HP LJ 2200d prints only graphics, no text - worked fine fo..

HP LJ 2200d on Windows XP SP2 prints only graphics but not text. Can print a
postscript graphic using, e.g., Ghostview or a bmp graphic with Paint, but
can't print any text with Notepad, Wordpad or WORD. When I try to print a
document containing text, all the printer lights come on and nothing prints;
the document never appears in the print queue. This printer had been working
for about a year. No changes were made, but I had upgraded the driver before
this problem appeared and have re-installed it several times after this
problem began.

This article has a lot of good information on troubleshooting printing in
Windows XP:

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to print
to a local printer by using Office programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870622

PattyL

"PJCarroll_xray" <PJCarrollxray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HP LJ 2200d on Windows XP SP2 prints only graphics but not text. Can print
> postscript graphic using, e.g., Ghostview or a bmp graphic with Paint, but
> can't print any text with Notepad, Wordpad or WORD. When I try to print a
> document containing text, all the printer lights come on and nothing
> prints;
> the document never appears in the print queue. This printer had been
> working
> for about a year. No changes were made, but I had upgraded the driver
> before
> this problem appeared and have re-installed it several times after this
> problem began.

The link from PattyL to that troubleshooting document was very useful! It
showed me that there were several individual fonts that would not print (some
of the most often used: arial, times, courier). The troubleshooting document
indicated that fonts can be re-installed by going into windows setup from the
original windows CD, but it's unclear to me how to do that without
re-installing the whole system and losing the service pack 2 update. So I did
something suggested by one of our IT guys and copied those fonts from a
different computer running Windows XP SP2. HOWEVER, the problem is still
there, but slightly different. With the original "bad" fonts, the printer
would hang but the print job would get into the print queue (and I would have
to cancel it). With the "new" fonts, the printer hangs but the job doesn't
appear in the queue.
If there's no solution to this I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and
re-install XP and SP2!

Save yourself a little bit of time and slipstream SP2 into your edition of
XP.

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

That way you can at least try for a Repair Installation before you really
decide to format and reinstall.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)