was guildless, but now I had so much to do with my current
    guild I just couldn't find time to group with him.

    When I was interviewed by my current guild, I was quizzed about my AA's - I
    "only" had 300. I was told a condition of my trial is that I get a lot more
    AA's. In the past month I've added nearly 100 AA's, and even then I'm on
    the lower end of guild AA's. Another cleric in the guild recently dinged
    his 900th AA.

    So, what is uber?

    Equipment, with good focus effects and stats. Time gear seems to be the
    current minimum, with all slots have 100hp/mana at worst. With that
    equipment, you can cast more spells, attack more proficiently, withstand
    more damage.

    Lots of AA's, which also adds to your mana/hp/mitigation/DPS. A tank with
    Time gear and 500 AA will be a lot better than a tank with Anguish gear and
    50 AA. Plus there are certain AA spell-like abilities that can do awesome
    things - I can't imagine what it's like being a cleric without DivArb
    anymore. Or RC6. Or... well, lots of things.

    Spells and/or disciplines. There's a huge difference between the level 65
    buffs and the level 66-70 buffs. If you can't get runes to get the latest
    spells/discs, you're not offering what a "uber" character could.

    And, finally, the ability to effortlessly find good groups. With my current
    guild, there's never a time I can't find a group if I want it. And because
    everyone in the group is "uber", we kill stuff quickly and efficiently,
    garnering us XP and loot at an alarming rate. This also has an unfortunate
    insulating effect; why take a chance on grouping with "non-ubers" when your
    own "uber" guildmates are close at hand? Why choose to XP at a slower rate
    with greater risk?

    Equipment. AA's. Spells/Discs. Good groups. I think those define "uber"
    in EQ. I also think that anyone who is sufficiently motivated can become
    "uber" if they choose to devote the time to it. Whether you want to be
    "uber" or "casual" is entirely up to you, and part of what makes EQ a great
    game, IMO - it caters to either option.

    --
    -Richard

    Monual Lifegiver
    Prelate of Rodcet Nife
    Povar server

    send_me_spam@bellsouth.net (Chuck) wrote in news:42d77c28.47792171
    @newsgroups.bellsouth.net:

    > Sometimes it's easy to label someone as "Uber".
    >
    > For example: I know a Cleric who has so many AAs she makes God
    > jealous. And if you've ever heard the "Clerics can't solo" she'll
    > prove you wrong. (She solos better than almost anyone I know.)
    >
    > Another example: I know a Ranger than has more HP/AC mitigation than
    > all but the top four plate tanks in our raiding alliance. He can tank
    > any single or double group content you care to name, as well or better
    > than any plate tank I know.
    >
    > But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    > of "Uber"?
    >
    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?

    I always considered that to be the point at which you become geared and
    AA'd beyond the level of a large particular segment of the population. For
    example, I consider elemental and time geared people to be uber, as the
    requirements for reaching that level exceed the capabilities/resources or
    commitment level of a large number of players.

    That said, there are certainly various levels of "uber-ness". It of course
    only goes up from there. ;)

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    In alt.games.everquest, send_me_spam@bellsouth.net (Chuck) wrote:

    >But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    >of "Uber"?

    Easy, when everyone else in the game exists merely to do what you need and
    when.

    When being turned down for a port leaves you surprised that someone had the
    audacity to say no.

    When 'running out of the zone without invis with every mob behind you' is
    no longer training but is just 'hurrying to a raid'.

    To name 3.

    --
    Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
    GCv312 GCS d s+:++ a C+++ UAL++++$ P+ L++ E W(++) N+++(N--) w++$ R+ tv-- b++

    >>But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    >>of "Uber"?

    > When 'running out of the zone without invis with every mob behind you' is
    > no longer training but is just 'hurrying to a raid'.

    when you post to this newsgroup asking for a resurrection (or your cat wears
    banded armor)

    Maxx Taxx <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >when you post to this newsgroup asking for a resurrection (or your cat wears
    >banded armor)

    You're not really uber unless you call your cat's armor "barding".
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    >when you post to this newsgroup asking for a resurrection (or your cat wears
    >banded armor)

    Heck, I could make banded armor for Dog-dog cheaper than I could buy
    summoned stuff. Hmmm. Maybe I should save some money then...

    -Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
    Spread love and understanding...
    but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
    -Alex Ross

    When you don't look or play with someone else and go "Damn I wish I was
    that powerful. "

    Submitted by: Isloor
    This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:16:05 -0500, "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >... Whether you want to be
    >"uber" or "casual" is entirely up to you, and part of what makes EQ a great
    >game, IMO - it caters to either option.

    This is the crux of the matter. I've seen so many arguments that boil
    down to "your playstyle is wrong because you don't play the way I do".
    The great thing about EQ is you can play hardcore or casual and have a
    good time. I'm finding the same thing in WoW. I know the feeling is
    that WoW caters to the casual end, but there are certainly hardcore
    folk there as well.

    Chuck wrote:
    > Sometimes it's easy to label someone as "Uber".
    >
    > For example: I know a Cleric who has so many AAs she makes God
    > jealous. And if you've ever heard the "Clerics can't solo" she'll
    > prove you wrong. (She solos better than almost anyone I know.)
    >
    > Another example: I know a Ranger than has more HP/AC mitigation than
    > all but the top four plate tanks in our raiding alliance. He can tank
    > any single or double group content you care to name, as well or better
    > than any plate tank I know.
    >
    > But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    > of "Uber"?
    >
    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?
    >
    > -Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
    > Spread love and understanding...
    > but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
    > -Alex Ross

    Well, I remember seeing a screenshot of a high end raiding warrior and
    seeing that his hitpoints were 8.5k (!) I used to think that was
    impossibly uber and that I'd never be anything like it. The day I hit
    10,000hp for the first time I certainly didn't feel uber, and still don't.

    Presently I would put my uber-bar, for an SK at the following
    requirements, met with typical group buffs, not fully raid buffed:

    1. 12,000hp
    2. 2400AC
    3. >=10% shielding
    4. >=dodge 2 and parry 1 or parry 2 and dodge 1
    5. some +avoidance

    cheers,
    James

    "Chuck" <send_me_spam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > Sometimes it's easy to label someone as "Uber".
    >
    > But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    > of "Uber"?
    >
    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?

    I'll consider myself uber when I can survive a bard train /nod

    Ocura- permanently lvl 65 mage of Lanys/7th hammer (I hate hunting aa's!!!)

    "Tony Evans" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > In alt.games.everquest, send_me_spam@bellsouth.net (Chuck) wrote:
    >
    > When 'running out of the zone without invis with every mob behind you' is
    > no longer training but is just 'hurrying to a raid'.

    .... Your a bard aren't you....

    Ocura

    "Chuck" <send_me_spam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > Sometimes it's easy to label someone as "Uber".
    >
    > For example: I know a Cleric who has so many AAs she makes God
    > jealous. And if you've ever heard the "Clerics can't solo" she'll
    > prove you wrong. (She solos better than almost anyone I know.)
    >
    > Another example: I know a Ranger than has more HP/AC mitigation than
    > all but the top four plate tanks in our raiding alliance. He can tank
    > any single or double group content you care to name, as well or better
    > than any plate tank I know.
    >
    > But what about us mere mortals? When can we hope to achieve the title
    > of "Uber"?
    >
    > What do you consider the criteria of "Uberness"?
    >
    > -Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
    > Spread love and understanding...
    > but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
    > -Alex Ross

    There are many ways of defining "Uberness", some more popular than others.

    There's the snarky way: If you have to ask if you're uber, you ain't there
    yet.

    There's the elitist definistion: the top five or ten characters in each
    class on each server.

    Some people prefer a quantitative definition. It's rather seductive to draw
    up
    a list of stats to meet: level 70, so many AA's in certain areas, a certain
    level of
    gear (100+ HP per piece or so). In theory, anyone can meet this dfinition,
    given time
    and, not so much plat, as the right friends to help you with the fights for
    the gear.

    To me, however, uberness is largely a qualitative phenomenon. You're uber
    when
    people say you are. There is a degree of relativity here: what's uber to
    someone new
    to the game will not impress someone who's been around a long time. Any
    level
    70 character will seem uber to a new player, but among the 70's, they have
    their own
    criteria.

    Uber is when you can survive battles others can't, can do things others
    can't. The
    monk who can solo Trak. The 70 cleric who can melee to death SOMEthing dark
    blue to a level 70. The tank who can stand up to a 2000-hitter long enough
    for a
    CH to land. The guild that can take down Mata Muram. The guild that can kill
    RZ
    with only 35 people.

    Uberness is when people you think of as uber say "You're pretty good..."
    If they're
    given to showing that sort of respect at all.

    EJH

Hewlett Packard Video Games