• 8 %
  • 200-500
  • 3 %
  • 500-1000
  • 3 %
  • 1000+
  • 0 %
September 17, 2012 5:36:46 PM

Do you ever buy steam games just because they are on sale too; for example I bought home front the other day because it was only 3.75$.

More about : steam games

September 17, 2012 7:32:10 PM

If there is a game I really want, I don't wait for it to go on sale, I just buy it for whatever the price is.

If I find a game on sale that I think I might enjoy, I buy it. So I have tons of games that I bought but haven't played yet. So many $40+ games were on sale for $10-25 so I felt like I -had- to buy them.
September 17, 2012 7:40:36 PM

Portal and Portal2
not really a gamer until I saw the hunter vid for Crysis 3,
Installing crysis now and I noticed ME and ME2 are also games I lease
Moto
Related resources
September 17, 2012 7:52:45 PM

Team fortress 2, Black mesa and Portal 2. And portal 2 was a gift. I personally hate steam - I always try to buy retail version if there's one available.
September 17, 2012 8:28:44 PM

It would have been good to separate 0 from 1-25, so those who don't want to use Steam can make it apparent. I personally have 25ish games, but I know there are those who refuse to use the service.
September 17, 2012 9:16:53 PM

I applaud steam for all the latest effort they're putting forth to making their service not only a storefront but also a modding hub, a social media and an organizational tool when it comes to gaming. They've come a long way, and even though they've proven that their service works as a digital game store, they are also trying to add more features to let different people connect and enjoy the game toghether or bring their creativity in one place to help everyone enjoy the game more.

I have a small library of games on steam, only whatever necessitated to keep up gaming with my friends. But occasional sales for good items do come in handy.
September 17, 2012 9:40:11 PM

No one owns ANY Steam games. You basically are paying a one-time indefinite rental fee for games, you do NOT own them in any way, shape, or form. At any point it chooses, Valve can lock you out of your Steam account and you lose access to all games purchased via Steam. That said, the number of games I've actually bought via Steam would be probably 7, all of them purchased at deep discount because of the fact that Valve could up and remove access to them for me some day. I only buy games when I figure the cost is equal to or less than the value of a single playthrough. Doesn't matter how unlikely it is Valve will ever decide to lock me out of my account, they can, so I will be very sparing in the amount of money I spend via Steam.
September 17, 2012 9:45:48 PM

Unless Steam goes out of business, or you have a problem with cheating or a hot temper where you use foul language a lot (not even sure on this one), I don't see how you can lose access to Steam.

It doesn't really bother me much anyway. I tend to not play games after my first few months with them and after a couple years away from playing a game, I often reload it only to be very disappointed with the game and will uninstall it.
September 17, 2012 10:45:41 PM

cl-scott said:
No one owns ANY Steam games. You basically are paying a one-time indefinite rental fee for games, you do NOT own them in any way, shape, or form. At any point it chooses, Valve can lock you out of your Steam account and you lose access to all games purchased via Steam. That said, the number of games I've actually bought via Steam would be probably 7, all of them purchased at deep discount because of the fact that Valve could up and remove access to them for me some day. I only buy games when I figure the cost is equal to or less than the value of a single playthrough. Doesn't matter how unlikely it is Valve will ever decide to lock me out of my account, they can, so I will be very sparing in the amount of money I spend via Steam.

Just so you know, you don't own any physical copies either, you own a license to use them in ways only deemed appropriate.

Quote:
Team fortress 2, Black mesa and Portal 2. And portal 2 was a gift. I personally hate steam - I always try to buy retail version if there's one available.

I sure miss retail boxes, having a physical copy has a nice feeling.
September 17, 2012 11:56:16 PM

More than I should :( 
September 18, 2012 6:10:31 AM

ZERO
September 18, 2012 5:27:19 PM

re: steam can take away your account

I kinda find that argument silly, let me explain:

1. steam is very unlikely to go out of business, even if valve goes bankrupt somebody else will buy them out and continue running the service.
2. getting banned from steam is very hard if you're a legit gamer. if you cheat and hack and exploit on the other hand, yeah ok, you should probably avoid Valve games. valve randomly denying you access is first of all resolveable, second is probably less likely than your house burning down with all your physical copies inside of it.
3. The only issue I would see for people not liking using steam is if they got spotty internet access and having to wait to download a game when you wish to reinstall it. (But honestly there's ways around that, and there's negatives to having a physical copy to install from as well)

So, lastly, the only problem that is factual regarding steam or any other digital distributor - you don't have a shiny box to put on a shelf. It's a problem for old school collectors, where they want the collector edition with all the extra booklets, posters, action figures and what not, to toy around a bit and then put on a shelf to be proud of it and being able to say - "there, see, I have it"
September 18, 2012 5:33:15 PM

AntiZig said:

1. steam is very unlikely to go out of business, even if valve goes bankrupt somebody else will buy them out and continue running the service.
2. getting banned from steam is very hard if you're a legit gamer. if you cheat and hack and exploit on the other hand, yeah ok, you should probably avoid Valve games. valve randomly denying you access is first of all resolveable, second is probably less likely than your house burning down with all your physical copies inside of it.
3. The only issue I would see for people not liking using steam is if they got spotty internet access and having to wait to download a game when you wish to reinstall it. (But honestly there's ways around that, and there's negatives to having a physical copy to install from as well)

So, lastly, the only problem that is factual regarding steam or any other digital distributor - you don't have a shiny box to put on a shelf. It's a problem for old school collectors, where they want the collector edition with all the extra booklets, posters, action figures and what not, to toy around a bit and then put on a shelf to be proud of it and being able to say - "there, see, I have it"

You can actually even do that to some extent. If you go to Steam, you can backup your games, then burn them to a CD. It comes with all the data and download with an installer. It will still require you to be linked up to Steam when installing it, but it saves you the download after the first time.

I went a step further and made my own art on the CD's using a CD label maker, using game Art I found online. So now I have nice CD's of all my Steam games.
September 18, 2012 5:35:25 PM

AntiZig said:

There's are more reasons. For example, today I tried to launch Black Mesa from desktop shortcut, and had to wait 15 secs for steam to launch. After that, it went to "starting Black Mesa...", only to give error message 10 secs later "Cannot launch game while checking another games integrity". Apparently, it thought it was wise to check whether Team Fortress 2 was integral. Cool huh? Had to cancel the check and manually launch the game. While with non steam apps I just double click on the icon and bam I'm inside the game... And today wasn't the day it decided to update itself!
September 18, 2012 5:40:29 PM

Sunius said:
There's are more reasons. For example, today I tried to launch Black Mesa from desktop shortcut, and had to wait 15 secs for steam to launch. After that, it went to "starting Black Mesa...", only to give error message 10 secs later "Cannot launch game while checking another games integrity". Apparently, it thought it was wise to check whether Team Fortress 2 was integral. Cool huh? Had to cancel the check and manually launch the game. While with non steam apps I just double click on the icon and bam I'm inside the game... And today wasn't the day it decided to update itself!

I'll take that over having to swap CD's, as that has to be extremely rare (I've never had that happen). I have had it where it couldn't connect to Steam, which takes about 10-15 seconds, after which it let me bypass Steam.

On the other hand, some of the CD DRM's have made me call their company multiple times to reactivate my copy, because changing a piece of hardware counts as a new install.
September 18, 2012 6:03:47 PM

edogawa said:
Just so you know, you don't own any physical copies either, you own a license to use them in ways only deemed appropriate.

A fair and true point, which I will not dispute. It applies to virtually all software, not just games.

As for a lot of the rest. Do not mistake my intent. I am playing something of a devil's advocate, making sure that people are aware of this important little fact that is basically buried in a whole lot of legalese that most people will never read. I am quite aware of the fact that it would be counter to Valve's overarching interests to lock people out of their accounts, but it CAN happen, and basically Valve has said they can do it at any time, for any reason, and you have ZERO recourse.

While I have absolutely no expectations that it will ever happen, I do hold out a small sliver of hope that enough people will start to see the extent to which they have been slowly signing away a lot of rights to corporations, and there will be some kind of a social backlash against the worst offenders. Even were that to happen, I doubt Valve would be one of the companies really caught in the crosshairs, but I think they should be called out regarding this particular policy, same as every other company that does something similar.
September 18, 2012 6:42:54 PM

bystander said:
I'll take that over having to swap CD's, as that has to be extremely rare (I've never had that happen). I have had it where it couldn't connect to Steam, which takes about 10-15 seconds, after which it let me bypass Steam.

On the other hand, some of the CD DRM's have made me call their company multiple times to reactivate my copy, because changing a piece of hardware counts as a new install.

Well, I suppose CD DRM is annoying too. I personally like Blizzard DRM: you don't need any other program or inserted CD.
September 18, 2012 6:55:09 PM

Sunius said:
Well, I suppose CD DRM is annoying too. I personally like Blizzard DRM: you don't need any other program or inserted CD.

Well, that's because it's an online game. It has built in DRM by it's vary nature.
September 18, 2012 8:01:55 PM

"An online game"? All their games are like that actually :p .
September 18, 2012 8:21:43 PM

Sunius said:
"An online game"? All their games are like that actually :p .

Almost none of my Steam games are online, other than the process of validating the game on Steam (the DRM process), and if Steam is down, I can still play it. However, an MMO is always played online, which you log into. Why would there be a 2nd validation system?
September 18, 2012 10:44:24 PM

Sunius said:

Oh no you didn't! I love me some Diablo 3 in single player, have to be connected to blizzardserver or take a hike.

Until then blizzard games (SC1, WC2, 3) required a CD check to run the game. Not sure about SC2 as I don't own it, but probably have to be logged into Battlenet to play campaign...

But then again, how many single player only games does blizzard make?

Point is guys, Steam is a very lenient DRM out there. There's plenty of games on steam where the games install DRM on top of steam (ubisoft games being a prime example of this). Considering though that Valve doesn't own like 99% of the games they are distributing on steam, I guess Valve could really care less about strict DRM policies.

Quote:
Sunius:
Yes, true, steam has its wimpy moments, but most of them are encountered during start-up only. Even then, nobody said it's perfect. All I'm trying to say is, if people chose not to use steam for its feature of checking for updates to the installed games on startup (a feature that you can turn off by the way) that's a really poor excuse not to take advantage of all the other FUNCTIONAL features steam brings to the table.

Like, let me point this out, you know how steam tracks your game time on various games (just like x-fire). Well, I don't know how many people are aware but you're not limited to steam only games. You can add a non-steam game for steam to track (link it to the exe that you launch) and when you're playing that game, even if it's not on Steam officially, you can launch it through steam, steam will track how much time you spend playing it and your friends on steam will be able to see which game you're playing. It's a tiny little feature seemingly, but I find that totally awesome.
September 19, 2012 4:34:27 AM

AntiZig said:
Like, let me point this out, you know how steam tracks your game time on various games (just like x-fire). Well, I don't know how many people are aware but you're not limited to steam only games. You can add a non-steam game for steam to track (link it to the exe that you launch) and when you're playing that game, even if it's not on Steam officially, you can launch it through steam, steam will track how much time you spend playing it and your friends on steam will be able to see which game you're playing. It's a tiny little feature seemingly, but I find that totally awesome.

Would there be any reason I would want myself being tracked? :p  The non steam games added to steam begin to bug too much, I can't understand how it can be a useful feature...
September 19, 2012 6:39:35 AM

So you know exactly how much time you've lost to Crysis or Warcraft? :p 
Moto
September 19, 2012 7:36:41 AM

Zero games, no client, no account.
January 12, 2013 11:47:25 PM

cl-scott said:

We have a commie in our midst.
January 13, 2013 1:25:09 AM

According to my profile I have 73. I personally love Steam. I don't have to worry about accidentally damaging a disk and I don't have to actually insert the disk to play games. Plus it's generally much cheaper than retail. I love the Steam sales. Buying full, decent games for $2.50.

EDIT: Though, it is nice to have physical copies of games. I like it best when you buy the disc version and activate it through Steam like with Skyrim. That way you get the benefits I listed above, but you also have a case, instruction manual, etc to hold onto.
January 13, 2013 1:29:55 AM

Around 13 or so.
January 13, 2013 10:39:46 AM

voiidwulf said:
That is legendary.

I don't know - I have seen some with a lot more than this.

But thanks. :D 
January 13, 2013 10:46:19 AM

I thought my collection of 87 on steam was a bit much !

nice collection there PCgamer81.

January 13, 2013 11:03:28 AM

i have about as many games on disk. but steam i have maybe 15 games total. i just use it when i cant find a retail copy.
to be honest both formats have become annoying over the last couple of years.
retails because there getting harder to find and steam because it doesnt offer every game i want. i have to use the crap ware that is origin.
January 13, 2013 1:06:10 PM

I think a lot of people miss the point of this thread. To answer it, yeah, i occasionally just buy random crap on steam that i'll probably never play, heres a list of the things i bought during the winter sale: AC2, Basement collection, Batman: Arkham asylum
Bit.trip runner, cave story+, full THQ pack, cs:s, crysis, crysis 2, crysis warhead, deus ex, deus ex human revoluton, dota 2, far cry, forge, garrys mod, gratuitous space battles, jamestown, killing floor, magicka, metro 2033, natural selection 2, Super meatboy, binding of isaac, shank, and torchlight 2. So yeah.
January 13, 2013 11:10:59 PM

HEXiT said:
i have to use the crap ware that is origin.
I have about 15 games on Origin and actually prefer it to Steam. I don't like being pestered by friends in-game, I don't like having to have Steam run in-game (I don't have to run Origin half the time), and there are a few other little things I like about - such as the customer support and such.
January 13, 2013 11:25:07 PM

lol your happy having spyware on your pc? wow good for you... i guess you think its ok for the american government to read every 1s emails to stop terrorism.
January 13, 2013 11:40:30 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I have about 15 games on Origin and actually prefer it to Steam. I don't like being pestered by friends in-game, I don't like having to have Steam run in-game (I don't have to run Origin half the time), and there are a few other little things I like about - such as the customer support and such.

I don't have any problems with Origin itself, I just dislike having to use two programs like that. I would prefer if all games were on both or only one of them existed.
January 14, 2013 1:22:42 AM

HEXiT said:
lol your happy having spyware on your pc? wow good for you... i guess you think its ok for the american government to read every 1s emails to stop terrorism.

No, I support the right of game developers to protect their IPs. If anything, I take exception to all of the butthurt entitlement that we get from the consumers.

I made a nice little thread about all of the retarded, anti-corporatist drivel that permeates gaming forums. I have no use nor patience for left-leaning, anti-big business nonsense.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/125860-13-anti-corpor...

As for the government, well, I don't have anything to hide. Let them check!

Cheerio.
January 14, 2013 11:30:51 AM

I buy games when on sale and if i really want them.

Kinda simple, but it works.
January 14, 2013 2:21:44 PM

I own 12 games. Have only completed 5 of them the others I wish I hadn't purchased.
March 19, 2013 1:28:47 PM

voiidwulf said:
According to my profile I have 73. I personally love Steam. I don't have to worry about accidentally damaging a disk and I don't have to actually insert the disk to play games. Plus it's generally much cheaper than retail. I love the Steam sales. Buying full, decent games for $2.50.

EDIT: Though, it is nice to have physical copies of games. I like it best when you buy the disc version and activate it through Steam like with Skyrim. That way you get the benefits I listed above, but you also have a case, instruction manual, etc to hold onto.

Agreed, if I can get games with a CD and other goods still and it activates on Steam I will order the physical copy. Be nice if you could order physical copies through Steam too.
March 19, 2013 3:55:51 PM

87!! :) 
!