HP 712C Will not print

WINXP Home SP2 system. I have run through all the printer tests.
Uninstall reinstall drivers/printer/ports,plug unplug power,try another
port,print from command prompt, print from notepad, etc.. The printer
Self test page prints ok.. Tried new printer cable.
I am still getting "print error" and no printing. On "testing of Port"
it said that "there MAY be a problem with the parallel port". The
printing was working fine up until 16th of June. The only changes were 2
automatic WINXP updates which I removed.

Any suggestions to try now? Thx, Hugh

What is the setting of the LPT (parallel) port in the BIOS?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Hugh McConville" <hmcconville@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> WINXP Home SP2 system. I have run through all the printer tests.
> Uninstall reinstall drivers/printer/ports,plug unplug power,try another
> port,print from command prompt, print from notepad, etc.. The printer
> Self test page prints ok.. Tried new printer cable.
> I am still getting "print error" and no printing. On "testing of Port"
> it said that "there MAY be a problem with the parallel port". The
> printing was working fine up until 16th of June. The only changes were 2
> automatic WINXP updates which I removed.
>
> Any suggestions to try now? Thx, Hugh

Byte

Removing WinXP Updates is not a very wise move nor will it solve your
issues. Follow Cari's advice and check the BIOS settings.
Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
--
Windows Beta Tester and
Programmer WNP

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the setting of the LPT (parallel) port in the BIOS?
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Hugh McConville" <hmcconville@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > WINXP Home SP2 system. I have run through all the printer tests.
> > Uninstall reinstall drivers/printer/ports,plug unplug power,try another
> > port,print from command prompt, print from notepad, etc.. The printer
> > Self test page prints ok.. Tried new printer cable.
> > I am still getting "print error" and no printing. On "testing of Port"
> > it said that "there MAY be a problem with the parallel port". The
> > printing was working fine up until 16th of June. The only changes were 2
> > automatic WINXP updates which I removed.
> >
> > Any suggestions to try now? Thx, Hugh

Thank you Cari,

It was the BIOS parallel port that was disabled. I did not think that
this setting could be lost!

Hugh

On 26/05/2005 2:25 PM, Cari (MS-MVP):