abit BE6-II FSB error?

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
hi all - running an Abit Be6-II v1.2, latest BIOS (71), P-III 1 gHz, 256MB PC133 RAM

In my first attempt at oc, I have played with the CPU voltage and FSB settings until I got FSB @ 122 with Vc = 1.85v - this is the best I could get and it still run Windoze 98SE. I have 2 questions -

1) what else can I try?
2) when I run PCMark 2002, it shows a FSB of 143 mHz - any ideas why the descrepancy between the BIOS at 122 and PCMark? Does the increase in core voltage affect the FSB speed?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein.

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
it's a true Slot 1, 1 gHz, 100 mHz FSB - the Intel product code is SL4KL

Since my first post I have gone back and dropped the FSB in the BIOS to 120 - PC Mark still shows the FSB at 143 but the machine actually scored higher with the lower FSB BIOS setting - go figure

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn, you would have gotten a lot better performance from the 133MHz FSB version. If you want to see what these can do, take a look at ftp://141.209.46.238/1307b.bmp Anyway, it's a problem with the software not detecting your settings I think.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
the 100 versus 133 is a long story that I won't bore you with.

So, if PC-Mark is not reading it correctly, what are other programs to benchmark with ?

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
thanks Crash - WCPUID shows 122.6 FSB which is what MBM shows as well.

People are strange when you're a stranger.

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
yes - 122 FSB, CPU at 1226 mHz, Vc=1.90v - when I change to 123 FSB my CD drive goes stupid and thinks my Win98 CD is an audio CD - other than that 123 seems to be ok too. Not sure what else I can try with this setup - this may be as good as it gets.

Another thing that is troublesome is the PC Marks HD scores seem real low - like 148 where others with similar setups are above 400 - I am running a Seagate SCSI drive on Adaptec 2940 PCI-Ultra SCSI controller and a WD 102AA on the IDE channel. Gonna play with this some more but will probably be tomorrow before I get a chance.

Crash - I noticed your ebay auction went very well!!

People are strange when you're a stranger.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might be having a problem with the PCI bus! Make sure you drop the PCI divider down from 1/3 to 1/4! This is the most likely cause of drive issues. At 122MHz, your PCI is at 41MHz, the limmit for many cards, unless you drop the PCI divider to 1/4. AT 1/4, you PCI would be the proper 33MHz with the bus speed pushed all the way to 133MHz. The lowest setting available for AGP is 2/3.

I'm fairly certain that your specific problem is specifically related to PCI bus speed. Using the 1/4 ratio, at 123MHz FSB, your PCI will be underclocked to 31 MHz, which is close enough.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

mikro

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
I have decided it has to be heat related - I do have the PCI divider at 1/4 &AGP at 2/3. I was able to push it to 126 FSB at 1.95v and the CDROM was fine - it didn't last very long though as the CPU temp rose above 50C Windoze started getting flaky (imagine that). I am going to order a new case and get some better airflow and then see what happens. thanks for all your responses.

Oh, about your hard drives - :eek: fsck 'em all :eek: