Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Questions from a Potential Newbie

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the decision
to shell out some $$$ for EQ.

Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as I
like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and maybe 3 or
4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with what I have read in
here about how difficult it is to get groups on some servers/in some areas
make me hesitate before I pick up the game.

In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or at
the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?

Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot. PLaying
the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I would be able,
as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I am useful. (Note, I
am not talking about raid-level gear or anything like that, simply gear
that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).

Thanks.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

More about : questions potential newbie

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
> Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the decision
> to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>
> Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as I
> like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and maybe 3 or
> 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with what I have read in
> here about how difficult it is to get groups on some servers/in some areas
> make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
>
> In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
> raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or at
> the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
> classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?
>
> Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot. PLaying
> the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I would be able,
> as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I am useful. (Note, I
> am not talking about raid-level gear or anything like that, simply gear
> that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).

At the lower levels, which will last quite a while with that play schedule,
you'll be fine. It's only when you get to level 60+ where you might face
some difficulties.

If you plan ahead and plan on always having such a play schedule you can
pick a solo capable class to ease any difficulties. Druid would seem like a
good choice for you, with tremendous solo ability and still highly
desirable for groups (two far different playstyles between the soloing and
grouping druid, though). Necromancer is another popular solo capable
choice. There are other solo capable classes, but unlike the druid and
necro they don't come with an "easy" setting (figuratively speaking) so
probably wouldn't be good for a true newbie.

All classes can solo at lower levels, so don't be afraid to start up one of
each and try them all out to form your own opinions.

As far as group demand, shamans, enchanters, and clerics all get groups with
comparative ease. They *can* solo, but none are particularly good at it, so
that's the tradeoff.

Honestly, and don't let this deter you from EQ as I myself consider it the
best of the online game options available right now, WoW and Guild Wars both
offer a more time-challenged-friendly environment, and both are good games.
You might do some reading on those and see whether they would be worth a
try.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the decision
> to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>
> Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as I
> like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and maybe 3 or
> 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with what I have read in
> here about how difficult it is to get groups on some servers/in some areas
> make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
>
> In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
> raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or at
> the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
> classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?
>
> Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot. PLaying
> the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I would be able,
> as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I am useful. (Note, I
> am not talking about raid-level gear or anything like that, simply gear
> that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).
>
> Thanks.
>

I too have a similar schedule, and, playing EQ2, I can tell you that I
am diong fairly well. I have both a 29 Paladin who has now completed
324 quests (The most in our guild, Resolute on Lucan D'Lere) a 22
Warden, and a few others up to about 14. In all likelyhood I would not
try this playing EQ, as my limited time periods make finding groups
difficult and unfair to both me and the groups as we are likely just
getting into a groove when I have to depart. EQ2 however, I have
managed to solo very well with all of my toons at any time of day. The
few times I needed help completeing quests I had little difficulty
putting together a group capable of completing the task. I take it upon
myself to start a group for a quest I need if I see none being
advertised. While I know that I could quite likely be much further up
the food chain if I grouped more for longer periods in prime times, I am
happy with my progress and status thus far.

I do hope that helps.

Ragards,
--
Fingon Grancoeur, Paladin of Resolute on Lucan D'Lere
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:14:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote in
news:Xns9694A2BA48A00mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4:

> Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the
> decision to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>
> Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as
> I like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and
> maybe 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with
> what I have read in here about how difficult it is to get groups on
> some servers/in some areas make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
>
> In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
> raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or
> at the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
> classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?
>
> Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot.
> PLaying the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I
> would be able, as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I
> am useful. (Note, I am not talking about raid-level gear or anything
> like that, simply gear that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).
>

They have put a ton of work into making EQ more newbie- and solo-
friendly over the past couple of years. There are some classes that you
will likely want to stay away from if you plan to do a *lot* of soloing
(rogue, warrior, cleric to name a few), but you can create several,
decide which one best fits your play style best and go from there. Most
classes solo just fine during the early levels, whereas some (druid,
necromancer, bard for example) excel at doing so throughout most of the
game.

As far as difficulty finding groups goes, I'd recommend starting on the
Stromm server, as it appears to have a healthy population at most
levels, making it easier to find groups when you want to.

Another poster mentioned EQ2, and that is also an option. However, don't
consider it the "new and improved" EQ. They are really completely
different games. I played it for a while, and enjoyed it, but ultimately
wound up returning to EQ. I just prefer the gameplay and class design
elements of EQ is all. They're just different games.

If you do decide to go with EQ, drop me a line. I have low-level alts on
both Stromm and Firiona Vie and would be happy to group with you when I
play them. However, I notice that you may be in Europe (judging by your
name), in which case, our play times may not coincide often, although if
it's Canada, that wouldn't pose nearly the problem. ;) 

Check out some of the EQ links found here for more information on the
various classes:

http://tinyurl.com/83es7

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:44:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 15 Jul 2005 20:03:01 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:

>Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the decision
>to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>
>Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as I
>like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and maybe 3 or
>4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with what I have read in
>here about how difficult it is to get groups on some servers/in some areas
>make me hesitate before I pick up the game.

Its possible to find groups of any level fairly easy,if you know which
zone the crowd goes,although in my experience it becomes harder
from 55 up 65,because 55 is the point for most people when they retire
their alts because leveling takes exceptional longer from now on.

>In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
>raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or at
>the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
>classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?

Soloabitlity(is that a word?) was always very good with certain
classes,now it has become laughable easy since they introduced
potions,just like in WoW.
I get invites for my Cleric when *not* looking for group,on the other
hand usually I can run around with one of my Rangers for hours with
lfg tag on and get nothing.
But I dont recommened Cleric for starters,its not fun to be poor.
Shaman,Enchanter,Bard are other classes which are in high demand
for groups,their soloability is somewhat better than Cleric,especially
Bards make nice soloers,but they are difficult to play in the sense
that they need a lot of concentration to be played efficiently,not
very good when you play 8 hours a day like me,but maybe nice for
a more casual player.

>Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot. PLaying
>the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I would be able,
>as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I am useful. (Note, I
>am not talking about raid-level gear or anything like that, simply gear
>that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).

Making a Ranger,reading eqtraders.com,"fear kiting" animals and
"foraging" will easily keep you at the same level of gear as the
oldtimers.I use my 55 Ranger to "twink" my 66 Cleric and
have fun while doing so.

Uland 67 Ranger
Mheldur 66 Cleric
Melforge 55 Ranger
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:12:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
news:slrnddg6a9.76m.faned@wyld.qx.net...
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
>
> As far as group demand, shamans, enchanters, and clerics all get groups
with
> comparative ease. They *can* solo, but none are particularly good at it,
so
> that's the tradeoff.

Chanters are great soloers.....
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:
>
> "Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
> news:slrnddg6a9.76m.faned@wyld.qx.net...
> > <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
> >
> > As far as group demand, shamans, enchanters, and clerics all get groups
> with
> > comparative ease. They *can* solo, but none are particularly good at it,
> so
> > that's the tradeoff.
>
> Chanters are great soloers.....

So are bards, which I specifically left out of my response due to it being a
"newbie" request. Enchanter soloing isn't for newbies. =)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:28:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
news:slrnddg6a9.76m.faned@wyld.qx.net:

> At the lower levels, which will last quite a while with that play
> schedule, you'll be fine. It's only when you get to level 60+ where
> you might face some difficulties.

Excellent

> If you plan ahead and plan on always having such a play schedule you
> can pick a solo capable class to ease any difficulties. Druid would
> seem like a good choice for you, with tremendous solo ability and
> still highly desirable for groups (two far different playstyles
> between the soloing and grouping druid, though). Necromancer is
> another popular solo capable choice. There are other solo capable
> classes, but unlike the druid and necro they don't come with an "easy"
> setting (figuratively speaking) so probably wouldn't be good for a
> true newbie.
>
> All classes can solo at lower levels, so don't be afraid to start up
> one of each and try them all out to form your own opinions.

With 8 slots per server and a whole lot of servers to choose from, I
think I will have lots to do.

> As far as group demand, shamans, enchanters, and clerics all get
> groups with comparative ease. They *can* solo, but none are
> particularly good at it, so that's the tradeoff.

I don't mind it taking a lot longer to solo, as long as I have fun.
Whether or not the soloing with those classes meets my definition of fun,
I guess I will wait and see.

> Honestly, and don't let this deter you from EQ as I myself consider it
> the best of the online game options available right now, WoW and Guild
> Wars both offer a more time-challenged-friendly environment, and both
> are good games. You might do some reading on those and see whether
> they would be worth a try.

I have done a lot of reading on both of those. I have Guild Wars and
enjoy it, but I also wanted to try EQ. I have some good friends that
enjoy it and figured what the hell. I have looked at WoW as well, but I
think that I will wait a while before I pick it up and start it.

Thanks again. I just installed the Platinum pack, and am waiting for it
to finish patching before I install the OoW and DoN.



--
Marcel and Moogli
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:30:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

ModernCelt <sywscott@ptd.net> wrote in
news:p YOdnbZOVYADhEXfUSdV9g@ptd.net:

> I too have a similar schedule, and, playing EQ2, I can tell you that I
> am diong fairly well. I have both a 29 Paladin who has now completed
> 324 quests (The most in our guild, Resolute on Lucan D'Lere) a 22
> Warden, and a few others up to about 14. In all likelyhood I would
> not try this playing EQ, as my limited time periods make finding
> groups difficult and unfair to both me and the groups as we are likely
> just getting into a groove when I have to depart. EQ2 however, I have
> managed to solo very well with all of my toons at any time of day.
> The few times I needed help completeing quests I had little difficulty
> putting together a group capable of completing the task. I take it
> upon myself to start a group for a quest I need if I see none being
> advertised. While I know that I could quite likely be much further up
> the food chain if I grouped more for longer periods in prime times, I
> am happy with my progress and status thus far.

Unfortunately, the minimum requirements of EQII are a bit too close to what
I have by way of computer for me to be comfortable buying it right now.
Maybe in the fall/winter when I get a newer/better one, I might do that.

Thanks!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns9694A54D3D622Rumbledorhotmailcom@216.148.227.77:

> They have put a ton of work into making EQ more newbie- and solo-
> friendly over the past couple of years. There are some classes that
> you will likely want to stay away from if you plan to do a *lot* of
> soloing (rogue, warrior, cleric to name a few), but you can create
> several, decide which one best fits your play style best and go from
> there. Most classes solo just fine during the early levels, whereas
> some (druid, necromancer, bard for example) excel at doing so
> throughout most of the game.

Thanks!!

> As far as difficulty finding groups goes, I'd recommend starting on
> the Stromm server, as it appears to have a healthy population at most
> levels, making it easier to find groups when you want to.

I was reading some other threads, and that was going to be one of my next
questions... WHat servers have a decent amount of low-level characters.

<snip>
> If you do decide to go with EQ, drop me a line. I have low-level alts
> on both Stromm and Firiona Vie and would be happy to group with you
> when I play them. However, I notice that you may be in Europe (judging
> by your name), in which case, our play times may not coincide often,
> although if it's Canada, that wouldn't pose nearly the problem. ;) 

Not in Europe, am in Canada. I was reading some info, and I read that
Firiona Vie is the RP server, so that is the one I will probably start out
on.

> Check out some of the EQ links found here for more information on the
> various classes:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/83es7

Thanks for the links!!
--
Marcel and Moogli
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:34:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
news:3pngd1dmdtahjc37o4f0a8ksh8tjt6n05i@4ax.com:

> On 15 Jul 2005 20:03:01 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
>
>>Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the
>>decision to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>>
>>Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as
>>I like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and
>>maybe 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with
>>what I have read in here about how difficult it is to get groups on
>>some servers/in some areas make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
>
> Its possible to find groups of any level fairly easy,if you know which
> zone the crowd goes,although in my experience it becomes harder
> from 55 up 65,because 55 is the point for most people when they retire
> their alts because leveling takes exceptional longer from now on.

Cool. Although the temptation to go into some of the older zones just may
be too high. I imagine that there are a lot of zones that are pretty much
abandoned becauise of newer ones, right?? Which ones are those so I can
keep it in mind and explore those ones as well?

<snip>

Thanks for all that respopnded!!



--
Marcel and Moogli
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:06:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Marcel Beaudoin" <mbeauINVALID@Sympatico.INVALID.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns96959E9A57296mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4...
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
> news:3pngd1dmdtahjc37o4f0a8ksh8tjt6n05i@4ax.com:
>
> > On 15 Jul 2005 20:03:01 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> > <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the
> >>decision to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
> >>
> >>Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as
> >>I like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and
> >>maybe 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with
> >>what I have read in here about how difficult it is to get groups on
> >>some servers/in some areas make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
> >
> > Its possible to find groups of any level fairly easy,if you know which
> > zone the crowd goes,although in my experience it becomes harder
> > from 55 up 65,because 55 is the point for most people when they retire
> > their alts because leveling takes exceptional longer from now on.
>
> Cool. Although the temptation to go into some of the older zones just may
> be too high. I imagine that there are a lot of zones that are pretty much
> abandoned becauise of newer ones, right?? Which ones are those so I can
> keep it in mind and explore those ones as well?
>

Unless things have changed greatly since I left, most of them.

The herd generally tends to migrate to only one or two zones per level range.
If you're forced to depend on them for pickup groups, you'll most likely find
yourself funneled along with them.
July 17, 2005 6:48:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <D8mdnUgmxeCcMkTfRVn-hA@adelphia.com>,
davian@nospammindspring.com says...
>
>
> "Marcel Beaudoin" <mbeauINVALID@Sympatico.INVALID.ca> wrote in message
> news:Xns96959E9A57296mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4...
> > Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
> > news:3pngd1dmdtahjc37o4f0a8ksh8tjt6n05i@4ax.com:
> >
> > > On 15 Jul 2005 20:03:01 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> > > <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >>Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the
> > >>decision to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
> > >>
> > >>Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often as
> > >>I like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and
> > >>maybe 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with
> > >>what I have read in here about how difficult it is to get groups on
> > >>some servers/in some areas make me hesitate before I pick up the game.
> > >
> > > Its possible to find groups of any level fairly easy,if you know which
> > > zone the crowd goes,although in my experience it becomes harder
> > > from 55 up 65,because 55 is the point for most people when they retire
> > > their alts because leveling takes exceptional longer from now on.
> >
> > Cool. Although the temptation to go into some of the older zones just may
> > be too high. I imagine that there are a lot of zones that are pretty much
> > abandoned becauise of newer ones, right?? Which ones are those so I can
> > keep it in mind and explore those ones as well?
> >
>
> Unless things have changed greatly since I left, most of them.
>
> The herd generally tends to migrate to only one or two zones per level range.
> If you're forced to depend on them for pickup groups, you'll most likely find
> yourself funneled along with them.

You get an in game email every time you ding a level in EQ now. Its
actually kind of fun to see where they send you. Its a nice tour of EQ.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:22:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@Sympatico.INVALID.ca> wrote in
news:Xns96959E9A57296mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4:

> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
> news:3pngd1dmdtahjc37o4f0a8ksh8tjt6n05i@4ax.com:
>
>> On 15 Jul 2005 20:03:01 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Potential newbie here and I have some questions before I make the
>>>decision to shell out some $$$ for EQ.
>>>
>>>Due to RL (wife and 4 month old daughter) I cannnot get on as often
>>>as I like. An hour or two (total) in the evenings during the week and
>>>maybe 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. The limited time, combined with
>>>what I have read in here about how difficult it is to get groups on
>>>some servers/in some areas make me hesitate before I pick up the
>>>game.
>>
>> Its possible to find groups of any level fairly easy,if you know
>> which zone the crowd goes,although in my experience it becomes harder
>> from 55 up 65,because 55 is the point for most people when they
>> retire their alts because leveling takes exceptional longer from now
>> on.
>
> Cool. Although the temptation to go into some of the older zones just
> may be too high. I imagine that there are a lot of zones that are
> pretty much abandoned becauise of newer ones, right?? Which ones are
> those so I can keep it in mind and explore those ones as well?
>

Check out EQAtlas.com. They list all the zones by order of expansions.
You can just look at those listed above Luclin or even Velious (though
Velious is considered by many to have some of the best older content).

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:26:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Marcel Beaudoin" <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9694A2BA48A00mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4...
> In all likelyhood (near certainty for the near and medium-term future)
> raiding will not be an issue for me. However, the ability to solo (or at
> the very least find a group quickly) is fairly important. Are there
> classes/races that can effectively solo or find groups rapidly?
>

Try a mage, I move-logged my mage at lvl 48 and was able to solo with her
easily with no gear at all on (this was before you could move log with gear
and items). I wound up soloing her till 55 or so before I found a guild that
suited my play times and didn't wince away from my still half-naked and
poorly equiped character. As a mage I can still solo somewhat reliably at
lvl 65 and finding groups hasn't been a problem either, people love the
damage output of a mage :) 

> Coming from another MMORPG completely (CoH), I am not used to loot.
PLaying
> the schedule that I mentioned above, how likely is it that I would be
able,
> as I level, keep my equipment level high enough that I am useful. (Note, I
> am not talking about raid-level gear or anything like that, simply gear
> that won't make people laugh tooo hard at me).
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Marcel
> http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/