Sign in with
Your question

Mac OS 9.2.x

Last response: in Mac Os X
January 4, 2012 8:18:39 PM

This may be the wrong forum to post in, but it's the most relevant.

About a month ago I bought an Apple Powerbook 3400c with Mac OS 9.2 installed. I did not receive any boot disks or manuals, just the laptop and charger. When I went to start it up, it loaded the Happy Mac and then went to the Mac OS 9.2 screen. After that it popped up a box that said "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model.".

After some research, I found that the Powerbook 3400c does not support Mac OS 9.2 and is why it will not continue after the start-up screen. The real problem is what should I do? I am fairly new to anything made by Apple in the 90s aside from the iMac G3 and Powerbook 145, so I have absolutely no disks for Mac OS Classic and I am right now at a dead end.

More about : mac

January 5, 2012 3:02:40 AM

You could go to ebay and find some of those afformented discs. Or try a computer hobby club.

There might also be a Linux distribution you could use if you were only interested in getting a working computer.

There are illegal methods of acquiring Mac OS of course, these will not be discussed on this forum. Such comments will be removed.
m
l
January 5, 2012 3:45:25 AM

I'd hate to fight over versions of Mac OS 9 on eBay and OS 8 disks are as scarce as teeth on a hen. I have heard about Linux on Powerbooks but I am more interested in keeping it classic and vintage rather than up to date.

Either way, thanks for the help.
m
l
!