PCSX2 Configuration

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
So I recently got the PCSX2 PS2 emulator v1.0 and I wanted to know what the best setting configuration was for my computer. I have a GTX 560 Ti and an Intel 2600K @4.3GHz, so THE best settings are what I'm going for. Help please?

Solution
for kingdom hearts i just left everything on default, found it ran fine using my HD6950, does yours stutter or anything while playing?

I find running most games at 720 resolution and default all work great for me, only some games that run slower i have to use speedhack to get it to pick up a bit.

i have maxed out everything in GPU settings as well and was able to play KH and KH2 just fine. the 560ti should handle most of the games with ease. but if i can ill grab my settings when i get home and post them

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

thats tricky. there really arent "best" settings for it. just toy around with the settings till you get performance that you like. the performance is different in alot of games, so no one setting is going to be good for all of them. i know becuase i have alot of PS2 discs i have played on my pc

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Well right now I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts and I was hoping someone would send me there config if it was good but If it's different for everyone then I guess I'll take your advice and mess around with it :na:

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

are you going more towards performance, or do you want graphics? both are tricky to achieve in a lot of games. ill look at my pcsx2 emulator and see what my settings are. i havent used it in about a month, but after i get off from work ill post them if you would still like a starting point. i play alot of action oriented games (Castlevania, DragonBall Z, etc.). ideally, your settings should get you in the neighborhood of 60 fps (any higher and the game will actually speed). honestly, many of my games are unplayable past 70 fps ( there are settings that lock the highest fps i think) these are things to think about tho.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
for kingdom hearts i just left everything on default, found it ran fine using my HD6950, does yours stutter or anything while playing?

I find running most games at 720 resolution and default all work great for me, only some games that run slower i have to use speedhack to get it to pick up a bit.

i have maxed out everything in GPU settings as well and was able to play KH and KH2 just fine. the 560ti should handle most of the games with ease. but if i can ill grab my settings when i get home and post them

Solution

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

thank god for mobile devices with internet lol the one major misconception is that the GPU actually matters. emulators are more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. im pretty sure an GT 520 would be able to run an emulator smoothly. my games generally lag by about 5-10 frames in heavy action sequences, but nothing major. defualt settings will basically run any game, but alot of them will not run well, or as well as they need to. one thing that might help to increase performance in the emulator is to use task manager and end memory and cpu intensive programs. thats where i notice any sort of real performance boost. but lowering some of the graphics settings just a tad might also make your games run a tad smoother

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i do realize that CPU is the major contributor to performance with emulators, but the GPU does help with model generation.

I am using a Phenom 955 at 3.2GHz alongside my 6950, i originally was using a gtx260 and tried using this emulator and it slugish in a lot more games than with my HD6950, so gpu does matter as well depending on the game.

his set up would handle many games just as well as mine.

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I'm going for graphics.

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Mine does not stutter but I feel like it would look better if I played on the PS2 itself. I want it to look as good or better than the PS2 though. I'm running at 1080 resolution but I'll try 720.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
sadly it will be hard to make it look just as good, the PS2 outputs the video at 480i or 480p(if you use a component cable) so it will always come out looking a bit better even on a bigger TV

you can crank up the AA which does help a bit and set the native resolution to 720. I still find it looks a bit rough around the edges but there is only so much that can be done to make a 480 res game look good stretched to 720 or 1080.